Core set 2019 future?

Bil
Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
edited August 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
  Do we already know what will be the future of core set 2019?
  Is it going to rotate out? Is it going to join origins in the evergreen standard or to reimplace it later?

It's an important point when it comes to spending/hoarding currencies on the set and the sooner we know where we are going the better we can plan our purchases.

We had a lot of speculations before its release, of course, but is there any oficial position from d3/oktagon about it? 

Comments

• rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    I also want to know the answer.

I hope that it will merge the Origins set. If not the change of the basic set will be horrible because we will lose a lot of good cards.

For me it is better the origins set than Core set 2019.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am 80% certain that M19 will be treated like any other regular set and will not lead to any major changes in the game.  I could be wrong, but so far there is no evidence to suggest that I am.
  • rafalele
    Mburn7 said:
    I am 80% certain that M19 will be treated like any other regular set and will not lead to any major changes in the game.  I could be wrong, but so far there is no evidence to suggest that I am.
    Better than replacing Origins, tough it would be nice the merge of both.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker

From my understanding, m19 should logically join origins but not replace it.

@Brigby can we get some clarification on the future of m19?
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    I'd place my money on it rotating out.

The developers have made it pretty clear that they aren't going to do anything drastic to the framework of this game (ex: more story mode, unique events, etc).  Making m19 a new Origins block would be too extreme for them.
  • MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Paper MTG did changes to their block system at the release of Origins, saying that it was to be the last core set and switched from 3 set blocks to 2 set blocks. They later announced that each set is to be large instead of a large and small release (so each set will have ~270 cards instead of one at ~270 and one at ~190 in a block) and each set being independent (so no more blocks). However they have not done this yet, and changed their plans by making a new core set. We know the next block is going to be another ravnica block, and it will be a block of 2 sets (those 2 have been announced) which sticks to the 2 sets in a block theme, so M19 is really set 2 in Dominaria block. There wasnt a heavy amount of reprints in M19 like in typical core sets. The purpose of core sets is to keep standard in check with reprints that are relevant to standard, however paper standard is all sets in a 2 year window while mtgpq standard is all sets in a 1 year window
    We dont know what is coming out after the two ravnica sets, but what is MTG going to do after that? I am certain they will stick to 4 official sets a year, but will they do a core set every year and make it independent or will they do a core every other year like pre 2009? Are blocks going to be two consecutive large sets or just each a large independent set that has synergies with the set before and after?

Also with the gap in MTGPQ releases, that means that if they keep up with paper releases, come early October when the new ravnica set comes out, IXL should NOT rotate out as it hasn't been in standard for 1 full year. IXL came out in Feb 2018, RIX came out March 2018, DOM in May 2018 - and normally sets come out in Jan/April/July/Oct, so IXL will stay standard until Jan (rav2 set) and RIX and Dom until April (or will they drop 2 at once?)

I really think m19 will just be treated like a regular expansion as it is basically set 2 in the Dominaria block.
  • ninjark
    ninjark Posts: 50 Match Maker
    edited August 2018
    Although... if Origins did rotate out when Guilds of Ravnica releases, paper MTG and MTGPQ's Standard would align!  (Ixalan, Rivals, Dominaria, M19, Guilds).  

https://whatsinstandard.com/ 

Paper = Once per year, when the fall set releases, the four oldest sets in Standard rotate out.
    (Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, Amonkhet, Hour will rotate when the Guilds set releases)

With paper Magic we know 1-2 years out what's happening with Standard rotations.

It would be nice if we had more than one or two weeks' advance notice for MTGPQ.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. As was mentioned in the 2.8 Release Notes, Core Set 2019 rotated into Standard as a standalone set in Magic: Puzzle Quest. It is not replacing nor merging with Origins.

Magic: Puzzle Quest's Standard block is currently Origins, Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, Core Set 2019
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. As was mentioned in the 2.8 Release Notes, Core Set 2019 rotated into Standard as a standalone set in Magic: Puzzle Quest. It is not replacing nor merging with Origins.

Magic: Puzzle Quest's Standard block is currently Origins, Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, Core Set 2019

Just for clarification, is it safe to assume that Core Set 2019 will rotate out of standard at some point in the future or is it going to be sticking around permanently alongside Origins?
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Brigby said:

Players are aware of what's currently in standard. However, since it's a core set, we are not 100% sure if octagon plans to rotate it out eventually like other sets. I'd suggest that they should really consider making M19 permanently stay in standard along side Origins. 
  • Wolfbane
    Wolfbane Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    As Brigby stated that M19 will not replace nor merge with origins I thnik it is safe to assume that M19 will rotate out of standard once the set after the 2 ravnica blocks hits the game.

just my 2 cents of course :-D
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    It will be nice to not have to assume and instead know for sure what was planned, once and for all.
  • rafalele
    edited August 2018
    Mburn7 said:
    Guys, you're all overthinking this.  M19 is being treated like any other set.  That's it.
    Yes, in paper it is called a "Core Set" but here its just M19. 

Just read the vault: "Core Set 19"
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the end, all we really have is Origins and a heap of legacy.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Time for more legacy events I think. 
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor

Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I spoke with the team today, and they have confirmed that Core Set 2019 is being treated as if it was any other standalone, independent set. There are no plans to have it merge with nor replace Origins. It will rotate out of Standard, once that time comes.
    Thanks for the heads-up @Brigby
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards

Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I spoke with the team today, and they have confirmed that Core Set 2019 is being treated as if it was any other standalone, independent set. There are no plans to have it merge with nor replace Origins. It will rotate out of Standard, once that time comes.

*Stares at the dead horse*

kick kick… kickity, kick kick

Yep Pardner, I's be purdy sure ..*pahtooie* … dat horse dere is as dead as a doornail.