New pvp problem team

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    After Gambits Nerf, I can't see any other 5* as being OP. They're fine for now.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Thorkoye is a fine “top of the meta.” It is fast on offense but weak on defense to the point that boosted 4* teams can crush it.

To give you an idea, I ran Fistbuster for fun this last event and I was able to defeat most teams. I’m sure some people enjoyed the nostalgia. 

That team has no problem with Thorkoye since it has a ready nuke to burst Thor down and once that happens Okoye is more of any annoyance than anything else. 
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Zero is absolutely right. I just started the new pvp season and have beaten multiple thorkoye and other teams in Shuri's event with boosted vulture + r&g/starlord, with the highest of those being vulture at 322. 
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    I don't like the whole "it's not hard to beat on defense so it's ok" narrative that has been going on here.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't like the whole "it's not hard to beat on defense so it's ok" narrative that has been going on here.
    Why not?  That’s traditionally been the major defining feature of how character rankings have been done since the beginning.  Even the pinned guides in the guide section pretty much discusses chars in terms of atcck defense etc
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    I don’t really get this. Characters are only a problem when you are required to have them surely? The fact that Thorkoye can be beaten by a lot of different teams reasonably easily is a sign that it isn’t a problem, no?

JJ/Thor or Thorkoye are probably the most effective teams right now, but they are far from a barrier to winning matches in PvP. Gambit most definitely was.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Let’s try some alternative arguments/narratives then!

1. Thorkoye isn’t a full rainbow and makes poor use of black (which it collects) and purple, leaving it vulnerable to bad boards. (Kinda, when on D)

2. Thorkoye is an MCU tie-in so the current meta is relevant to the movies.

3. Thorkoye is a pleasingly diverse power couple!

4. Thorkoye sounds better than Thorbit (reminds me of an awful Eddie Murphy movie) or Gamthor (Gambit? Gamora?)

5. Who doesn’t love a strategy based on TU AP???? It’s MPQ’s Moneyball

There must be more snark to come.....
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Thor / Okoye is simple to beat; against them I don't think I've ever even come close to losing. Granted I am using my own Thor + other champed 5* but still, it's *nothing* like Gambit was.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Instead of complaining about how Thor at half health is annoying, complain about the paper weight that is the Wasp.  If you want Okoye, you have to risk the chance you might end up with Wasp tokens. 
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    This pair will be nerfed eventually since it allows the user to avoid using health packs. I climbed from 0 to 1200 yesterday without using a single health pack. 
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hadronic said:
    This pair will be nerfed eventually since it allows the user to avoid using health packs. I climbed from 0 to 1200 yesterday without using a single health pack. 
    Unfortunately you are right. I normally stop at 900 but this team just doesn't use health pack unless the opponent manages to hit your Thor way beyond 50%.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Magic said:
    Hadronic said:
    Unfortunately you are right. I normally stop at 900 but this team just doesn't use health pack unless the opponent manages to hit your Thor way beyond 50%.
    If Thor is alive, no matter how low his health its still not worth healing him.
    I have won numerous fights in a row with Thor's health starting in triple digits.
  • Magic
    Yes - I do the same. It's just eventually he dies. I will try to push to 1200 one of the next few PvP and let's see how it goes. The 900 usually takes under 1 hour and is a breez.

That's why I've said unfortunately the nerf of sorts will probably happen. They can't have a pair that allows non-health pack push like this.
  • MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Tbh I find bbolt/okoye more annoying than thor/okoye. Once bbolts passive starts dealing damage and the team has several team up ap it’s not long before your team is dead
  • Magic
    Not even close in my book. You just focus the damage on Bolt while you match the charged tiles. Then it's the question who you are attacking with - if it's Thorkoye - game is over pretty soon.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    remember when OML was all-powerful, then got nerfed?

Remember gambit?  It just happened recently, you should...

Go ahead... Keep complaining...  I'll watch.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2018
    I have a champion Okoye.

Other than the 540 Loki I recently ran across I've started not skipping any teams, even though I'm almost always only fighting duo 5* champion teams, because my "Countdown for What!!" team is good enough to take down just about anyone.

It's terrible on defense though because when I log in a few hours later I'll have been clobbered a lot, but I don't care. I'm happy to trade wins until I've got my 40 wins and 4* cover, then I go back to my PvE and wait for the next PvP event to roll around.

Maybe it's because I have a champion Okoye, and not a champion "someone else", but I don't find any of the 5-star champions that scary, just as long as they're newby champions.

*Edited: To remove vulgar language reference and warning issued. - fight4thedream
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    To be honest okoye+thor can be easily nerfed with a buff.
    Just buff pink and blue match damage for thor and now okoye can only tank yellow/black/team-up. Other okoye teams are much slower and less reliable so no problem with them. Main "issue" with okoye thor is passive AP gain(yellow/red/green). Killed thor (because he would tank everything) will require you to set up him again and that's a lot of time + Health pack.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lukoil said:
    To be honest okoye+thor can be easily nerfed with a buff.
    Just buff pink and blue match damage for thor and now okoye can only tank yellow/black/team-up. Other okoye teams are much slower and less reliable so no problem with them. Main "issue" with okoye thor is passive AP gain(yellow/red/green). Killed thor (because he would tank everything) will require you to set up him again and that's a lot of time + Health pack.

My Thor does tank purple and blue over Okoye.
    I have to make one match with him every 3 matches, tops.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Personally, I just don’t like that Thor / okoye is basically an automatic win. Bring your Thor at 1/2 heath and you can’t lose. I understand it’s beatable on defense, but it also means I can’t get any defensive wins or scare anyone away from squishing me. I admit I don’t have a Thor worth using, so this may come off as whining. 

As mentioned earlier, it also used very few health packs, which can’t sit well with the developers. I don’t know the fix, don’t even know if we NEED one, but it’s odd nonetheless. Over 90% of my defensive losses are to this team