5* players, do you look at the new 4* that close anymore?

13»

Comments

• Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I recently champed my first 5 star and the 4 stars were immediately less interesting, just because of tile damage. I want fast battles because this is a match 3 and longer battles aren't like tennis rallies where it's "ooh, ahh!" with every new move. Plus again it's a match 3 on my phone, I don't want to spend very long playing an individual match that I'll probably have to repeat 3 more times without any variation. Put short, the play of this game may be soothing in being mechanical but it isn't really "fun". 4 stars could make the game more puzzly, I dunno, but 5 stars make it go faster and that's good.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Useful to look at what a new 4 will do to see if they can support a 5. Black Widow is a viable support with a rare black stun and the cost reduction of Brush Pass. Wiccan does have the defensive damage reduction in yellow, but the best defense is usually to kill the enemy as fast as possible. Valkyrie brings in AP (and better unboosted so the CD activates sooner), but really, the best is Chavez with them crits.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I've always wished they made it more like the original puzzle quest.
    Where no character has a star rating by himself, instead the rating comes from the powers you can acquire for them. 
    And they could have maybe sold other costumes (and possible comic covers) as skins.
    Then you have the option of using your favorite character in his favorite outfit rather than your favorite variation of a character being stuck in a lower tier.
    + the option to mix and match abilities would create a lot more interesting matches and would also make tier transitions a lot more smooth if you're mixing and matching different tier abilities.  
    In that sense every character could always be viable, as long as they have new abilities added in respective tier power level.  Alas...
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is where MPQ is very, very different from most other mobile games.  Almost every game you receive a character at a certain * rank but thought perseverance and lots of effort, you can eventually get each character to the highest * rank and they can hold their own in certain battles.

MPQ works very, very different (obviously).  This limits the usefulness of many of the characters because once you, as a player, have moved to another rank of characters, the rank below is not useful.  Whereas in many mobile games, those lower ranked characters could still become useful.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    What if they raised the max champ levels for 2-4*s? Would that help lower * tier characters stay a bit more relevant as you move up a * tier?
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    unfortunately (cause there are a lot of fun to use and useful 4*) aside from chavez, i barely use them anymore. even boosted. it's 2 5* plus chavez. anything else slows me down. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    I read the descriptions for new 4’s.  If they play AP games or create critical tiles I keep reading, if not, I forget they exist.
    that's exactly the way i see 5*s.
    those passives mostly don't need any levels/iso to be effective.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is where MPQ is very, very different from most other mobile games.  Almost every game you receive a character at a certain * rank but thought perseverance and lots of effort, you can eventually get each character to the highest * rank and they can hold their own in certain battles.

MPQ works very, very different (obviously).  This limits the usefulness of many of the characters because once you, as a player, have moved to another rank of characters, the rank below is not useful.  Whereas in many mobile games, those lower ranked characters could still become useful.

If you want a comparison, every other mobile game does their characters exactly how MPQ does supports.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards

If you want a comparison, every other mobile game does their characters exactly how MPQ does supports.
    Wow, every other mobile game is that bad?
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Sometimes I like to play with them in Sim, too. I didn't know how to play with Shuri, so I read up on her forum thread to see if anyone figured out a good team for her. She's a ton of fun. I'm also looking forward to playing with Iron Spider. 
    In the Sim, try Shuri, Mr. Fantastic and 5* Daredevil, if you have them. You really need DD's purple at 5 for the full effect. 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I wonder if Heroics are being re-worked in any way to include the 5*E node and some limited number of 5*s for them (along with the other tiers as well). I'd be completely down for that...

they solved the problem for early-game players when they took out the mirror match restriction so you could actually play whoever you have against whatever team is there.

I'm definitely on team #BringBackHeroics
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    I like BW4 and Miss america 4.

The sucky thing is in pvp they are just fodder for  3 5's.

However pushing they are pretty useful.

Gamora also.

edit: I'd hope champion a character would allow those characters to keep going until 5 star usefulness. 

Instead it just makes them the best of the tier they are in.

I'd love to focus on 3 star punisher and level him up to 5 star land with champs and iso until he was equivalent of a 5 star champed hero. 

Yes it would be a Iso sink (a good thing for d3)

But it would make it so that characters wouldn't be useless almost after you move to the next tier.