If you could only bring one

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* daredevil easy. True healing up to 50% of his health, can steal opponent specials, stun, and smack em for bonus damage while they are stunned.

His green is surprisingly fun too. If you can destroy it with a 4 or 5 way you get extra damage and a refresh on his countdown. Same thing happens if the enemy matches it.

As a character all on their own, nobody matches his usefulness in my mind.

Put some elemental blasters on him and he is fortifying specials like crazy.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    My only issue with solo Vulture is that when he's airborne, you're basically taking yourself out of any active board control. Yeah, he's mostly invulnerable during that time, but Vulture is going to run out of black and be forced to land. In the meantime, goons are spitting out tiles; by then there could be several countdowns on the board and no black matches to get you back up. Maybe you can fire blue and get your green countdown on the board, but is that enough before sniper rifles or symbiote antics hit Vulture's squishy little bod?
    Every time you go airborne if you have 10 Blue AP you destroy 3 to 4 special tiles, so when you come down there will be less and less. You also gain Blue from going airborne so it feeds itself. I have beat teams with Vulture alone many times. Once you get started it's really hard to get killed.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Mr. Fantastic is an overlooked option for a marathon character.  Stun, improved board control, defense, heal potential, and surprisingly good damage once you can get Imaginaut out.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    2-star land? Ares. 'nuff said.

If I was in 3-star land I'd choose Vision. He'd wreck with his blue out, have some protective ability with his yellow, and a nuke/AoE option in his red. It'd be tempting to take someone like Patch or Daken for their true heal but I don't think either would work very well offensively.

Among 4-stars there are some interesting choices. Would MaxPun be too slow? I'm not sure. Invisible Woman would have the survival ability but waiting to fill her green for any offense would take forever. Elektra is decent, but... no. Cyclops would be a temping choice as he has sneaky-good board control and great offence, but I think I'd go with his teammate. Iceman can do a lot - stun, nuke, AoE, board shake. Some healthpacks would likely get used, and some +green AP boosts would get used up as well, but yeah - I think I'd go with him.

But... since I have Jessica Jones champed I'd probably just go with her and start taking everyone's picture and throwing them through doors.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    1*: Spidey
    2*: OBW, Daken or Wolverine
    3*: Patch, Hawkguy, Falcon, Daken or Strange. 
    4*: Vulture, PX, AC, IW or Ghost. 
    5*: DD, BB, BSS, SS, Banner

Self healing, invisibility, tile manipulation are the keys for me.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    If the goal is competitive PVE (like the OP indicates) then there is only one answer: 5* Thanos.

5* Dr. Strange - wastes all goons and has some healing

5* Strange doesn't heal.
    Good to know, mine is really undercovered and I don't use the 5* version.  The OP doesn't actually mention being competitive though as the goal of the event.  I still think that 5* Thanos might by himself may have sustainability issues with similar scaled goons, unless you can get his purple going early in the match on a consistent basis.  
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    4* Vulture with Stockpile +2 Green and Black AP boost AND Ebony Maw support attached, for that potential of getting 5 Black AP at the start of the battle. After that, the rinse and repeat is done, with Vulture's green dealing damage on landing and the blue removing the tiles that Muscle use to deal their damage. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think a lot of people are overlooking Okoye after being retooled to 3/5/5.  Match yellow and red, heal all day long, and harpoon away any CD tiles.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was also going to suggest 5* Banner, but a champion 5* thanos is probably the real answer I'd want in a solo.

4* Possibly unpopular opinion, but I'd consider bringing Wiccan + Hulkling Support on a solo mission that featured goons heavily. Mine isn't champed yet, but it's hard to argue with that kind of massive board shake (every match is a line clear post-demiurge) combined with a true heal and chain lightning. I'd further consider bringing Ghost to hide behind invisibility spam and similarly with a true heal. 

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    5-star: Strange.  Eats goons alive, nice stun, and can get rid of their special tiles continually with his purple.  I don't have Okoye or JJ at a high enough level to know how they would do.

4-star:  No love for X-23?  Half the matches you make will heal you up.  Set her healing to 5, and you can go all day.

3-star:  Strange.  Eats goons alive, and has healing.  If I can only pick one version of a character, replace him with Iron Fist.  Continual damage and a cheap purple to feed his black or do lots of damage.

2-star: OBW. Delay the countdown tiles.  Steal AP.  Healing.  If you want to end the game quickly, then maybe Ares?

1-star:  Spidey.  Critical tiles and a stun.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I think this would greatly depend on type of goons we were facing. Like if it's a ton of Mindless Ones, I'm bringing Strange. Is it a bunch of doombots? Let's go with Thanos then.

I think it also depends on who the tile movers are as well. For instance, 5* Daredevil isn't going to do much damage against BSS if he ends up having to fight him.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was also going to suggest 5* Banner

WAT.

• ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    4*
    Goons = Vulture (can remove CDs
    Characters = C4rol

3* = Cyke
    2* = Mags
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind said:

WAT.

Haha. It’s all about his green and black. While not being able to do too much damage as Banner, goons only have countdowns to trigger. The quicker you get to Hulk, the quicker Hulk can effort stuff up. Even dropping his black beforehand works. Those attack tiles are fairly strong and, being alone, have no negative consequences.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    jtmagee said:
    Jarvind said:

WAT.

Haha. It’s all about his green and black. While not being able to do too much damage as Banner, goons only have countdowns to trigger. The quicker you get to Hulk, the quicker Hulk can effort stuff up. Even dropping his black beforehand works. Those attack tiles are fairly strong and, being alone, have no negative consequences.
    Nah I get it. As horrendocrap as Banner is, his black is actually very strong. He works quite well with Daredevil if you can keep him from transforming - fire black and then immediately flip the negative tiles into friendly strikes.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, he is his own boss-mode House Party Protocol in this hypothetical scenario. It won’t be fast, but you will win all the fights most likely (you know, eventually)
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Shintok17 said:
    Dormammu said:
    My only issue with solo Vulture is that when he's airborne, you're basically taking yourself out of any active board control. Yeah, he's mostly invulnerable during that time, but Vulture is going to run out of black and be forced to land. In the meantime, goons are spitting out tiles; by then there could be several countdowns on the board and no black matches to get you back up. Maybe you can fire blue and get your green countdown on the board, but is that enough before sniper rifles or symbiote antics hit Vulture's squishy little bod?
    Every time you go airborne if you have 10 Blue AP you destroy 3 to 4 special tiles, so when you come down there will be less and less. You also gain Blue from going airborne so it feeds itself. I have beat teams with Vulture alone many times. Once you get started it's really hard to get killed.
    The difference with having Vulture solo vs. 1 opponent and Vulture being the last one standing from a team of 3 is that chances are you've built up quite a bit of AP. You may even have enough black AP to keep going airborne multiple times. It's harder with solo Vulture if you're not using boosts or if you have a black scarce board.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    okoye

cheap true healing
    nuke red
    increased damage from team up ap
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos.  If this is pve and you have to face goons and other chars he will “plow the road” easily. That’s what he does in PVE. 
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Assume that we are doing some sort of survival mode, I would bring Professor X and TUs to trigger his yellow.
    After that, you are invisible and those three tiles will become infinity. 
    With correct support such as chimichanga, we might be able to achieve very high rounds.