Update to Jubilee (Classic)'s Champion Rewards (6/19/18)

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The devs was nice enough to provide a feeder to 5* and now they are expected to explain the rationale for their choices. I mean, if you look at the past feeders, there are also players demanding the reasons for the choice of feeders.

I appreciate the devs for making 5* more accessible, but feel bad that this has turned out disastrous every time a new feeder is announced. Instead of appreciating their effort, they are being flamed every single time a feeder is announced. 

It's really a saddening affair.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The devs was nice enough to provide a feeder to 5* and now they are expected to explain the rationale for their choices. I mean, if you look at the past feeders, there are also players demanding the reasons for the choice of feeders.

I appreciate the devs for making 5* more accessible, but feel bad that this has turned out disastrous every time a new feeder is announced. Instead of appreciating their effort, they are being flamed every single time a feeder is announced. 

It's really a saddening affair.

What effort?
    Swap 6 rewards of 100 for different rewards, done.

You make it sound like it's Herculean task, requiring months of coding.

And yes, if new 4s will be feeders, just roll them out as feeders instead of wasting a feeder announcement for something that should have been there when the char was released.

• HoundofShadow
    Options
    I'm talking about making 5* more accessible, not about the coding.

In general, there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions every time the devs announce something. Players start imagining the worst and then demand the devs to explain their position.

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My 10/4/1 Phoenix is unsure what to feel about this.  :s
    Considering my Jubilee is 276, so the next reward will give me an 11/4/1 Phoenix :neutral:
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Twysta you mean a 5/4/1 phoenix with a saved cover! then you'd only need another 80 jubilee covers to make her 5/5/3 with 3 saved covers!
    it sounds like a lot, but she's in latest so her odds are... oh wait.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OJSP said:
    We’re probably thinking about this the other way around..

With BP being announced to become a feeder and now Jubilee, it appeared that the newer 4*s would become feeders for now. What if they decided that among the newest characters, Jubilee would become a feeder? Which 5* would she feed? 
    Old Man Logan
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    * Raises Hand *

Why wouldn't Jean Grey 4-Star feed 5-Star Phoenix? 

I get Jubilee is new and hip, but she is an awful 4 Star.....
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm always amazed by how, no matter the news, people will find a reason as to why it's wrong and bad.

Welcome to the internet! 

I'm more confused than mad this time :)
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I tried to find a thread that I believe was started by @bluewolf to link it here, but no luck from a quick scan. The short version was speculation that as: A ) Feeder announcements happen with the current 4* placement reward for Story events, B ) 4* Essentials are chosen on a mostly predictable pattern, C ) Feeder announcements occurred every four weeks (at the time) with the exception of the extra Black Panther. All of that led to some speculation to try to predict the next feeder ahead of time.

Whichever character fell in that pattern became a feeder for something appropriate, even if a bit of a stretch. That's why some were XFW -> OML or Kate -> Hawkeye, while others were Drax -> StarLord.

Now that all 4*s are equally distributed and not divided into Latest 12 and Olders, those patterns may not hold up anymore, or maybe they will.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Leave it to d3 to give us a feeder with absolutely no connection to the character it feeds, even though there were multiple better options to choose from.

Oh right, if you chose Teen Jean, Cyclops, or Prof X you probably would have had to give out more covers to people who already got the LL token rewards so you chose Jubilee. That's about what I'd expect.
    I think that's exactly the reason, they just don't want to give so many free 5* covers at once, what would have happened if they choose one of the old "logical" X-men. And since 5*s are supposed to be end game and veeery difficult to get/champ, I'm ok with it.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    * Raises Hand *

Why wouldn't Jean Grey 4-Star feed 5-Star Phoenix? 

I get Jubilee is new and hip, but she is an awful 4 Star.....
    Who says she won't?

With the sheer number of 4's, there's no reason to presume that Teen Jean won't feed Phoenix at some point in the future.

We get this reaction every time there's an announced feeder, people getting bent out of shape because it's the "wrong" pairing, when there's no reason an announcement would invalidate what they consider the "correct" pairing.

(nevermind that it's 100% arbitrary and there's no reason the characters need to have a thematic link in the first place; especially given the wide variety of characters which will inevitably give us feeders that have no thematic link, so no harm would be done if none of the others had any link of any sort in the first place)

It just seems like a peculiar thing to be concerned about, matching up small specific pairs when the whole set doesn't contain an even distribution of pairs to begin with.

(but what would I know, I might be the only person here who advocates deliberately shaking up the feeding lists to encourage variety, like having 2* Hawkeye feed Ragnarok feed America feed Black Suit Spidey because they all have completely different types of mechanics)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I would have proposed that Teen Jean being double-fed by 3*s is why she wasn't chosen to feed Phoenix, but since XFW is also double fed and he's feeding OML, that doesn't really hold water. 

And Main Event wouldn't be the most tenuous connection to Silver Surfer in the game per @Punisher5784 's comment, since this was kind of a thing:

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm talking about making 5* more accessible, not about the coding.

In general, there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions every time the devs announce something. Players start imagining the worst and then demand the devs to explain their position.

Isn't the point of feeders to have some sort of connection between the two characters? 

Not exactly sure how you consider this more accessible either. Jubilee is that new that most people wont be getting anywhere near 280 anytime soon. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I don't remember seeing the devs mentioning that
    "the point of feeders to have some sort of connection between the two characters".

I do remember that they said they are updating some of the 4* champion rewards to be replaced with 5* covers. The "logical connection", I believe, is assumed by the players themselves.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    In 6 months time, this will just another "Oh, Ragnarok gives out X23? Huh." or "Sentry gives... Moon Knight...I guess whatever." I think people react negatively because it doesn't help them personally, right now, in any particular way. But eventually all these changes just become the lay of the land, especially for new players or players below the threshold where it matters. 

I'd managed to get Jubilee to 3/4/2 before the odds went flat, i was in no particular rush to champ her. My Phoenix is 0/1/1, so a cover here or there is whatever to me. For me these announcements are largely just for the novelty of saying "huh, really thought that character would feed this other one, but good to know."
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "the point of feeders to have some sort of connection between the two characters".

I do remember that they said they are updating some of the 4* champion rewards to be replaced with 5* covers. The "logical connection", I believe, is assumed by the players themselves.
    I'm pretty sure the connection thing has been stated on Discord.  Also it's been a long history of the game that most (not all, but the vast majority) of feeders at any level has some connect to each other.  This covers 2* > 3*, 3* > 4*, & the 4* > 5* so far.

I think people are being a little over zealous on the outrage on this one myself.  Jubilee and Jean are both X-Men, so it's not that there's no connection.  I honestly suspected Jubilee would feed Gambit (probably as a second feeder after Rogue) and for Jean to feed by Jean, Cyc, and/or Prof X, but at the end of the day they didn't do that.  

I get people being upset about a new 4* feeding, kinda.  But if there's ever a day where every 4* feeds a 5* (there may well not be) then there will eventually be new ones.  Also Jubilee feeding now means you have more time to put levels into the other ~60 4*s that are potential future feeders.  It's 6 in one, half dozen in the other.  
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think it’s pretty clear that the vast majority of feeders have a connection.  Medusa to Bolt was no accident.  Vulture to spidey, gamora to thanos.  Peggy to cap. And then look through all the 3-4 connections.

and with regards to the feeder choices being chosen by the 4 instead of the 5...that could very well be true.  They delayed this announcement by 2 weeks probably so they could skip lockjaw who will feed Bolt at some point in the future(but they didn’t want two feeders for one character yet).  

But where’s the rule that it has to take 4 weeks to announce a new one?  How many 4’s are there at this point?  Are we already scheduled 3-4 years  in the future?  That’s why it matters that jubilee was chosen over JG.  At this rate we may never get to the point where JG gets her turn.
  • chris0001
    chris0001 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options

At this rate I'm guessing it will take another 1.5 years to link all 5* to a feeder.  (at their current rate).  Its just too bad they didn't link in groups of 3 like they did when this feature started.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2018
    Options

Jubliee -> Jean Grey:  Um........yea.  No Cyc, No JG, just a new release that reallly doesn’t make sense with they way this was done so far. 

I don't know man, this seems like exactly the same degree of connection as Drax -> 5* Lord over 4* Lord -> 5* Lord. It's still X-Person -> X-Person, it's not like they had Flaptain give her out.