How things will change after the gambit nerf goes live (discussion)

thedarkphoenix
thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
edited July 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
We all know gambit changed things for a lot "end game" players or people getting into 5's. So much so that all alot of people know of 5 land is gambit.

But what about once he's nerfed. I'm already seeing a ton of JJ/thor JJ/okoye JJ/anyone.... But outside of new top tiers how do you see gameplay changing.

I played this season with much less gambit just to see how things would be, and I noticed that in doing so everything took WAY longer in pvp. Which sucks, the #1 thing I enjoyed about gambit was his speed.

I noticed that once certain character got moves out you kind of just had to deal with it, Thor's yellow for instance. If you asked me if this power was too strong a month ago I would have told you no.

However now, yikes... without gambit to get rid of it, its literally a nightmare. What about hawkeye's blue, Ghost rider is going to be super annoying now. Over all I think the game in 5 land is going to be much more annoying and frustrating but... with more variety.

Gambit kind of spoiled me when it came to how long matches actually took without him and how super annoying alot of characters are.

I'm not sure if gambit was really that much of a bad thing now (  :D )  I'm joking....but 

What are something that you feel will change, be better or be worse?

Comments

• elko90
    elko90 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    We all know gambit changed the gambit for a lot "end game" players or people getting into 5's. So much so that all alot of people know of 5 land is gambit.

But what about once he's nerfed. I'm already seeing a ton of JJ/thor JJ/okoye JJ/anyone.... But outside of new top tiers how do you see gameplay changing.

I played this season with much less gambit just to see how things would be, and I noticed that in doing so everything took WAY longer in pvp. Which sucks, the #1 thing I enjoyed about gambit was his speed.

I noticed that once certain character got moves out you kind of just had to deal with it, Thor's yellow for instance. If you asked me if this power was too strong a month ago I would have to you no.

However now, yikes... without gambit to get rid of it, its literally a nightmare. What about hawkeye's blue, Ghost rider is going to be super annoying now. Over all I think the game in 5 land is going to be much more annoying and frustrating but... with more variety.

Gambit kind of spoiled me when it came to how long matches actually took without him and how super annoying alot of characters are.

I'm not sure if gambit was really that much of a bad thing now (  :D )  I'm joking....but 

What are something that you feel will change, be better or be worse?

HalfThor and okoye are much faster in my opinion. I won't miss gambit at all.
  • thedarkphoenix
    LeRoy1979 said:
    I've been saying for a while that I think many of us, myself included, have gotten overly acclimated to the level of total match control offered by Gambit. In a current match there is usually a place, right around the first time you fire off Aces & Eights for full-damage where you essentially take control of the match and don't ever lose it. You've got your foot on their throat and you just keep pressing.

For a variety of reasons (the mostly "hidden" benefit of ap drain, and the removal and total irrelevance of all countdowns) that's about to change. Like the original poster, I played a lot without Gambit this season in prep for the nerf. I was shocked, shocked I tell you, that I actually lost some matches. More aptly put, I was shocked that I'd lost a match I felt was well in-hand. Thor, DD, and JJ in particular were able to upset my expectations frequently with a well-placed special tile or an out-of-control cascade. How dare they?

A long time ago an old alliance mate smashed up his phone and quit (for a few weeks) after a rage-fueled DDQ failure (I think it was the first go around of Mr. F vs Doom). Granted, that was a DDQ thing and not directly about Gambit, but, in many ways, Gambit took away the phone-throwing of MQP. I think it's coming back-which might actually be fun. Thor/JJ can be a wildly uncontrollable team. Welcome back Hawkeye, oh, and Gobby, good to see you as well.
    I really agree with this, the amount of control from the randomness of puzzle quest that gambit offered is also highly slept on.

I also share your experience with actually losing matches or matches going from good to straight up bad or losses.

And even with that control that gambit offered was JJ/thor is still volatile enough where if the got two or 3 good matches I was in trouble.

The new season is going to be interesting to say the least.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    LeRoy1979 said:
    I was shocked, shocked I tell you, that I actually lost some matches. More aptly put, I was shocked that I'd lost a match I felt was well in-hand. Thor, DD, and JJ in particular were able to upset my expectations frequently with a well-placed special tile or an out-of-control cascade.
    Jessica Jones is a total wild card in the hands of the AI, in my opinion. Things can spiral out of control against her in a hurry. Damning Evidence is the perfect AI power because you're only one cascade away from getting decimated. It's fun using her and challenging against her.
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Gambit losing AP control and the ability to overwrite countdowns are the 2 things I'm looking forward to the most with his upcoming nerf.  Those two things were the worst when fighting against him.  However, losing the countdown control in PVE will be rough, which is the main reason I am going to sell mine.

• alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Gambit's current form (AP steal PLUS AP gen) means you almost have to run Gambit v Gambit... but I've seen a lot of people with high Gambits start experimenting with other teams in Sim.

Biggest concern I have is the PvE 5e where that CD overwrite is a life-saver in some of them (GotG mindless ones especially)
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    After the nerf, Teen Jean and OBW TU's will be in higher demand again. 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

I think we'll see a lot more Okoye/Thor in PVP, but Okoye is definitely a much newer (and didn't fall on the heels of other bad characters,) so she'll be a lot less common.  I don't have one, for example.  Also, she's not particularly hard to beat without your own Okoye, she just increases the speed on offense.

We may even see Ghost Rider and LumberCap in PVP.  Gambit pretty much completely eclipsed their powers, now that he's not going to be dominant they may have an opportunity to shine.  I don't think they'll be as prevalent as JJ/Thor or Okoye/Thor, but they may be out there.

I don't think Gambit is going to be good enough for PVP anymore.  Anyone who has one of the above options will probably use them instead.  We'll see, of course, but his numbers don't look promising, particularly on his red.

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    alaeth said:
    Gambit's current form (AP steal PLUS AP gen) means you almost have to run Gambit v Gambit... but I've seen a lot of people with high Gambits start experimenting with other teams in Sim.

Biggest concern I have is the PvE 5e where that CD overwrite is a life-saver in some of them (GotG mindless ones especially)

Quite true about the Mindless Ones (and others). but it sounds like many of us are forgetting Gambit's purple will basically have double damage from where we run him now. He won't overwrite the CD's any longer, but he will still take care of their other special tiles, and then do 30K damage worth of his own CD's. That's huge.

Otherwise, looking forward to the nerf in general. The AP destruction was very tough to deal with sometimes (but it could be a life savor when he's on your side). Managing the repeater will be a challenge but he will still be above mid-tier I believe. His red may have been reduced too much, but creating 3 charged tiles instead of 2 sounds very interesting. 
    I'm mostly looking forward to bringing other characters into more regular play.
  • MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Not gonna lie, it’s going to hurt me for sure. My champs besides gambit are PPSM and JJ. Okoye is at 2/5/5, and daredevil/ beard cap are fully covered but not leveled. 

I was able to get by because gambit was tops. Now it’s probably going to get incredibly more difficult. Life goes on I suppose but this will be rough. 
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    My 5*'s are gambit, oml, bolt, dd and goblin. Thor is 5/4/1 , my pvp experience is def. gonna change.
  • thedarkphoenix
    GrimSkald said:

I think we'll see a lot more Okoye/Thor in PVP, but Okoye is definitely a much newer (and didn't fall on the heels of other bad characters,) so she'll be a lot less common.  I don't have one, for example.  Also, she's not particularly hard to beat without your own Okoye, she just increases the speed on offense.

We may even see Ghost Rider and LumberCap in PVP.  Gambit pretty much completely eclipsed their powers, now that he's not going to be dominant they may have an opportunity to shine.  I don't think they'll be as prevalent as JJ/Thor or Okoye/Thor, but they may be out there.

I don't think Gambit is going to be good enough for PVP anymore.  Anyone who has one of the above options will probably use them instead.  We'll see, of course, but his numbers don't look promising, particularly on his red.

Agreed

I think for pvp we'll see 8 or 9 teams on top for awhile. Until its narrowed down to the most effective

#1 JJ/Thor
    #2 Thor/Okoye
    #3 Okoye/Gambit
    #4 JJ/Okoye
    #5 Spider-man/Okoye
    #6 Cap/Thor
    #7 Daredevil/Thor
    #8 Hawkeye/Gambit
    #9 Ghost rider/strange
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* tier will be who can keep 1/2 health  Thor alive the best.  I think Thor/Okoye team will be the main meta with Okoye true healing especially if she tanks for Thor.

what will be really fun is 4* PvP and what synergy can go with 4*.  4* can synergies with a lot of different 5*.  R&G you could see Starlord come out and play.  Gamora PVP DD will be the star.  Vulture PVP you will see a lot of PP and a lot of AA.  3* PVP will not be as diverse but 4* will be interesting.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    That's the dream @wymtime. Would love to see a deep roster be valued over top 3 meta characters and have the opportunity to play differently every week.

• Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Agreed

I think for pvp we'll see 8 or 9 teams on top for awhile. Until its narrowed down to the most effective

#1 JJ/Thor
    #2 Thor/Okoye
    #3 Okoye/Gambit
    #4 JJ/Okoye
    #5 Spider-man/Okoye
    #6 Cap/Thor
    #7 Daredevil/Thor
    #8 Hawkeye/Gambit
    #9 Ghost rider/strange
    I don't have a fully covered Okoye yet, but I've heard very good things about her and king Blackigar Boltagon. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vins2 said:
    Agreed

#1 JJ/Thor
    #2 Thor/Okoye
    #3 Okoye/Gambit
    #4 JJ/Okoye
    #5 Spider-man/Okoye
    #6 Cap/Thor
    #7 Daredevil/Thor
    #8 Hawkeye/Gambit
    #9 Ghost rider/strange
    I don't have a fully covered Okoye yet, but I've heard very good things about her and king Blackigar Boltagon. 
    Running Bolt before the Gambit nerf is still suicide.
    Need to see how it is after tomorrow.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play slice one and since gambit became a thing I almost never ever have to hit a gambit team. So I will carry on as normal hitting Thor after Thor after Thor.

I will carry on using Gambit with Okoye myself. When they fix okoyes black with Gambits red (the real reason I'm sure his red got so nuked) then Gambit Okoye will still be very fast for me in pvp.

When supports hit and I can run a good chimi with Gambits purple and Talon fighter wit Okoye then it will be even faster still.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Less people will play. Gambit sped things up this Nerf slows everything down again.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Less people will play. Gambit sped things up this Nerf slows everything down again.

Gambit sped things up?
    That staring contest between the Gambits until one used red was Chinese water torture.
    Thor speeds things up.
  • thedarkphoenix
    Bowgentle said:

Gambit sped things up?
    That staring contest between the Gambits until one used red was Chinese water torture.
    Thor speeds things up.
    Eh the stand off until one or the other fired could take a few turns but once it happened and purples where on the board it ended pretty quickly.

Thor only makes thing faster if you start him below half health.

Gambit def was one of the faster characters for me, and offered the most control. Playing now without him (prepping) matches feel like they take twice as long.