New Captain Marvel Covers

Options

Comments

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 4* cover - her face reminds me a bit of ComicGirl19. Huh.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    50 years and she is still not as popular as Marvel wants (thinks?) her to be.
    How many people had ever heard of Rocket Raccoon or Ant-Man before their respective movies came out?

Once the movie comes out she'll be huge.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    akboyce said:
    What really confused me is what these are covers of.... 

3* is an Avengers cover. Ok that one makes sense
    2* is a Dr. Strange Cover
    4* is a Thor Cover.... 

Imagine picking either one of those covers up and opening it up to find Thor or Strange. Comics are weird. 
    They're all listed as variant covers (e.g. you can see the regular Thor #3 cover,  here).

The only people who would see these covers are people who have specifically gone out looking for Carol Danvers 50th Anniversary variants, which will likely have much smaller print runs and may have a premium price.
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Anon said:
    The 2* cover is my favorite. 3* cover is cool but it reminds me of Hal Jordan. Not a fan of the 4* cover though.
    QFT. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm glad Carol is getting some love, the comic books treated her badly for so long, she deserves her time in the limelight.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Perhaps it’s worth pointing out that it’s the 50th Anniversary of Carol Danvers, but not Ms. Marvel.  Carol was a supporting character for about a year or so before dying (!) in an explosion, not showing up again for about 8 years until the Ms. Marvel comic debuted in 1977.

Also worth noting that she was treated horribly as a character by substandard writers well into the 80’s (Avengers #200 is a low point for Marvel.)

She was a side character/guest star to the X-Men and a few other teams until finally rejoining the Avengers in 1998, and then Marvel really started using her right in the 2000’s with her own book again, etc. She’s only been growing in popularity since.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Perhaps it’s worth pointing out that it’s the 50th Anniversary of Carol Danvers, but not Ms. Marvel.  Carol was a supporting character for about a year or so before dying (!) in an explosion, not showing up again for about 8 years until the Ms. Marvel comic debuted in 1977.

Also worth noting that she was treated horribly as a character by substandard writers well into the 80’s (Avengers #200 is a low point for Marvel.)

She was a side character/guest star to the X-Men and a few other teams until finally rejoining the Avengers in 1998, and then Marvel really started using her right in the 2000’s with her own book again, etc. She’s only been growing in popularity since.
    Well even writers who were considered above par still liked to pile misery on her i.e. Kurt Busiek making her an alcoholic.

• Century
    Century Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I absolutely love the new covers. Though I think I will miss the old 4* version, personally. Won't miss the other two at all, though.
  • cozmo1682
    cozmo1682 Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Brigby what do we have to do to make at least the 2 star cover permanent?  The regular one where its clearly a drawing of pamela anderson is terrible.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Sim Mayor said:
    Yeah, but neither were the Avengers 11 years ago. Wait until her movie comes out. She's gonna explode.
    Yeah, her movie will likely gross more than anything with Superman in it over at DC. 85 Years and he's still not as popular as DC wants him to be.
    Boom!  Shots fired!  Man down!
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    Dormammu said:
    Sim Mayor said:
    Yeah, but neither were the Avengers 11 years ago. Wait until her movie comes out. She's gonna explode.
    Yeah, her movie will likely gross more than anything with Superman in it over at DC. 85 Years and he's still not as popular as DC wants him to be.
    Based upon the last few movies, DC/Warner Brothers seem to sort of hate Superman quite a lot.
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu said:

He's too powerful to be sympathetic. It's like rooting for the Yankees. You might as well go to Vegas and cheer for the bank to win.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    PiMacleod said:
    Dormammu said:
    Sim Mayor said:
    Based upon the last few movies, DC/Warner Brothers seem to sort of hate Superman quite a lot.
    Zach Snyder has outright said that he does. Why they keep giving him superhero movies is beyond me.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I say let WB keep giving Snyder work. Keeps him away from the real superheroes.

#DCsuksMarvelRulz
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Keep the new 2* cover.
    Put the 3* and 4* back to the previous covers, they were both SWEET!
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    cozmo1682 said:
    Brigby  what do we have to do to make at least the 2 star cover permanent?  The regular one where its clearly a drawing of pamela anderson is terrible.
    That's a good question. We usually only do cover art changes like these for special occasions, so I'm honestly not sure what it would take to get alternate cover art into the game on the regular. (I like the idea though of it being a permanent game feature though!)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    cozmo1682 said:
    Brigby  what do we have to do to make at least the 2 star cover permanent?  The regular one where its clearly a drawing of pamela anderson is terrible.
    That's a good question. We usually only do cover art changes like these for special occasions, so I'm honestly not sure what it would take to get alternate cover art into the game on the regular. (I like the idea though of it being a permanent game feature though!)
    It's happened before. A number of characters had cover art that was replaced when the special themed cover for an event proved more popular. Mostly "Women of Marvel" varients.

Squirrel Girl, X-23 and I believe Thoress are examples. We've also had covers just permanently change for no obvious reason, like 2* Daken and 2* Ares.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like the old C4rol art.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    She hasn't worked in recent years in the comics, because no one who is writing her has done anything interesting with her as a character. They keep giving her new roles in the MU (Captain Marvel, then GotG, the Ultimates, then leader of Alpha Flight), but did nothing to enhance who she is at the core. Chris Claremont and Brain Reed were the closest to making her into someone to care about. But this is where the movie has every advantage. It's a fresh start to do something interesting with the character that makes her standout in that world. And I hope they can do it, because Carol is a character I want to like, but has never really worked.
    Sim Mayor said:
    Dormammu said:

He's too powerful to be sympathetic. It's like rooting for the Yankees. You might as well go to Vegas and cheer for the bank to win.
    That's like saying you should root against Captain America if he was fighting a bank robber. Admittedly, there's a lot of ****, as there is with any long running superhero, but the best Superman stories are ones that shine a light on how he's someone who cares about everyone and wants to inspire people to be better. Read All-Star Superman. It's self contained and highlights all the best aspect about the character.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    cozmo1682 said:
    It's happened before. A number of characters had cover art that was replaced when the special themed cover for an event proved more popular. Mostly "Women of Marvel" varients.

Squirrel Girl, X-23 and I believe Thoress are examples. We've also had covers just permanently change for no obvious reason, like 2* Daken and 2* Ares.
    Deadpool's cover changed, too, but I forget whether or not there was a reason for that...