Core Set speculation

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    There’s another thread addressing this Omnicience. Also this thread was started prior to the announcement of the inclusion of that card. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back to the walker issue:

Do we need 5 new monocolor walkers?  Probably not.

Do we need a now Bolas?  Possibly not, although he's at least pretty useful and both versions would get use
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    They did it they finally made a legendary Bear!!!  My dreams of a Bear tribal deck are finally possible!

But it doesn't support bear tribal, as most bears are under 4 power.  Such a let down.
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Mburn7 said:

Do we need a now Bolas?  Possibly not, although he's at least pretty useful and both versions would get use
    A different three colors PW would be very welcome. Karn did not meet our needs because of his limitations.
  • Mburn7
    They did it they finally made a legendary Bear!!!  My dreams of a Bear tribal deck are finally possible!

But it doesn't support bear tribal, as most bears are under 4 power.  Such a let down.
    I didn't see that yet.  Need to alert my friend, who already has a Bear commander deck (he's been using Surrak as his commander, because of his bear thing).  About damn time lol
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    I bet they skip Omniscience completely. And when HOU rotates out it's not standard any more. Good riddance!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards

Bears are not wombats. Who even are you?

Also, looks like no Ugin for core set. I'm sad.

• fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Mburn7 said:

hmmmm, 850 for additional UBR slot....hmmmm
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    wereotter said:
    They skip masters sets ,too . If it's standard legal, it makes it into mtgpq . They don't include supplemental sets. 
    This isn’t entirely correct. Just look at Dominaria. Not counting basic lands, there are 249 cards in the paper set, but only 192 in Puzzle Quest. Omitting card’s from a release is pretty common. 

so sad that they didn't bring in Icy manipulator.
  • Mburn7
    Gunmix25 said:
    wereotter said:
    They skip masters sets ,too . If it's standard legal, it makes it into mtgpq . They don't include supplemental sets. 
    This isn’t entirely correct. Just look at Dominaria. Not counting basic lands, there are 249 cards in the paper set, but only 192 in Puzzle Quest. Omitting card’s from a release is pretty common. 

You like that card?  I never would have guessed
  • wereotter
    Mburn7 said:

That's really what I've been wondering. I don't think we need another cast of 5 mono-colored planeswalkers, at least not for those who have a solid planeswalker collection and a lot of cards. But, I do think that for recent arrivals to the game, getting more than one cheap starter option for each of the colors, maybe that do different things so they can take advantage of what cards they've pulled, would be valuable.

Core sets have always been designed more with new players in mind, so getting 10-crystal walkers with lower health and mana gains, like the Origins walkers now, might not be such a bad thing provided they at least do something different from the ones we have now. 

If that's not the way they handle it, though, I wouldn't be upset if they just skipped all 6 of them and gave us other walkers they passed over before, specifically I'm thinking Tamiyo. Also if they can pull from historical planeswalkers again, maybe get us Ashiok, Kaya, or the red-black Daretti. Wouldn't mind seeing Ral Zarek, though I would hold off on doing his old version as there's a good chance he'll get another card in the upcoming Ravnica sets.
  • Mburn7
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

That's really what I've been wondering. I don't think we need another cast of 5 mono-colored planeswalkers, at least not for those who have a solid planeswalker collection and a lot of cards. But, I do think that for recent arrivals to the game, getting more than one cheap starter option for each of the colors, maybe that do different things so they can take advantage of what cards they've pulled, would be valuable.

Core sets have always been designed more with new players in mind, so getting 10-crystal walkers with lower health and mana gains, like the Origins walkers now, might not be such a bad thing provided they at least do something different from the ones we have now. 

The Origins walkers haven't cost 10 in a while, they switched over to the same 295 cost that all mono colors do a while ago.  Same time Kiora was dropped from 950 to 650 like the other dual colors.

If they put the Origins back at a discount, though, I agree that having a second set of cheaper beginner options wouldn't be a bad idea.  A choice between different play styles of each color would be a good way to get new players used to building around a walker with different cards.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    wereotter said:

You like that card?  I never would have guessed

Yeah, I'm not much of a hinting kind of guy. ;)
  • FindingHeart8
    Mburn7 said:

I didn't see that yet.  Need to alert my friend, who already has a Bear commander deck (he's been using Surrak as his commander, because of his bear thing).  About damn time lol
    looky! looky!

httpmythicspoilercomm19cardsgoreclawterrorofqalsismajpg

clearly made by someone who didn't do their homework on mtg bears.  But still awesome to finally have a legendary bear :)

• FindingHeart8
    edited June 2018
    khurram said:

fact of life:
    everything is...will be, or should be, a wombat.

Yeah bringing Ugin back would be sweet, he's like the only character that isn't overdone in mtg.  Starting to think of calling this game: Degrassi, the Gathering.

• Mburn7
    khurram said:

fact of life:
    everything is...will be, or should be, a wombat.

Yeah bringing Ugin back would be sweet, he's like the only character that isn't overdone in mtg.  Starting to think of calling this game: Degrassi, the Gathering.

The problem is (if you think its a problem) is Wizards wants to focus more on the story, and making it accessible to everyone (instead of only an ebook nobody has ever heard of).

Now, I don't agree that every single set has to be a part of that overarching story, but they do (since it would be confusing to have random gaps in the story for people who don't know whats going on).  As a result, the same characters have to show up somewhat consistently in order to progress the story along. 

The good thing is, Bolas is an awesome villain, and I don't mind seeing him more often.
    The bad thing is, The Gatewatch is mostly made up of (basically) angsty teens.  I like them individually, but not all together all the time.
    The good thing is, after the upcoming Ravnica trilogy this story should be wrapped up, so there should be some new characters and storylines coming.
  • wereotter
    Mburn7 said:

looky! looky!

clearly made by someone who didn't do their homework on mtg bears.  But still awesome to finally have a legendary bear :)

If only they made it a brown bear.... then it could have been the one Surrak punched. The art would have been a perfect fit if it was.

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lot's to unpack here even with the rampant bear-jacking that is taking place... Anyone else excited about using a 4Bearers Blade in a Bear tribal deck?

Anyway, on the mono-gatewatch PWs... ugh... no freaking thanks.  However, it would be AWESOME if they took the 5 new PWs and used them to REPLACE the 5 origins base walkers.  Everyone complains about how terrible they are and in need of a buff.  Sure, I would miss L1 and G1 a little bit, but I think it would be a really cool move to give everyone a lot of fresh content for free.  Probably not going to happen, but just a thought.

Personally, I am very disappointed in the PWs... Why?  Because it opens 0 new doors.  Why would we need another mono or another R/B/U?  Wouldn't it be nice to get a G/U/W or a B/R/G?  I guess Karn can do it all, but it would feel fresh and new if we had some new tri-color PWs..  Instead it feels like the same styles going into slightly different walkers.. ie, no new combos.
  • FindingHeart8
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:

looky! looky!

If only they made it a brown bear.... then it could have been the one Surrak punched. The art would have been a perfect fit if it was.

that would have been amazing :D:D:D

they could name him Goreclaw, the Reformed Bear
    flavortext: He was a bad bear once, but then he got a punch in the right direction.

then they could make a legendary for the dragon he punched, and then one for all the people he probably punched, and then one for the mountain he punched...
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    I bet they make the original walkers unavailable routinely except by rotation and make the new 5 mono color walkers the default/cheap ones.