5* players, do you look at the new 4* that close anymore?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It does frustrate me when I see a really good 4* come out and know that I'll likely never use them.

I'd have loved to have made use of Shuri's powers more, or Black Widow, or Jubilee even. But I get them, I champ them and then stop stressing about trying to find the ISO for them.

They're something to do while I wait for more Jessica Jones covers.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I still look at them.  They still are useful situationally and Chavez is now a regular member of my PvE clear team.  TBH I know a lot more about most new characters than the 4*s that came out 3 years ago that I only just champed.  They're so underpowered that they aren't worth knowing about, but some of the new ones have been situationally useful.  Particularly Chavez, Nico, & MEH Hulk.  
    Punter1 said:

It's really a long compounding problem with this game. 

Speed is still "required" to play at the higher tiers, which means you need to use the limited few characters that actually achieve that. 

I have 173 rostered Characters, I have a knowledge of a good number of them due to using them over time when in 3* and 4* land, but since hitting 5* world the number I use regularly has dwindled. 

There is very limited opportunities where we're encouraged to experiment.  DPD has 2 fights, but I still just want that over and done with so rarely experiment.

Bring back the Gauntlet or God forbid Heroics, refresh DPD, offer rewards for using a variety of Characters, set challenges with the new Characters and so on and so forth.  Shield Training does that a little but the character is so under powered initially it's easier to just win with TU.

HEROICS FOR THE WIN!!!!!  With limited rosters!!!!!  Yes yes yes yes!!  Now we are talking. You had to know them inside and out to pick the best team and quickest team to win.  That would make many care about them again...well at least for that pve event. Lol 
    Heroics are good for advanced rosters and terrible for lower rosters.  I'm only for this if it's an optional side event that players can choose to opt into vs the non-heroic version.  It's not good for the longevity of the game to have new players locked out of the game for 3,4, or 7 days at time.  Most players quit playing a game in the first 7 days of installing it and this would only make that more likely IMO.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Being a 4* player, i have the reverse situation: due to the general un-obtainability of new 5*s for me, I didn't even bother to pay attention to what Lumbercap and Okoye were doing besides a cursory scan of them.

And then for the 4* version of this same issue, Angel and Gambit were the last 2 3*s that came out, and I couldn't tell you if either of them are good, or what they do really. So I think it's just the nature of the game that you move up, stuff below your tier of play is barely relevant if at all, and you stop paying attention. Seems like a shame to squander that, but at the same time, I don't see myself really spending loads of time in some 3* only mode if I don't have to, I can't imagine too many of y'all would want to slum it in a 4* only mode either.
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    I read the descriptions for new 4’s.  If they play AP games or create critical tiles I keep reading, if not, I forget they exist.

4* pvp should be good to give them all their moment in the sun.

also, MEHulk’s purple in the 5E node can be glorious.  
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    I look to see if they have a good passive (America, Medusa, Grocket, Carol, etc).  Active powers don't seem to translate as well to 5* play (with the exception of a boosted Carol).
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I think Rogue was the last one I actually learned what her powers do. I play Chavez but have no idea how she works...she just does awesome things, a pure autopilot character.
  • Erunner1201
    Erunner1201 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    I rarely look at the 4* powers anymore for new characters.  It got so bad that when Nico's crash came out, I did not know what she did and was killed immediately.  So I think that will really be the only time that I look at what the new 4* character does.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know why anyone cares about new 4-star releases anymore, whether they're 5-star players or not. With 70 other 4-stars to choose from, dilution has negated the impact of new releases at that tier. A cool one has popped up now and again, but even a character capable of changing the 4-star meta will have a tough time over-coming the elimination of 'latest 12' and finding their way into common use.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    It’s for these reasons I wish there were 4* only/3* only separations in  SS and PVP. I WANT to use 4* teams and create new teams. But because I champed 3 5*, it’s basically suicide to even try 4* teams. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I don't know why anyone cares about new 4-star releases anymore, whether they're 5-star players or not. With 70 other 4-stars to choose from, dilution has negated the impact of new releases at that tier. A cool one has popped up now and again, but even a character capable of changing the 4-star meta will have a tough time over-coming the elimination of 'latest 12' and finding their way into common use.
    Doing new character releases with Boss events will help a little, and getting a cover from shield training seems plausible now that the required 4*s aren't the newest ones out (hoping that holds out). Plus the progression cover from the following PVE, that's a decent start. Bonus heroes could help some afterwards, although that's definitely not enough to keep up with a 2 week new release cycle, I agree.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    that's another reason I don't want to transition to 5*- sounds so boring to only care about 2 or 3 character out of hundred
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    This has become an unfortunate side effect of having the 900-pound gorilla in the game that is Gambit.

Ever since he arrived he has almost single handedly invalidated everything which has come behind him.

In the meta just before his arrival, Panthos, 4* which were buffed regularly showed up in PvP because there were some which could disrupt that team effectively.

This is not a response to have that debate but preface to respond to the OP.

I think the reason you don't spend much time thinking about the new 4* is because of this.

Even with that I use them a lot in DDQ and Shield Training and would in any other non-competitive event the devs would provide.

I think there are some really good combos in the 4* tier using many of the new 4*

I am currently enjoying Kraven, Carnage, Nico which makes their specials worth nothing while buffing mine.

I played the Iron Spider, Miles, Spider-Gwen trio and they were web a palooza fun.

I had a lot of fun with Yondu, Main Event Hulk and Valkyrie

Moon Knight, Shuri, Black Panther is another

Nightcrawler, Bl4ck Widow, Jubilee is an odd rainbow team.

I play one of these teams in the big enchilada for one five-day run. it gives me a chance to see how they work it familiarizes me with their powers and it helps keep the game from becoming too much of a boring slog of a few characters.

I'm now thinking about who is best to go with Wiccan for the new round of DDQ.

We all play differently but I still enjoy figuring out effective teams with the new 4*.

when Gambit gets nerfed there may come an opportunity to use them again in PvP.

• therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    My highest 5 is 460. I do pay attention but I don't expect to ever have an option to utilize them. A 4s only daily PvP or similiar would be super fun.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor

Just back to say did the first handful of matches in Scrapper PVP and only used Gambit once!  Valk is decent and so is the boost list this week.

Used a whole mixture of teams Medusa/Gamora, Blade/Thor, DD/Gamora, DD/Medusa, Gambit/Blade was kinda neat having options for once.  Though Shuri stayed on the side-lines cos I don't know what she does!

• Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    This has become an unfortunate side effect of having the 900-pound gorilla in the game that is Gambit.

Ever since he arrived he has almost single handedly invalidated everything which has come behind him.

In the meta just before his arrival, Panthos, 4* which were buffed regularly showed up in PvP because there were some which could disrupt that team effectively.

This is not a response to have that debate but preface to respond to the OP.

I think the reason you don't spend much time thinking about the new 4* is because of this.

Even with that I use them a lot in DDQ and Shield Training and would in any other non-competitive event the devs would provide.

I think there are some really good combos in the 4* tier using many of the new 4*

I am currently enjoying Kraven, Carnage, Nico which makes their specials worth nothing while buffing mine.

I played the Iron Spider, Miles, Spider-Gwen trio and they were web a palooza fun.

I had a lot of fun with Yondu, Main Event Hulk and Valkyrie

Moon Knight, Shuri, Black Panther is another

Nightcrawler, Bl4ck Widow, Jubilee is an odd rainbow team.

I play one of these teams in the big enchilada for one five-day run. it gives me a chance to see how they work it familiarizes me with their powers and it helps keep the game from becoming too much of a boring slog of a few characters.

I'm now thinking about who is best to go with Wiccan for the new round of DDQ.

We all play differently but I still enjoy figuring out effective teams with the new 4*.

when Gambit gets nerfed there may come an opportunity to use them again in PvP.

Completely agree, well said.  Unfortunately with the new mega dilution it doesn’t appear most people will ever get new 4’s high enough to use in pvp.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    To be fair, I don't think this is entirely a Gambit thing. I don't have a usable Gambit, but this is my entire knowledge bank on the following:

* MEH Hulk: moves tiles or something?
    * War Machine: I think there's a countdown or repeater tile?
    * Shuri: has an attack that goes until it runs out? I think. Might be someone else. Valkyrie?
    * Sandman: I think he stuns, somehow? Genuinely doubting that knowledge, though. Wouldn't bet the house on it.
    * Kraven: something about strike tiles? They're good for him? Bad for him? He just likes knives? No idea.
    * Yondu: blue does something that's good.
    * Jublilee, Wiccan, Black Widow, Spider-Man, Valkyrie, Venom (either), Black Panther, Nightcrawler: absolutely no clue what any of them do.

And to be clear, I have all but 4 of them champed. And Jubliee just needs the iso. And I've played with almost all of them (when required).

The problem for me used to be a combination of cover acquisitions and iso. A few of these existed before I had good 5*s. But I didn't read new characters until I had them covered. It was meaningless to me until then. Once fully covered, I used to read what they did. If they seemed better than what I already had, I pushed iso into them. Then if they were still good, I would use them.

Now I have champed 5*s, I don't even read what they do when fully covered. Nothing to do with Gambit, just 5*s generally working as OP to everyone else as intended.

The only 4* I use semi-reliably these days is America.

It'd be good to have a wider range of events with requirements (e.g. all 5*s locked out, all 4*s locked out, etc) so there's more incentive to use the rest of my roster, but until then... eh. My care factor is pretty limited for a tier I won't use. (I am hopeful that the 4* pvps will help with this.)
  • Player1575
    Player1575 Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I can tell you what almost all of the new 4s do, as well as the old ones I don't have champed just yet. I can't necessarily tell you if they're top tier or middle tier or not, but I know what they all do. Now the 5*s I don't have champed... I know what some of them do, but I can't tell you anything about FA Cap, IM, Ock, Black Suit Spidey, or some of the other older ones. I generally know how the better ones I don't have champed (HE, BP) work though still.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    So basically what the OP is saying is, ‘I don’t care about the 4* toons enough to take a couple seconds out of my day to read’?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me I start looking at them when I get 13 covers and champ them and then they become essential again or their crash comes around.  4* are the new 3* tier and ha e been for a while.  3* are the new 2* and 2* are the new 1* and 1* are just ignored.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    So basically what the OP is saying is, ‘I don’t care about the 4* toons enough to take a couple seconds out of my day to read’?
    Sure I can read if they matter but will never use them in any battle if they cannot be 320+ unless they are Thanos Fodder of pve, an essential for Pve or featured in pvp.  There is no other game mode to use them in or try.  To be honest they are pointless.  They are just a farm and that’s it unless I can get them above a 320 mark.  Then maybe, just maybe I would use them in pvp, but why sit my 494/480 team for that?  Boredum.  That’s the only reason.