13»

Comments

• cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Brigby said:
    cozmo1682 said:
    Brigby  what do we have to do to make at least the 2 star cover permanent?  The regular one where its clearly a drawing of pamela anderson is terrible.
    That's a good question. We usually only do cover art changes like these for special occasions, so I'm honestly not sure what it would take to get alternate cover art into the game on the regular. (I like the idea though of it being a permanent game feature though!)
    It's happened before. A number of characters had cover art that was replaced when the special themed cover for an event proved more popular. Mostly "Women of Marvel" varients.

Squirrel Girl, X-23 and I believe Thoress are examples. We've also had covers just permanently change for no obvious reason, like 2* Daken and 2* Ares.
    Deadpool's cover changed, too, but I forget whether or not there was a reason for that...
    Daken and Ares changed because of ZOMG BLOOOODDD.  Too much blood for a kid friendly game was the reason given at the time
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Brigby said:
    cozmo1682 said:
    Brigby  what do we have to do to make at least the 2 star cover permanent?  The regular one where its clearly a drawing of pamela anderson is terrible.
    That's a good question. We usually only do cover art changes like these for special occasions, so I'm honestly not sure what it would take to get alternate cover art into the game on the regular. (I like the idea though of it being a permanent game feature though!)
    It's happened before. A number of characters had cover art that was replaced when the special themed cover for an event proved more popular. Mostly "Women of Marvel" varients.

Squirrel Girl, X-23 and I believe Thoress are examples. We've also had covers just permanently change for no obvious reason, like 2* Daken and 2* Ares.
    Deadpool's cover changed, too, but I forget whether or not there was a reason for that...

Deadpool's changed twice. First one had a Super Mario vibe to it, hence his title of "It's me, Deadpool". Second one was a close up of his face by Ed McGuiness, I think. Then he got his current one.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    50 years and she is still not as popular as Marvel wants (thinks?) her to be.
    Wouldn't know who she was to this day if not for this game. But I can say the same for Kamala Khan, Medusa, Scarlet Witch, Peggy Carter, Gamora, or any other Marvel Heroine who hadn't yet made it to film or television. As people have pointed out, all it really takes is a breakout appearance in popular media. I'm admittedly far from a comics buff, and at this point, the history of these characters is wayyyy too deep for me to even know where to start. So film/tv adaptations are writers' golden opportunity to breathe new life into a character. Marvel seems to have a spotty record lately when it comes to diversity issues, so perhaps that's why they're holding back on Kamala Khan, but all the rest of those ladies have made screen appearances now. Medusa got the short end of the stick with the Inhumans series, and Agent Carter lost steam for Peggy, but the Avengers and GoTG movies were huge for SWitch and Gamora. Assuming this movie does her justice, and does a good enough job to capture the same popularity that Wonder Woman did for DC, this will be huge for Carol. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As a child of the 80s my first exposure to Carol was as Binary in the pages of Claremont's X-Men. I thought she was awesome. But Carol has been re-invented so many times that it's hard for fans to get any kind of consistency regarding her character.
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I was enjoying her from the 2012 -> plus the post secret wars restart, but then they made her go authoritarian, imprison people who haven't commited crimes yet in CW2.  I agree her characterisation has really been all over the place.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Marvel seems to have a spotty record lately when it comes to diversity issues, so perhaps that's why they're holding back on Kamala Khan,
    And yet this dropped the other day.

Okay it's just animated, but hey it's progress, right? =D

I was enjoying her from the 2012 -> plus the post secret wars restart, but then they made her go authoritarian, imprison people who haven't commited crimes yet in CW2.  I agree her characterisation has really been all over the place.

Yeah, erm...Civil War II was not good. Once again they completely failed to have a balanced grey area. Especially when, early on, Tony comes along and says "I know exactly how this kid's prediction works" and Carol's side was just "Yeah well...I don't care, I'm using him anyway."

Even the initial use of Ulysses to predict Thanos showing up, which could have been used to say "This is how useful he is. If he hadn't have predicted it, Thanos would have grabbed a cosmic cube and who knws what would have happened then!" ended with She Hulk in a coma and Rhodey dead. Not a ringing endorsement for Carol's side.

Just like the first, it was an interesting premise let down by making the sides "Good and evil" rather than "Good and good...but which do you agree with?"
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Oh god that hair cut in the last one. *sigh*
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    As a child of the 80s my first exposure to Carol was as Binary in the pages of Claremont's X-Men. I thought she was awesome. But Carol has been re-invented so many times that it's hard for fans to get any kind of consistency regarding her character.
    Things weren't much better prior to this. When she was on the Avengers she tended to be a "charge at the enemy first" type and her military background was basically ignored, so she was never really showcased to her strengths. To make matters worst, she didn't have her energy manipulation powers at this point either and so she didn't really stand out from the other super strong can also fly crew on the Avengers team, except that she was a woman. For a bit they played up her "sixth sense" powers but that seemed to change from writer to writer. They also had a potentially interesting thing going with Wonder Man but that went nowhere also. All of this led to Avengers #200 and then Avengers Annual #10 which basically confirmed that Marvel had no plans for her and were happy to kick her to the kerb.

Fair enough that Claremont gave her powers back and then some but even then it involved torture and leaving her dumped out in space.

I didn't read Civil War II but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have liked her in it. The Captain Marvel movie can really be a new start for Carol.
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I got into superheroes from the 90s X-Men cartoon. So my earliest, and for a long while only, knowledge of Carol was that Rogue stole her powers.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Love these new covers. Always good to see new covers for existing in-game characters. Cover changes, even if temporary, should be a regular thing.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DanielleL said:
    I got into superheroes from the 90s X-Men cartoon. So my earliest, and for a long while only, knowledge of Carol was that Rogue stole her powers.
    Yup. Also me.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    How many people had ever heard of Rocket Raccoon or Ant-Man before their respective movies came out?

Once the movie comes out she'll be huge.
    Rocket I will give you, though I first heard of him as an addition in one of the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 updates.

Pym's Ant-Man (and for that matter Wasp & Ultron) had a little more extensive cultural cache outside of comics before the movies. The Scott version of Ant-Man, not so much.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR said:
    Jarvind said:
    How many people had ever heard of Rocket Raccoon or Ant-Man before their respective movies came out?

Once the movie comes out she'll be huge.
    Rocket I will give you, though I first heard of him as an addition in one of the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 updates.

Pym's Ant-Man (and for that matter Wasp & Ultron) had a little more extensive cultural cache outside of comics before the movies. The Scott version of Ant-Man, not so much.
    Groot was even more obscure.

Ant-Man (Hank Pym) was the lead in the terrible 90's Avengers cartoon, so he had a bit of wider exposure but I guess he was pretty forgetable.

We might have got an Ant Man movie in the 80's. The legend is that Stan Lee absolutely loved Ant Man and spent a large chunk of his time trying to get a film made with him as the star during his time out at Marvel's Los Angeles offices. At one point he apparently got to the stage of it being considered but it ultimately got shot down as there was another film in development about shrinking called "Teenie Weenies". That film eventually was released as Honey, I shrunk the Kids.