If you could only bring one

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Let's pretend there was an announcement today about a new PvE Story event that is sort of like a Heroic event on steroids.

In this event, you were restricted to one character of your choosing.

It would be a goon-heavy event but there would be some nodes with active opponents sprinkled in, with three opponents per node. There would be no essential nodes. You could bring whatever boosts (+AP, +Match Dam) or team-ups you wanted like usual, but you'd only have the one character available; that character would have to handle all your clears. Normal SCLs, placement, and progression prizes would be in play.

Who would you choose?

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    None. I would not play that event.

Real answer: probably 5* Daredevil. True healing would be huge if you only had one character, and OML can't heal without partners. Plus DD's match damage gets wild once he starts dropping strikes.
  • Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Old Man Logan
  • Raud
    Raud Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Thanos should handle this even 3*  :)
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Some ideas:

5* Daredevil
    4* IW Spider-Man
    4* Punisher
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmmm, any of the below would be fine with me...

1) America, run her 5/3/5 to up her match damage, and after a few turns she'll be spitting out crits and passive damage

2) Medusa

3) On the same vein as Jarvind, GladiaThor

4) Dark Horse, 3* Grocket or Yondu
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    1*: Spiderman
    2*: Wolverine
    3*: Hawkeye
    4*: Ghost
    5*: Daredevil
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    One character on my current roster (same level and everything? Or one max-champed character gifted to me?

If the latter, I’d take a 550 Daredevil

From my roster, my highest character (level 307 Vulture) also happens to excel in busting teams by his lonesome, so I’d take him with +4 to black to start. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    3* Hawkguy - Good self acceleration against goons, true heal
    4* Carol with a cd spam team up can do well
    5* Daredevil starting at low health every match would make quick work of it

The other thing I would think about is, What characters benefit if they tank, what characters benefit getting other color AP?

So X-23, IW Spidey, Vision, 3* Bullseye would do well for tanking all colors
    Black Bolt, Chavez, Wiccan would do well hoarding AP

• Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I'm a 4* player so my answer is skewed to the 4*'s I have champed.

4* Vulture with the Stockpile +2 Green and Black AP boost. Once I put down the Green tile and go in the air it's rinse and repeat.

4* America Chavez with the Critical Damage Boost at 125% and also the Stockpile +2 to all AP Boost.
  • Dormammu
    Dazzler has that awesome AoE stun too, where she blinds the opposing team for 5 turns.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Electra is still one of the best solo characters in the game and I think Iron Spider solo is very good as well.  Nico would be solid, good control and true heal.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Dazzler has that awesome AoE stun too, where she blinds the opposing team for 5 turns.
    and her powers create solid light holograms of Longshot and Shatterstar that take all damage aimed at her a la House Party Protocol... she's so powerful, she comes with a Forget Me Not support so no one remembers how awesome she is...
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    I'm liking 4* Cage more and more. I can't help but wonder if he wouldn't do well in such a scenario.
    He has no heal ability, but those shields can completely negate a LOT of damage coming his way. He'd constantly eliminate enemy special tiles because he'd always be in front. This of course would ensure his red nuke is as strong as possible.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Cage is great in this kind of situation the only issue is he can be on the slow side if you get a bad board drop.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Vulture.

AI fires powers in 1v1s when Vulture is airborne, just time matches/powers to avoid big hits.  He’s the best 1v1 player in the game.
  • Dormammu
    My only issue with solo Vulture is that when he's airborne, you're basically taking yourself out of any active board control. Yeah, he's mostly invulnerable during that time, but Vulture is going to run out of black and be forced to land. In the meantime, goons are spitting out tiles; by then there could be several countdowns on the board and no black matches to get you back up. Maybe you can fire blue and get your green countdown on the board, but is that enough before sniper rifles or symbiote antics hit Vulture's squishy little bod?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    5* Dr. Strange - wastes all goons and has some healing 

4* Vulture or X-23 - Vulture gets going airborne and has great AoE and tile removal OR X-23 just heals so much and her green can deal a lot of damage for its AP, not sure if goons would be able to take her down fast enough with her true healing

Dark Horse 4* - Invisible Woman - her invisibility would make all non-AoE goons and character irrelevant

3* Dr. Strange - same reasons as 5* version

Comments on other characters mentioned above:

5* Thanos - maybe if you can kill a goon quick enough, but if you can't get to his purple power fast enough, he could take a lot of damage and has no protection/healing to him which may make him hard to use over an entire event under this scenario

5* OML - not sure his healing would be up to par without any team members, his red power would be useless as well

I think the OP is looking for characters that would be most sustainable to use as a single character over a whole event. In this case you want someone who has traits such as dealing damage quickly and automatically, can protect themselves (invisibility/airborne) and/or has healing.  At least those are the traits I would look for in this hypothetical event.

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    If the goal is competitive PVE (like the OP indicates) then there is only one answer: 5* Thanos.

5* Dr. Strange - wastes all goons and has some healing

5* Strange doesn't heal.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    JJ is my best character but Vulture is my best 4 precisely because he self fuels and excels at destroying teams all by himself.  +4 black, obviously.