Core Set speculation

Options
wereotter
wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
We know at this point from the releases/spoilers of the core set that the Core 2019 set will have at least SIX planeswalkers :open_mouth:

We have lined up:
Ajani : mono-white
Tezzeret : mono-blue
Liliana : mono-black
Sarkhan : mono-red
Vivien : mono-green
Bolas : red/black/blue

This seems like potential buyer fatigue the PQ were to release all 6 onto the market for sale with real currency, and it's a lot of crystals to expect people to spend to get them all. So here's the wonder: how if at all will these versions be released?

Personally I think it's smarter to have powered down walkers like the Origins ones available for a small investment of crystals that can provide more options to new players of the game. Maybe give them a different area to shine in than their Origins counterparts, but with comparable end stats.

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, we don't even know if Core 2019 is coming to MTGPQ in the first place.

But the 5 mono-colors are in planeswalker decks, which traditionally are ignored in MTGPQ, so that's not an issue.

Really, there will be 3 new walkers most likely (3 have been spoiled so far, and most sets only have 3)
    They are:

Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants, Mono-White (different from the planeswalker deck Ajani)
    Vivien Reid, Mono-Green (different from the planeswalker deck Vivien)
    Nicol Bolas the Arisen, red/black/blue (transforms from a legendary creature, similarly to the Origins walkers)

If there aren't any more that have yet to be spoiled, these are the ones we will get in game (again, if Core 2019 is coming to MTGPQ at all)
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love to see 6 new PW, but asking us to cough up nearly 2 million runes since February is an issue. I hope they change the runes situation. 
  • wereotter
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Honestly, we don't even know if Core 2019 is coming to MTGPQ in the first place.

But the 5 mono-colors are in planeswalker decks, which traditionally are ignored in MTGPQ, so that's not an issue.

Really, there will be 3 new walkers most likely (3 have been spoiled so far, and most sets only have 3)
    They are:

Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants, Mono-White (different from the planeswalker deck Ajani)
    Vivien Reid, Mono-Green (different from the planeswalker deck Vivien)
    Nicol Bolas the Arisen, red/black/blue (transforms from a legendary creature, similarly to the Origins walkers)

If there aren't any more that have yet to be spoiled, these are the ones we will get in game (again, if Core 2019 is coming to MTGPQ at all)
    Historically, though, the planeswalker deck planeswalkers are alternate, and not normally as good, versions of planeswalkers that exist within the set. Additionally, core sets historically have at least 5 planeswalkers in them, one of each color. So it's entirely possible that the set proper will have alternate versions of all 5 planeswalker deck walkers plus the flip Bolas.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't see why anyone would think that they will skip M19. Why would they rush to catch up to paper if the following set is one they are going to skip? We knew that the set following Dominaria was going to be a Core Set for over a year now (We didn't know DOM was going to be DOM but we knew the timelines). If they skip M19, that means nearly 3.5 months until Guilds of Ravnica releases in paper (Oct. 5th). So again, why would they rush to catch up to paper only to skip a Standard-legal paper set and have no new content for months?
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    I don't see why anyone would think that they will skip M19. Why would they rush to catch up to paper if the following set is one they are going to skip? We knew that the set following Dominaria was going to be a Core Set for over a year now (We didn't know DOM was going to be DOM but we knew the timelines). If they skip M19, that means nearly 3.5 months until Guilds of Ravnica releases in paper (Oct. 5th). So again, why would they rush to catch up to paper only to skip a Standard-legal paper set and have no new content for months?
    The optimistic contrarian in me would say that they're going to skip it so they can take some time to try to fix everything that Hibernum left broken. That would certainly be nice, wouldn't it? Plus it would also allow me a hefty chunk of time to refill my dwindling coffers.

But as fun as it is to argue with you, I can also see your point. They've done a lot of work to get the game to its current state, both in its parity with paper, and the state of its gameplay. I would even say that along the way, they've earned back much of the community respect that was squandered by their predecessors. Furthermore, there is precedent from this game for keeping up with paper releases, pre-dev team swap. It also makes sense from a monetary standpoint, because not giving us the Core '19 set would mean a lot of missed revenue.

So yeah, I can definitely see that they would push Core '19 into the PQ realm. In fact, putting my personal desires aside, I think that objectively it just makes sense for a number of reasons. I just have to sit and wonder now just how they will bring it to us.

Will it replace Origins as the foundational Standard set? Will it just be another addition to Standard, with two "Core" sets remaining in the environment at any given time? Something else I haven't thought up off the cuff here in this post? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    My only speculation is that since a lot of the cards will be reprints it narrows the pool too much for PQ. Assuming they wouldn't put the reprints into the game....
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Oh god not ANOTHER bolas 🙄
    I am most intrigued about  Vivien since she is interesting material for MTGPQ... Still waiting for that green mono walker worth playing (sorry nissa and garruk, you just aren't my cup of tea) 
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My opinion:  Assuming Puzzle Quest still exists in a month, they'll add Core Set 2019.

My opinion:  It will not replace Origins as the default core set.

There are plenty of Dominaria cards which are reprints of old paper cards.  Gilded Lotus, Gaea's Blessing, Clifftop Retreat, Divination, Goblin Warchief, Hinterland Harbor, Isolated Chapel, Llanowar Elves, Sage of Lat-Nam, Serra Angel, Siege-Gang Commander, Skirk Prospector, Sulfur Falls, Syncopate, Verdant Force, Woodland Cemetery, and all 10 of the Masterpieces are reprints.

In the upcoming set, Nicol Bolas is a creature who can flip into a planeswalker, similar to the Origins planeswalkers.  He could be a creature or he could be a planeswalker.  Or they could skip him entirely.  They don't always make a Puzzle Quest planeswalker of every planeswalker (example, Tamiyo from Eldritch Moon), and they don't always make a card of every card.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tilwin90 said:
    I am most intrigued about  Vivien since she is interesting material for MTGPQ... Still waiting for that green mono walker worth playing (sorry nissa and garruk, you just aren't my cup of tea) 
    What do you mean

Not EVERY Bolas has to have creature removal as his first PW ability. We'll be fine.

I'd love to see all 5 mono colored PWs, the tricolored Bolas and a colorless Ugin. Yes even the vets would stuggle to keep up during the leveing up of PWs but it's not the law to have all of your PWs at level 60 as soon as you buy them. Countless newer players already deal with that issue and now so will some vets (not to say I don't want the devs to come up with a more efficient rune source)

As for in the core set will be added to PQ, they'd be crazy not to just because it's the origin story of Bolas and Ugin. I'd be fine with them adding it like just another set that will rotate out if standard or adding it as a new set that will never rotate out of standard alongside origins. 

As for Flippy Nicky, they could just have his creature card as a regular mythic in mtgpq and the PW side as a regular PW .
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I really don't have an issue with runes. Thing is, I'd rather see other tricolored planeswalkers than another bolas.
    If it ends up better than the old bolas people will complain he is op. If he is worse, people will keep using the old bolas. In events we will most likely see twice the number of bolases and similar strategies.
    As for Ugin, its the same comparison with him and Karn. I wouldn't mind another colorless planeswalker but he will probably end up in the same box as karn. Highly usable in PVE and training ground, nearly unseen in PVP events.

Oh and the reason tamiyo was not done was because hibernium feared a bant planeswalker would end up op. And it was probably a wise choice at the time. 

I expect if we are to see bolas he will be implemented just like origins planeswalkers as a planeswalker only, no creature for his paper creature side. 
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Core sets always have the 5 mono pws and an occasional 6th that's multi colored. I don't see why that wouldn't happen , as it's been the case since the first core set with pws .

That said, bolas is a flip creature, and I really don't think we need a second bolas, so I really hope that he's just a creature in this game. I'm also getting a bit tired of pws that cost 320k+ runes to level. 

I can definitely see Vivien happening ,as she's a new character. A new sarkhan would be cool ,but we just got a new mono red pw, so I'm cool either way. A mono w ajani would be cool, since most of his cards have been, anyway. I also don't know how exciting a new mono u tezz would be, but I'm game . If the word zombie appears anywhere on lili , I'm out . I don't really even want a 4th liliana, but I like building black decks a lot. 

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping for 3 or 4 max . I'd.  Really love to not be levelling pws all of the time . I've still got 2 at level 1
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I believe that there will only be Ravnica set.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    khurram said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    What do you mean

Not EVERY Bolas has to have creature removal as his first PW ability. We'll be fine.

I'd love to see all 5 mono colored PWs, the tricolored Bolas and a colorless Ugin. Yes even the vets would stuggle to keep up during the leveing up of PWs but it's not the law to have all of your PWs at level 60 as soon as you buy them. Countless newer players already deal with that issue and now so will some vets (not to say I don't want the devs to come up with a more efficient rune source)

As for in the core set will be added to PQ, they'd be crazy not to just because it's the origin story of Bolas and Ugin. I'd be fine with them adding it like just another set that will rotate out if standard or adding it as a new set that will never rotate out of standard alongside origins. 

As for Flippy Nicky, they could just have his creature card as a regular mythic in mtgpq and the PW side as a regular PW .
    If @Tilwin90 is referring to paper mtg when referencing Bolas, than I do share his eye-roll at the introduction of another Bolas.

Popular opinion from the mtg player base was already very unfavorable of The Gatewatch in general, I suspect because they were present in every and in every new set...it was like MTG the soap opera.

I get that M19 is more of a collection/rehash than a new chapter of the mtg storyline, but regardless the over-saturation of the same characters is going to build the same player-distaste as it already has with The Gatewatch
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Well they skipped Battlebond.  Granted the 2-headed giant mechanics aren't exactly usable in mtgpq, but there were a lot of cool nonpartnering-cards that could have been introduced to mtgpq from that set.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    UPDATE@wereotter was correct, there will be 6 planeswalkers coming out in Origins (5 different versions of the planeswalker deck mono-colors and a flip Bolas)

Also, Omniscience is getting a reprint at mythic rare, so we may all get it!  Yay (I think)!!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    UPDATE@wereotter was correct, there will be 6 planeswalkers coming out in Origins (5 different versions of the planeswalker deck mono-colors and a flip Bolas)

Also, Omniscience is getting a reprint at mythic rare, so we may all get it!  Yay (I think)!!
    Or they may design a completely different and more balanced version at mythic rarity.

But I don't think they'd design another omniscience.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    They skip masters sets ,too . If it's standard legal, it makes it into mtgpq . They don't include supplemental sets. 
  • wereotter
    Options
    They skip masters sets ,too . If it's standard legal, it makes it into mtgpq . They don't include supplemental sets. 
    This isn’t entirely correct. Just look at Dominaria. Not counting basic lands, there are 249 cards in the paper set, but only 192 in Puzzle Quest. Omitting card’s from a release is pretty common. 
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Did you notice that core19 is going to have omniscience again?
    And you're talking about **** pw?
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Really [snip] is offensive? lol

[MOD NOTE] Removed profanity. bk [//MOD NOTE]