5* players, do you look at the new 4* that close anymore?

Options
The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards

I am a 1478 day player with my highest 5* at 494.  With every 2 weeks, except when 5* are released, we get a new 4*.  I have to admit, I have no idea what most of them do.  I am at the point, I really don't even look at their powers. 

The last one I looked at was close was Valkyrie for her Black Passive.  I used her the last PVE on the 5*E node just messing around to she how she would do and it was a nice change.  Before that it was Nico and American Chavez.   I use AC almost every PVE with 1/2 Thor.  Can make very quick work of the node.

After that, not so much. 

Wiccan-Oh look. You jumped to the front in a PVP match and die.

Spider-man IF/Iron Spider-Hey there is web tiles on the board.

Black Widow-I guess the yellow could do something for me as a Team Up.

Jubilee-Oh she makes charged tiles.  Guess she could work with Gambit.....oh wait, it is a green power.  Sorry would rather use that for 5*Thor AOE

Black Panther-Look shield tiles, strike tiles and fortified tiles.  Not sure what else.

Shuri-That is a cool cover.  Oh she makes fortified tiles and...

Kraven-Um...what do you do?

I am not trying to be negative, but these really mean nothing but a 4* farm.  Some like American Chavez is made to really work with 5* and some just are not.  I know I am not the only one that feels like this but it just seems like such a waste that they come out, get covers and then will show up as an essential for PVE.  Otherwise than that, they will fall into the dark abyss that is a massive roster doing nothing except if I select you to be Thanos fodder in PVE.

Any other 5* players feel this way?  Am I way off base?  Just real no desire to keep chasing 4*, and now with token dilution back in full force,  that truly wont do anything at all expect do champ rewards and will never use them again. 

Comments

• Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not really but every once in a while a R&G or America pops up and that will peek your interest. I do grab whatever covers are convenient upon release but don't worry about it beyond that. It's been that way for like 8 months probably.  
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I not only don't read any 4*'s anymore (I'm playing Jubilee right now and have -no idea- what she does), I barely read the 5*'s since I don't expect to have them as mega-hoards are the only way to get anywhere, and since they so rarely do anything on defense.

Let me go look at the end of my roster. Ones I have -never- read the abilities on:
    Valkyrie
    Black Panther
    Shuri
    Jubilee
    Black Widow
    Spider Man
    Wiccan
    Nico
    Mockingbird
    TME Hulk
    Yondu
    Nightcrawler
    Sandman
    (I only barely know Chavez, thanks this event!)

And I agree it's a dilution problem, why bother learning what they do when they'll never be above 320, when there are what: 60 of them? So even if it was nothing but 4* PVP I would rarely use them.

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm not as high a 5* player as you, but you have a better grasp on what any of the new 4*s do than I do.  They are almost as instantly forgettable as Supports...

I also discovered Valk in the last PVE and went through some of this PVE with 50Thormerica, works out pretty quick even when she's not boosted.  Great in wave nodes as you can usually save enough green to fire Thor green for last couple of waves.

I find in the Yellow loaner node I usually rely on the 3* and 2* powers cos I know what they do. 

• The rockett
    Options
    Punter1 said:

I'm not as high a 5* player as you, but you have a better grasp on what any of the new 4*s do than I do.  They are almost as instantly forgettable as Supports...

I also discovered Valk in the last PVE and went through some of this PVE with 50Thormerica, works out pretty quick even when she's not boosted.  Great in wave nodes as you can usually save enough green to fire Thor green for last couple of waves.

I find in the Yellow loaner node I usually rely on the 3* and 2* powers cos I know what they do. 

I litterly had to sit and read each power for this post cause i had no idea off the top of my head.  
  • The rockett
    Options
    Not really but every once in a while a R&G or America pops up and that will peek your interest. I do grab whatever covers are convenient upon release but don't worry about it beyond that. It's been that way for like 8 months probably.  
    Don’t get me wrong, I will push for top 5 every PVE event and top 2 for new releases cause I want to champ them ASAP but only for champ rewards and get their health high enough that they can stand 7 Thanos Death blasts in pve with them are an E so I don’t have to waste health packs on them.  
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I expect this will be true; I went months without knowing what either 3* Angel or 5* Archangel actually did, since by the time he released I had all the other 3* characters champed plus a handful of 4* champs who were already outperforming powered-up 3* characters.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't even pay attention to what colors they use.  I think AC is the only one I've bothered to spec properly since champing.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    High level 4*'s can be fun when boosted, and the new rotation of PVP that seems to be including 4*'s more regularly are a welcomed sign. The problem is, once again... Gambit. His purple neutralizes just about any toon that does something fun with CD's or special tiles. 

I am not going to list every one of them, but just think about what the best 4*'s do and how Gambit completely neutralizes them. The ones that create fortified tiles actually work against that team as Gambit now has fortified CD tiles that are going to hurt. 

I saw (and used) boosted 4*'s quite a bit in PVP before Gambit came along. Now they're mostly useless.
  • Punter1
    Options

It's really a long compounding problem with this game. 

Speed is still "required" to play at the higher tiers, which means you need to use the limited few characters that actually achieve that. 

I have 173 rostered Characters, I have a knowledge of a good number of them due to using them over time when in 3* and 4* land, but since hitting 5* world the number I use regularly has dwindled. 

There is very limited opportunities where we're encouraged to experiment.  DPD has 2 fights, but I still just want that over and done with so rarely experiment.

Bring back the Gauntlet or God forbid Heroics, refresh DPD, offer rewards for using a variety of Characters, set challenges with the new Characters and so on and so forth.  Shield Training does that a little but the character is so under powered initially it's easier to just win with TU.

• The rockett
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    High level 4*'s can be fun when boosted, and the new rotation of PVP that seems to be including 4*'s more regularly are a welcomed sign. The problem is, once again... Gambit. His purple neutralizes just about any toon that does something fun with CD's or special tiles. 

I am not going to list every one of them, but just think about what the best 4*'s do and how Gambit completely neutralizes them. The ones that create fortified tiles actually work against that team as Gambit now has fortified CD tiles that are going to hurt. 

I saw (and used) boosted 4*'s quite a bit in PVP before Gambit came along. Now they're mostly useless.
    I agree with that. Last event I used CD and Cap Mar for many matches and took down Gambit and Thor.  I just don’t see a Cap Mar/Rogue/CA/Medua/Gamora in the ones listed.  They just seem like....meh and not really worth push hard for or buying 40 packs for them.  
  • The rockett
    Options
    Punter1 said:

Speed is still "required" to play at the higher tiers, which means you need to use the limited few characters that actually achieve that. 

I have 173 rostered Characters, I have a knowledge of a good number of them due to using them over time when in 3* and 4* land, but since hitting 5* world the number I use regularly has dwindled. 

There is very limited opportunities where we're encouraged to experiment.  DPD has 2 fights, but I still just want that over and done with so rarely experiment.

Bring back the Gauntlet or God forbid Heroics, refresh DPD, offer rewards for using a variety of Characters, set challenges with the new Characters and so on and so forth.  Shield Training does that a little but the character is so under powered initially it's easier to just win with TU.

HEROICS FOR THE WIN!!!!!  With limited rosters!!!!!  Yes yes yes yes!!  Now we are talking. You had to know them inside and out to pick the best team and quickest team to win.  That would make many care about them again...well at least for that pve event. Lol 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will look at them and spec them once they feature in a pvp. Until then nope I take little notice other than the art work.
  • Punter1
    Options
    Punter1 said:

HEROICS FOR THE WIN!!!!!  With limited rosters!!!!!  Yes yes yes yes!!  Now we are talking. You had to know them inside and out to pick the best team and quickest team to win.  That would make many care about them again...well at least for that pve event. Lol 

I think there's good mileage to be had in re-introducing the heroic limited roster mechanic.  I remember hating them as it was an endless cycle of Dark Avengers usually with available characters that had limited synergy. 

Sometimes in the DPD Burrito you get surprised by some neat combos they choose.  If they could apply that logic to a tailored group of 4* and 3* that you'd have to use in a Heroic style event, I think those of us in 5* land could have a fun time experimenting.

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bring back Heroics and I'll read what 4stars do.

For now they only matter if they have abilities that break 5stars, like AP generation, AP cost reduction (that's what Shuri does, Rockett), or synergize cheaply well (Val red multihit with Okoye, but only because Thor feeds red since 11 AP is on the expensive side).
    if they have complicated abilities that require multiple castings or set up, they will likely never be looked at again. If they proc special tiles, especially attack tiles, I won't use them ever, since all they do is slow down a match (crits are fine). This isn't Strike tile OML meta anymore.
    And most of all.. If they aren't 350 or up, they are a liability. Strong synergistic 350+ Boosted like CM4 last events? Those I use.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not only do I not look at them closely now, but I didn't when I was in the 4* tier either.  The shield training 1v1 matchups are interesting...ooh, I have enough ap fo fire something...cool, what did that do?...
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sometimes I like to play with them in Sim, too. I didn't know how to play with Shuri, so I read up on her forum thread to see if anyone figured out a good team for her. She's a ton of fun. I'm also looking forward to playing with Iron Spider. 
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don’t know what the new 4*s do until someone on Line chat starts claiming they are the new meta or they are essentials in pve. Otherwise they are just feeders and a source of champed rewards. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have many many max 4s.  As others have echoed, pre-gambit I really enjoyed trying all different combos of boosted 4s.  The 4* tier is the best when boosted and really provides the most fun in the game.  I am high level pve player so I often can get new toons done in short order and always enjoyed the chase.

Then gambit showed up.

And I couldn’t tell you what almost any of the 4s do since gambit came out.  Because they’re hopelessly overmatched even at max levels.

So for me, it was a complete pendelum swing.