Core Set speculation

13»

Comments

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    They did it they finally made a legendary Bear!!!  My dreams of a Bear tribal deck are finally possible!

But it doesn't support bear tribal, as most bears are under 4 power.  Such a let down.
    I didn't see that yet.  Need to alert my friend, who already has a Bear commander deck (he's been using Surrak as his commander, because of his bear thing).  About damn time lol
    looky! looky!

httpmythicspoilercomm19cardsgoreclawterrorofqalsismajpg

clearly made by someone who didn't do their homework on mtg bears.  But still awesome to finally have a legendary bear :)

If only they made it a brown bear.... then it could have been the one Surrak punched. The art would have been a perfect fit if it was.

Sadly they can't do that, since in the current timeline Surrak never punched any bears, just as Gideon's home plane was not destroyed in this timeline ;) 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thuran said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    They did it they finally made a legendary Bear!!!  My dreams of a Bear tribal deck are finally possible!

But it doesn't support bear tribal, as most bears are under 4 power.  Such a let down.
    I didn't see that yet.  Need to alert my friend, who already has a Bear commander deck (he's been using Surrak as his commander, because of his bear thing).  About damn time lol
    looky! looky!

clearly made by someone who didn't do their homework on mtg bears.  But still awesome to finally have a legendary bear :)

If only they made it a brown bear.... then it could have been the one Surrak punched. The art would have been a perfect fit if it was.

Sadly they can't do that, since in the current timeline Surrak never punched any bears, just as Gideon's home plane was not destroyed in this timeline ;) 
    There is a timeline where Theros was destroyed?  I don't remember seeing that.

And based on the name this could be that same bear in an alternate timeline where Surrak punched a dragon instead, so it grew up to be a terror instead of a friend.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    found the clone version

httpiimgurcomZ1qa219jpg

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thuran said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

looky! looky!

I refuse to accept the timeline with tyrant dragon overlords. Khans forever! :)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bet they skip Omniscience completely. And when HOU rotates out it's not standard any more. Good riddance!

I am of the mind that any card that already exists in the game will not be reproduced or reintroduced.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Thuran said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

looky! looky!

And based on the name this could be that same bear in an alternate timeline where Surrak punched a dragon instead, so it grew up to be a terror instead of a friend.
    Gideon got retconned to being from Theros, he was originally stated to be from an unknown, destroyed plane. Its caused a lot of issues with his depiction in game since he didn't look AT ALL Mediterranean in a lot of his early art. He still doesn't, really, but there are features that are too iconic to him that would be impossible to change, his long flowing straight hair, for example..... My hair has never been that straight, flat, or manageable :P
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Back to the walker issue:

Do we need 5 new monocolor walkers?  Probably not.

Do we need a now Bolas?  Possibly not, although he's at least pretty useful and both versions would get use
    A different three colors PW would be very welcome. Karn did not meet our needs because of his limitations.
    Erm... sorry, was Karn supposed to be a three colored PW? He is colorless!!! And what needs did it not meet, exactly? He is flaming awesome. Better than we ever thought a colorless PW would be. He can be any flaming color and any flaming color combination like a chameleon. Some people might even say he is too good.

Even at mono colored he is better than almost all other mono colored PWs. The "limitations" aren't really limitations unless you simply just despise mono colored PWs. 

That being said. A new Ugin, please. Because we have tasted awesomeness in the form of Karn and would like some more.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Just saw that Pelakka Wurm will be in M19 as a rare. I super excite!
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Mburn7 said:
    Thuran said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

looky! looky!

Gideon wasn't from Theros in the original timeline, but from another unspecified plane where he can be considered responsible for destroying the entire plane, and not giving a damn about it, his own words ;) 

A short recap of his pre-sarkhan origins
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFZ896k_f0
  • Gunmix25
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Thuran said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

looky! looky!

Gideon got retconned to being from Theros, he was originally stated to be from an unknown, destroyed plane. Its caused a lot of issues with his depiction in game since he didn't look AT ALL Mediterranean in a lot of his early art. He still doesn't, really, but there are features that are too iconic to him that would be impossible to change, his long flowing straight hair, for example..... My hair has never been that straight, flat, or manageable :P
    It's  all that extra virgin olive oil he uses. ;)
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    I hope the monocolor planeswalkers are at least cheap, but then again, how expensive will Jaya be to buy with crystals and to level up?

What interests me more is the Elder Dragon cycle. Since one of them transforms into a planeswalker, will we have all five as creatures (plus one more Bolas planeswalker) or will we lose one from the cycle because there's one planeswalker among them? After all, none of the creature-form of the Origins planeswalkers are in the game.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    arNero said:
    I hope the monocolor planeswalkers are at least cheap, but then again, how expensive will Jaya be to buy with crystals and to level up?

What interests me more is the Elder Dragon cycle. Since one of them transforms into a planeswalker, will we have all five as creatures (plus one more Bolas planeswalker) or will we lose one from the cycle because there's one planeswalker among them? After all, none of the creature-form of the Origins planeswalkers are in the game.
    Jaya should cost the same as any other mono-color walker:  295 crystals and a relatively small number of runes to level.  I see no reason they would change it.

As for the Dragons, I would assume we would get the 4 non-Nichol ones and then a new Nichol planeswalker.  It leaves the cycle incomplete, but plays nicely with how they handled Origins.
  • Gunmix25
    arNero said:

Jaya was dirt cheap to level to 60. Didn't even break 100,000 runes.

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    In the past, it was about 80,000 runes to level a one-color walker and about 160,000 runes to level a 2-color walker.  I don't know how many runes it took to level Nicol Bolas, since I don't have one, or Karn, since I had about a billion runes lying around when I leveled him.  But from the comments on this board, I infer that it took more.  (240,000?  320,000?)
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    ZW2007- said:
    I don't see why anyone would think that they will skip M19. Why would they rush to catch up to paper if the following set is one they are going to skip? We knew that the set following Dominaria was going to be a Core Set for over a year now (We didn't know DOM was going to be DOM but we knew the timelines). If they skip M19, that means nearly 3.5 months until Guilds of Ravnica releases in paper (Oct. 5th). So again, why would they rush to catch up to paper only to skip a Standard-legal paper set and have no new content for months?
    Well they skipped Battlebond.  Granted the 2-headed giant mechanics aren't exactly usable in mtgpq, but there were a lot of cool nonpartnering-cards that could have been introduced to mtgpq from that set.
    They've also skipped four Masters sets, Conspiracy 2, and Unstable. None of those were standard legal sets though. 

wereotter said:
    They skip masters sets ,too . If it's standard legal, it makes it into mtgpq . They don't include supplemental sets. 
    This isn’t entirely correct. Just look at Dominaria. Not counting basic lands, there are 249 cards in the paper set, but only 192 in Puzzle Quest. Omitting card’s from a release is pretty common. 
    He means the sets themselves, not the cards in the sets.

khurram said:
    Mburn7 said:
    UPDATE@wereotter was correct, there will be 6 planeswalkers coming out in Origins (5 different versions of the planeswalker deck mono-colors and a flip Bolas)

Also, Omniscience is getting a reprint at mythic rare, so we may all get it!  Yay (I think)!!
    Or they may design a completely different and more balanced version at mythic rarity.

But I don't think they'd design another omniscience.
    Omniscience will be rotating with the additional of M19. Perhaps they will nerf the existing MP and make the mythic version the same thing? Honestly I think they will just skip it, wouldn't be the first time a paper mythic was left out.

And on to the topic at hand, we have the entire M19 card list revealed now. In white, there are only 3 cards that already exist in PQ (2C, 1U), 7 blue (5C, 1U, 1M/MP), 3 black (3C), 6 red (6C), 5 green (3C, 2U), 1 multicolor (1U), 2 colorless (2C), and 5 land (5C - enemy colored dual lands).

So 32 out of 260 cards already exist in PQ. A good portion of those have already rotated out of Standard so there is a possibility they just make them part of the new set anyway (we don't have much precedence for this yet but it makes sense to do this now that we have Standard). All except 1 are uncommon or lower in PQ. 100% of the rares and 91% of the non-PW mythics would be new to PQ. I think it's safe to say we are getting M19 in PQ. 

As far as the PWs are concerned, I hope they make the new 5 mono-colored pws the new basic ones at 40 or 50 crystals (or whatever they cost since they upped them from 10). I really don't care one way or the other about getting another Bolas PW but I would like to see a Bolas creature card even if I doubt it happens.
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    • JAYA XP req: (79920 total)
    • KARN XP req: (323750 total)