How things will change after the gambit nerf goes live (discussion)

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Less people will play. Gambit sped things up this Nerf slows everything down again.

Gambit sped things up?
    That staring contest between the Gambits until one used red was Chinese water torture.
    Thor speeds things up.
    Eh the stand off until one or the other fired could take a few turns but once it happened and purples where on the board it ended pretty quickly.

Thor only makes thing faster if you start him below half health.

Gambit def was one of the faster characters for me, and offered the most control. Playing now without him (prepping) matches feel like they take twice as long.
    Wait, are you saying there are people who run Thor above half health?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Just a random thought, but Thanos gets a small buff in this change because typically when I see him I shrug because Gambit purple was gonna handle any of his attempts at green, but no longer.

While it's still a minor threat to 1/2Thor, it's more of a threat overall.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 said:
    Just a random thought, but Thanos gets a small buff in this change because typically when I see him I shrug because Gambit purple was gonna handle any of his attempts at green, but no longer.

While it's still a minor threat to 1/2Thor, it's more of a threat overall.

Thanos Purple was already one of the best counters to Gambit - when that was out Gambit couldn't fire either Power.

Of course, getting it out to begin with was tricky, and even when you did it would expire eventually and then Gambit would fire away with the AP he generated while waiting...

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    I really don't care about PvP since I don't play it much but I will really miss 5* Gambit in PvE.  He was so useful to overwrite enemy countdown tiles and keep AP down.  It is a big blow to those of us that are PvE only and made life way easier and matches faster and easier.  We will see how his rework goes for those of us who only play PvE.

I am anticipating using him with Switch and perhaps Captain Marvel a lot.  Really utilize the damage on his purple as his main power.  The big issue is that with his passive limitation, you are really screwed on red AP use.  I think they could have at least left his red damage better so that you had a real choice between his red and purple.  Now it appears to me that his purple is clearly the better choice in almost all situations.  I would actually have preferred that they got rid of the red/black power limitation altogether with his rework as it really limits his team combinations even more under his nerf build. 

Edit:  After looking at him further a 4/4/5 build might actually be best with the nerf since you only gain 1000 approximate damage on each countdown tile by putting it 5 instead of 4.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    So yeah...... gambit is still really good. Just not over whelming 
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Man he’s slooooow. I ran several matches with him and never even got the purple out. Much better options out there. 

I don’t think he’s trash tier though so if he’s all you have you can still win matches. You just have to actually think while you’re playing now
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    658_2 said:
    Okoye now boosts Gambit’s red.  Those two are now a rather lethal combo.  Only moderate speed.  Gambit is still strong, but you do need to match ap to fire his powers, so he’s way slowed down.  Also, having to address countdowns changes the match significantly.  Still easy to play, but no more autopilot.  Devs did a very good job on this nerf, imo.
    Yup I was shocked when I launched red and it did almost as much damage as it did when I had it at 5. (Running him 5/3/5)

Basically gambit hits twice as hard now but is slower, and has WAYYYY less control. (Not use to the npc getting to fire off so many powers lol) 

So he's still really strong just slower and not a good at stopping incoming damage.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    MgoBlue51 said:
    Meh. I respect your opinion but I disagree. He’s fine, not trash at all... but he is pretty pointless now. Needs to stop blocking ally powers and I’d be very happy. He’s very slow now. 

If you need to bring okoye to the party to make him good, then he’s no good. She makes everyone great, so you have to judge him based solely on how he would run alone or without okoye. In my opinion, without okoye to boost damage, his powers are unreliable and slow so it’s not really awesome. 
    I partially agree with you. It's his red power that needs Okoye. And with so many characters in the game, it's difficult to deny that synergy is important. So, his red power is essentially useless and a handicap, with the caveat.

On his own, I think he's basically a purple nuke, now. And his purple comes with a small amount of defensive utility. That's the new Gambit.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Borstock said:
    MgoBlue51 said:
    Meh. I respect your opinion but I disagree. He’s fine, not trash at all... but he is pretty pointless now. Needs to stop blocking ally powers and I’d be very happy. He’s very slow now. 

If you need to bring okoye to the party to make him good, then he’s no good. She makes everyone great, so you have to judge him based solely on how he would run alone or without okoye. In my opinion, without okoye to boost damage, his powers are unreliable and slow so it’s not really awesome. 
    I partially agree with you. It's his red power that needs Okoye. And with so many characters in the game, it's difficult to deny that synergy is important. So, his red power is essentially useless and a handicap, with the caveat.

On his own, I think he's basically a purple nuke, now. And his purple comes with a small amount of defensive utility. That's the new Gambit.
    I’m with ya. Just don’t like how slow he is to build his powers up, and yet still blocks allies. If he didn’t block those two colors, then he’d be an unreliable but useful battery, and yes a large purple nuke. I tried him and he can still be used but it’s far from pretty. Unfortunately using JJ and PPSM is not an awesome pair either, so I’m stuck. No matter what, I need some more champed 5s to help round this out. If only they were easier to acquire (without selling my gambit... since RNG will not be kind)
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    MgoBlue51 said:
    Borstock said:
    MgoBlue51 said:

I’m with ya. Just don’t like how slow he is to build his powers up, and yet still blocks allies. If he didn’t block those two colors, then he’d be an unreliable but useful battery, and yes a large purple nuke. I tried him and he can still be used but it’s far from pretty. Unfortunately using JJ and PPSM is not an awesome pair either, so I’m stuck. No matter what, I need some more champed 5s to help round this out. If only they were easier to acquire (without selling my gambit... since RNG will not be kind)
    In PvP, I think he's probably useless. Way too slow, and the power lock is the deal breaker.

However, I still needed him to defeat the PvE 515 Simulator node of C4rol, Strang3, and Okoye.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Borstock said:
    MgoBlue51 said:
    Borstock said:
    MgoBlue51 said:

In PvP, I think he's probably useless. Way too slow, and the power lock is the deal breaker.

However, I still needed him to defeat the PvE 515 Simulator node of C4rol, Strang3, and Okoye.
    Agreed. It’s just unfortunate to have a character go from unquestioned tops to “probably useless in pvp”. That’s not a good thing
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Absolutely terrible.  A joke all around.  And no wonder they didn't announce the alleged (and barely noticeable) increase in health.

They must really hate X-men.  Emma Frost is even worse than Gambit, and that's a difficult feat.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    Borstock said:
    MgoBlue51 said:
    Borstock said:
    MgoBlue51 said:

After playing with him for a few hours I have to agree. I can't see using him in PVP much. He's no longer fast enough on his own for shield hops, and that issue is exacerbated by the fact that he still blocks some excellent powers from being used. He's not unusable, but I have other good options like Thor, Thanos, and JJ so I just don't see him getting a lot of play.

He probably still has some uses for PVE, although I didn't even find him all that great in the node you're talking about. Since he doesn't destroy AP anymore, it was harder to wait out Strange by killing him with match or passive damage without Carol firing off her 50K-damage CD (which he can no longer wipe out with his purple).
    I actually found Archangel (!) more effective against Carol since his black power can lock her out from gaining black AP for 5 turns at a time.

He needed a fix for the long term health of the game, but right now it does feel like a bitter pill to swallow.
  • elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    edited July 2018
    I wanted him nerfed too but this is too much he will never be used apart when he is essentiall.. as allways the dev team don't know how to do a nerf 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing with him for a bit, it's worse than feared from stats alone. I could never bring myself to sell him for such a meager compensation, but I'm reduced to a mid 460-roster now, as my top three are nerfed as it stands. Gambit, OML by hands of the devs directly, PHX by inaction and time.

There is a clear message that spending time (or money as it may be) is wrong. Any blade of grass sticking above the field just gets chopped down.

My VIP ran out during my holiday. And as it stands.. it may stay that way.
  • Rogue4Lyfe
    Rogue4Lyfe Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Jessica Jones and Thor (Ragnarok) are literally hell damage demons right now.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    Used him a little in pve, that 2 turn countdown was pretty much matched away within one turn Everytime. 

Leaving the red/purple restriction was the worst aspect of this nerf supposed buff-nerf.