Favorite Quality of Life Change

Comments

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champions
    I think the poster who said that the game would be over without champions has it right. So this is me saying, "me too" about that. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    24hr Refresh on PvE Nodes
    I think the poster who said that the game would be over without champions has it right. So this is me saying, "me too" about that. 
    While this is probably true, I still think it was dumb that they nerfed 3* characters' stat coefficients to keep them from being "too powerful." For those who don't remember, a boosted 3* at a base level of 166 used to be nearly as strong as one that is boosted and maxchamped now.

I can see the reasons, but if they hadn't done that, maybe being forced to use a 3* in every PVP wouldn't be so bloody boring at the 5* level.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Im not sure when this happened, but when I first started playing the only 4* out were wolverine and invisible woman. At the time I had only started playing the prologue and then left the game for a long time due to a new job that was really stressful. I came back to the game when I saw a advertisement during Critical Role (grog ftw) and I can tell you I would have dropped the game immediately if 8 hour timers were still a thing in pve. 

Everything else has made the game more enjoyable, but 24h resets make the game playable.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champions
    Jarvind said:
    While this is probably true, I still think it was dumb that they nerfed 3* characters' stat coefficients to keep them from being "too powerful." For those who don't remember, a boosted 3* at a base level of 166 used to be nearly as strong as one that is boosted and maxchamped now.

I can see the reasons, but if they hadn't done that, maybe being forced to use a 3* in every PVP wouldn't be so bloody boring at the 5* level.

That was such a controversy at the time. Real anger on the board for a while as the devs did their usual "Hide and hope it goes away" until the shoved one of the community managers out to say "Working as intended" and then silence again.

And yes, in the long run it makes sense, but at the time the nerf was painful. Suddenly our army of 3*s were all weaker. Moving to 4* land was a more sensible thing to do at that point.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champions
    Im not sure when this happened, but when I first started playing the only 4* out were wolverine and invisible woman. At the time I had only started playing the prologue and then left the game for a long time due to a new job that was really stressful. I came back to the game when I saw a advertisement during Critical Role (grog ftw) and I can tell you I would have dropped the game immediately if 8 hour timers were still a thing in pve. 

Everything else has made the game more enjoyable, but 24h resets make the game playable.

So you skipped the 2.5 hour era.
    And the era of some PvEs having two sub events running simultaniously.
    And often one of those sub events being a "Hard Mode".
    And "The Hunt" being worse than it currently is because ALL the nodes in the second sub event were multiple hitters. And it would rotate through the three sub events twice so that every 12 hours a new one would open.
    And Prodigal Sun was one of the worst events because the hard nodes usually had high level snipers and black panther and IM40 and so on.

Hoooo boy the game used to be brutal to play back in the day. I dunno how I pushed through it. If they ever returned to those days I'd just be out.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Did anyone mention rubber-banding yet? It should be on the list.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other - Please mention what I forgot!
    I think Champions is probably the most important one, but my favorite is one that isn't often mentioned - when they added 1 and 2 star cover rewards to PvP fights. For a long time it was an endless stream of 70/140 ISO with no variation (although I think we had 100 and 250 in there at some point), and getting the chance to earn a random cover was a nice surprise.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other - Please mention what I forgot!
    Selecting your SCL for PVE. Have less time to play but still want some rewards?  Drop down. Need a break?  Drop down.  Have a lousy boost week ?  Drop down.

Want to level your characters without facing super scaled Muscles?  This solved that too.

I have to imagine this feature kept some players around. Having control over which level opponents you face is a big deal.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didnt live through some of what vets experienced. Turning off the animation is a QOL because of Daken. His animation took some time and when you have two Dakens...
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Cover Saving
    I think the champion system is great as you feel like each extra cover makes a real difference, and you get rewarded for getting stronger. The new Saved Covers feature, however, basically removes the iso crunch. You don't feel pressured now to get x amount of iso in x number of days to avoid wasting a cover. You can play at your own pace in this regard. This really will make a big difference in the long run.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Win-based PvP
    PuceMoose said:
    I think Champions is probably the most important one, but my favorite is one that isn't often mentioned - when they added 1 and 2 star cover rewards to PvP fights. For a long time it was an endless stream of 70/140 ISO with no variation (although I think we had 100 and 250 in there at some point), and getting the chance to earn a random cover was a nice surprise.
    This reminded me of when they de-randomized the Story mode node rewards.  It used to be up to chance which reward you would get from the node, and if the RNG didn't favor you, you could keep getting 20 ISO instead of the reward you wanted.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    24 hour PVE refreshes.

I still to this day have no idea how anyone could ever think that 2,5 or even 8 hour refreshes were a good idea.
    Or parallel subs.
    Or roster based scaling.
    Or all events ending at 6am for CET.

So many bizarre design decisions.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those who did not live through the 2.5 hrs or the 8hr refreshes, you are lucky.  This was terrible. While champing is great, this has to be the best thing they did to the game to truly make it better.  
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Win-based PvP
    1) 24 hours
    2)  Championing is kind of taken for granted by now I think.  Still great though.
    3) Win-based PvP
    4)  Turning off animations

5)  Saving covers didn't help me much but it'll be great for limited budget players

I was going to vote for one of the more recent ones, but dat 24-hour refresh tho.
    Relatively newer players (within the last 1.5 years or so) thankfully didn't have to live through this.

Imagine having to find a way to play for about 40 minutes (generally a single clear of nodes) every 2.5 hours.
    For those that think this game in its current state takes too much of a time commitment...
    Yeah I think really a lot of players won't understand what the 24 hour thing is about, or how useful championing is, because if they're newer, they've only seen the "now", not the "before"

Personally I voted for #3, Win-Based PvP.  It's not that 24 hours and Championing were less important.  It's just I wanted to show appreciation for them continuing to make Quality of Life changes is all.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champions
    I like how the topic was "what's your personal favorite" and people are still making an effort to indicate that their answer is the best answer (meaning everyone else's personal preference is wrong).

Never change, MPQ forums.
  • AardvarkPepper
    Win-based PvP
    JHawkInc said:
    I like how the topic was "what's your personal favorite" and people are still making an effort to indicate that their answer is the best answer (meaning everyone else's personal preference is wrong).

The quoted poster is of the opinion that people shouldn't have their own opinions, they should have someone else's opinion.

Everyone's personal opinion is wrong.  Opinions can only be valid if someone else has that opinion.

People can never express their personal opinions without arguing both sides of the argument and the other sides of the other arguments and putting disclaimers on everything.

==

However the opinion that others shouldn't have their own opinions is itself an opinion.  Therefore invalid by its own reasoning.

And nobody can be expected to take their personal time to promulgate beliefs they don't personally hold.  You can say it's laudable sure.  But you can't realistically expect it.  You would think scientific papers would have a higher standard, but they often don't, and if institutions that are supposed to be impartial aren't, well what can you say of practices in the population at large?

You can say the same for expressing opinions - on a discussion board no less.  If nobody can comment or develop on topics, then nobody should comment at all and there should be no deviation from the original topic, certainly not commentary on how others shouldn't be commenting.

If you want to make commentary about how the trend of a discussion is veering from the original topic, that's not objectionable of itself.  But making insinuations and being negative while using bad logic just leads to negativity and encourages bad practices, don't you think?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champions
    JHawkInc said:

The quoted poster is of the opinion that people shouldn't have their own opinions, they should have someone else's opinion.
    I applaud the effort on the personal attack, but you're way off base. You literally summarized the comments I'm laughing about. And then joined them.

The whole point is that a "favorite" is a personal thing, and people should be sharing their own personal opinions. You know, the opposite of what you claim I'm saying. The people claiming that their opinion is "the best" are the ones suggesting people should follow someone else's "correct" opinion instead of their own, and that's what I'm joking about. Not encouraging.
  • AardvarkPepper
    Win-based PvP
    JHawkInc said:

The whole point is that a "favorite" is a personal thing, and people should be sharing their own personal opinions. You know, the opposite of what you claim I'm saying. The people claiming that their opinion is "the best" are the ones suggesting people should follow someone else's "correct" opinion instead of their own, and that's what I'm joking about. Not encouraging.
    Oh, it was a joke?  The impression I got was you wanted to spit in someone's eye but couldn't decide who, so were just kind of generally spraying the audience.
    JHawkInc said:

If that's your idea of positivity and helping, so be it.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks to everyone sharing their favorites!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champions
    In retrospect, I really wish they had introduced the cover bank at the same time five star feeders started. A lot of people sold off 6th covers never expecting a bank to ever happen. Oh well.