Galactus' Super-Nuke

Options
skittledaddy
skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
I couldn't find this anywhere else in the forum. Apologies if I missed it...

Can Galactus' 28- Black Super-Nuke be avoided in any way?

If you're airborne?

Is it considered an AoE , thus allowing Nightcrawler to avoid?
If it's not considered AoE, then can you avoid it by being invisible?

Tagged:

Comments

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    down him before it fires...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm trying to remember if it does 1,000,000 points AoE still or if they changed it to a code that just kills your characters regardless of what state they're in.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably works like Deadpool's super whales where it ends the fight instantly no matter what. I believe that it mentions in the description for that ability that it counts as an instant win for Galactus.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are three effects. The first, destroying the entire board, is probably survivable, by some characters at least. The second, doing 1,000,000 damage to your entire team, should be avoidable by Airborne characters. The third, tho, is that Galactus instantly wins the fight, which I'm pretty sure there's no way to stop.
  • Magipink
    Magipink Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I"m not sure of the instant win. I think Hulk comes back as Banner. I'm also pretty sure the damages are made first because when Phoenix is down her countdown is swipe by the renewal of the board.

And for airborne i think that"s works but not sure. No clue for Nightcraler.

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,565 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Magipink said:
    I"m not sure of the instant win. I think Hulk comes back as Banner. I'm also pretty sure the damages are made first because when Phoenix is down her countdown is swipe by the renewal of the board.

And for airborne i think that"s works but not sure. No clue for Nightcraler.

I can confirm that Hulk coming back as Banner survived Galactus, but I only managed to do that once in May 2018, so this might be a glitch or working as planned.
    Banner tends to survive quite a few of these nukes, which is why I keep using him in Boss battles.

EDIT: this time Banner didn't survive Cosmic Wraith, so maybe this was indeed a bug.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can LumberCap stop him from firing the ability with his purple?
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,565 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Can LumberCap stop him from firing the ability with his purple?
    Haven't tried that one, but Thanos' purple stops Galactus' purple, so you can at least delay it.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    LumberCap's purple doesn't stop the power that creates the new countdown tiles (I forget which color that is), so I suppose it doesn't stop the final blast.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There's also Shuri as a possibility.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZeiramMR said:
    There's also Shuri as a possibility.
    Both her and Peggy cause Galactus to need 30 black AP rather than 28. I believe that did work before so a loop hole closed.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He eats Earth. Being airborne ain't gonna help anyone, where will they land?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    He eats Earth. Being airborne ain't gonna help anyone, where will they land?
    His small intestine?
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    CT1888 said:
    Tried it with Nightcrawler. 

He died. 
    RIP Nightcrawler. You'll be missed.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    CT1888 said:
    Tried it with Nightcrawler. 

He died. 
    I wonder it that holds true for anyone Airborne BEFORE the nuke?

Oh well... more to consider (or not) next time he comes around.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In the past, I'd use Colossus specifically because he could throw someone just before Galactus's black went off. This no longer works.
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Since I was bored after the event ended I tried various possibilities...

My memories a bit foggy but I thought the reduction to 28 black from the initially announced 30 was to prevent 4* Star-Lord (whose yellow at the time I believe increased enemy power cost) from blocking Galactus from firing. I tried with Peggy and even with 5 on yellow she didn't stop him from firing at 28. I tried with Shuri and had enough fortified tiles out to satisfy her increase enemy AP requirements. It did stop him from firing at 28, but then he consumed more tiles and even though the counter showed 30 (and Shuri should have made it cost 31) my only theory is that behind the scenes something is counting his excess because he fired (or it's a bug). Cap's purple worked well and stopped him from firing even at 30. Archangel's black did prevent Galactus AP generation.

Personally, I think they should rephrase the ability to just say it wipes out the enemy team and not mention any AOE damage numbers because I feel as worded Nightcrawler should have dodged (I tried it as well). It should also be reworded to say he is immune to enemy powers that raise AP costs if he really isn't going to honor them. I personally think that would have been better from the get go rather than reducing the cost to 28 to satisfy the only person who could stop him at the time. Given the precedence that Bosses are immune to stun (which already nullifies a number of character's with that power) and things of that nature and in this cases are supposed to be super powerful I don't have a problem with it. I'd rather that than ambiguous wording that doesn't match reality.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not really apropos of surviving it, but I really like this animation; too bad seeing it means you're getting stomped...