is 5* wasp THAT bad? i mean, really?

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
folks be acting like she's just, the worst. is she? that's pretty hard to do with banner and doc ok down there in poopy town.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Well, she is a 5*, so she has high health and match damage.  She will beat a lot of unboosted 4*s and 3*s.

But relative to her 5* peers she seems very very weak.  A lot work to get a very underwhelming amount of damage. Doc and banner are very good comps.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    I got her at 1/1/1 and since she is boosted, figured try her in PVE a bit.  I mean, I don’t even know what the hell she does honestly.  Her “call the swarm” doesn’t seem like much.  10% match damage isn’t much.  And the swarm growth doesn’t generate AP.  

Wish her 5* was more like her 4*.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Can't really comment as I only have one cover for her so far, but the consensus seems to be that she's at the bottom end of the 5* scale.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker

Wish her 5* was more like her 4*.
    Good point. There've been lots of complaints over the years about 'lazy' copies of characters from other levels, but she'd be so much better if they'd just taken 4* Wasp and given her 5* health and match damage with copied powers.

And yeah, she's awful. You could at least see how they were trying to do something unusual and different with Banner and Ock, but the swarm tiles thing isn't really that different, and it's specced way too poorly to be worth a damn. There've been a few characters lately where you just wonder what they were thinking. Maybe you can't totally tell whether the mechanic is as clever as you think it is until the player-base gets hold of it, but when the numbers are too low to start with you're dead in the water either way.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the main weakness is her swarm damage that hit like 4*. Probably, she can receive 50% true heal and 50% burst heal.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    Wasp is a case where the caution of the developers went too far. If they had cut 2-3 ap off the casting costs she would be good. In the Sim PvE I got the yellow>black>blue call the swarm off in the 5e. It is a nice board shaking effect leading to cascades which do add damage and ap. I always got one of my other actives ready to go after triggering the Swarm which usually finished the match. I kept thinking if they were only a little cheaper she would be pretty good.
    It is a good example of the line the developers have to walk. One way can produce an OP 900 lb. Gorilla and the other way produces a puny 90 lb. Weakling.

For now she is worst of the 5* tier almost exclusively because her abilities cost too much.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor

In a simple answer. She is bad and the worst five star that has been made. 

Her sting doesn't sting. No stun.

Her shrink doesn't shrink herself.

Her heal doesn't heal. (Not true healing)

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018

In a simple answer. She is bad and the worst five star that has been made. 

Her sting doesn't sting. No stun.

Her shrink doesn't shrink herself.

Her heal doesn't heal. (Not true healing)

And her swarm is more like an annoying mosquito instead of a death cloud of apocalyptic locusts as its name implies.
  • Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    She’s just a passenger and does not contribute to victory in the slightest. At least Doc Ock has a convoluted way to win the game. At least Banner can transform into another creature hat gives free match damage. Wasp does not have any redeeming features. 
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Banner > hope
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Didn't 4* Wasp get a buff post-release? Maybe they're going to do a legacy buff. XD

Honestly, they could probably just switch the 4* and 5* Wasps and you'd have something.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    4* Wasp (and 3* Falcon) got buffed in a short time of each other which provided them with perfect synergy. That was one of the best Dev buffs I've seen.

Maybe history will repeat.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    I never thought I would see the day when multiple people were defending Banner/Hulk....but here we are.
    That is the only reason needed to know how bad Hope is.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    You really have to wonder what their line of thinking was...  Even with their other duds,  you could see what they were attempting to accomplish.  This seems like some student intern project, and the kid had to go back to school before the design phase was finished.

The same thing happened to Civil War captain america.  IM40 Amazing.  CW cap amazingly bad.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I thought she might be underrated because a defense oriented support character is just not built for speed. And slow=bad on the forums. But then I remembered that OBW is maybe the best 2*, and has basically the same kit. Steal ap, burst heal, extra match damage. So in conclusion, she is not good enough at her support job to warrant how little damage she does.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Carnifexx said:
    Actually Hope is awesome! She makes me feel better about Ock and Banner, I didn’t think anything could do that!
    Be careful, to not trip over the bar.