New Captain Marvel Covers

Options
GrimSkald
GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Looks like for the 50th Anniversary of the character, they're giving us variant covers for all three version of Captain Marvel.  They're pretty nice -- all of them (interestingly enough) feature fighter jets prominently.  Appropriate, since she's an Air Force pilot.  In particular I like the one they used for her 3* version...

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It seems like we can’t see the covers without the overlay when we click on the characters now, used to be the overlay would go away after a few seconds no? 
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    Wonko33 said:
    It seems like we can’t see the covers without the overlay when we click on the characters now, used to be the overlay would go away after a few seconds no? 

Actually, they made that a separate screen when they tinkered with the UI for supports.  Keep going, it's now past the text blurb.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    Wonko33 said:

Actually, they made that a separate screen when they tinkered with the UI for supports.  Keep going, it's now past the text blurb.
    It was always a separate page: they just moved it from being the second page to the last.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options

Shazam!
  • GrimSkald
    Options

A side note - while I love the way MsM is portrayed in the 2* cover, is it just me or does the fighter jet look more like a Decepticon than an actual real-world military airplane?

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Okoye's has changed too. It's the actual comic cover now, so it has text and logos and stuff on it instead of just the artwork. (quick search, it appears she came out before the comic, so the art was used, and just now updated to the comic cover since the comic actually exists now)
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hope they stay, all three of these covers are awesome!
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What really confused me is what these are covers of.... 

3* is an Avengers cover. Ok that one makes sense
    2* is a Dr. Strange Cover
    4* is a Thor Cover.... 

Imagine picking either one of those covers up and opening it up to find Thor or Strange. Comics are weird. 
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    50 years and she is still not as popular as Marvel wants (thinks?) her to be.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That 4* cover is really great, love it. Structurally, it has kind of an inverted rule-of-thirds (I don't know the terminology for this) where the upper-left corner is essentially empty. Combined with the beautiful checkerboard/plaid backdrop of the fields, I find it really full of energy, aesthetically. In particular, it looks good in icon size in my roster on my phone. Nice! (The others are fun, too...).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sim Mayor said:
    Yeah, but neither were the Avengers 11 years ago. Wait until her movie comes out. She's gonna explode.
    Yeah, her movie will likely gross more than anything with Superman in it over at DC. 85 Years and he's still not as popular as DC wants him to be.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sim Mayor said:
    Yeah, but neither were the Avengers 11 years ago. Wait until her movie comes out. She's gonna explode.
    They've kept the Captain Marvel character going pretty much just to stop the name being up for grabs so DC can take it back for Shazam. They had to do *something* with it. Like, no-one cared about Mar-Vell. Not really. I'm sure he had fans, but people were all about the Spidered Man or the Unflinchable Hulk or the American Captain.

I've been a fan of Carol for a while, mosly due to an adolesent attraction to her Ms Marvel costume and design. But I've liked her a lot more since getting her comics. I'm very much looking forward to the movie.

Also, they need to keep the Ms Marvel cover. It's way better.

The 2* and 3* ones are major improvements to my eye. The 4* one, something about how her face is painted seems kind of off. It looks sort of like she's really stoned or something.
    I think it's because her mouth is smiling, but the cheeks aren't shaded/raised like a genuine smile does. It's not reflected in her eyes, so it looks like a fake smile. It triggers that primal "This person is lying to me" response in the back of your mind.

I'd like the 3* one more if the one it replaced wasn't so iconic.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    Wonko33 said:

lol thx, you're the man
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sim Mayor said:
    5 years ago Guardians of the Galaxy were a low tier property that barely anyone outside their fans knew about.
    People were predicting it to be Marvel Studios first big mistake and a potential flop. Now they have 2 hit movies and lots more recognition. Captain Marvel is bigger now than the Guardians were 5 years ago.
  • DanielleL
    DanielleL Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Sim Mayor said:
    Yeah, her movie will likely gross more than anything with Superman in it over at DC. 85 Years and he's still not as popular as DC wants him to be.
    Not her but a Captain Marvel was more popular than Superman at one point. Billy Batson was the most popular superhero around the 40s.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DanielleL said:
    Not her but a Captain Marvel was more popular than Superman at one point. Billy Batson was the most popular superhero around the 40s.
    That's absolutely true. He had the top grossing comic for nearly two decades.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 2* cover is my favorite. 3* cover is cool but it reminds me of Hal Jordan. Not a fan of the 4* cover though.