Hello Phyrexia!!! And other Discussions of MTG Lore

Options
13»

Comments

• TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Homelands, I'll give you (though I remember having a thing for trying to get Eron the Relentless into a deck that worked, and, of course, Autumn Willow, and the bug), but in the end there were a few good cards in Fallen Empires, like Hymn, Goblin Grenade, and the pump knights. It was just such a large print run they were practically giving the boosters away in the end, trying to get rid of it.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Hmm, maybe the demone can chance size or shape? Maybe certain parts of him are really small for a demon?

That would make sense if either of them had the shapeshifter (or maybe illusion) creature subtype.  But they dont O.o
    Let's give those 2 some space. What they do privately is their business.  :|
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Dusty said:
    Stormcrow said:

Kamigawa's primary failure was that Wizards realized they screwed up in making Mirrodin overpowered, so they tried to counterbalance the power spike by making Kamigawa weaker.  Obviously, that didn't sit well for the buyers looking for mighty new cards to add to their decks.
    Which, they really should've expected, since the same thing happened with Mercadian Masques (the *actual* worst block in Magic history...
    Homelands and Fallen Empires would beg to differ :)
    They're bad sets (although Fallen Empires isn't really *that* bad) but they're not the worst *block*. Masques block is Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, and Prophecy, all three of which are terrible. Fallen Empires was pre-block days and I think Homelands gets lumped in with Ice Age and Alliances as a block (though TBH that was pre-block days too, kind of a retroactive block). Kamigawa on the other hand would probably be considered a perfectly mediocre block if Saviors hadn't sucked so bad.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kamigawa just has a bad rep, mostly because it had **** mechanics, and the set is strictly worse/less interesting considering the legend rule changed since then. Also the mechanics of needing to have more cards in your hand than your opponents really hut colors notoriously bad at card draw like red and white.

But outside that, look at individual cards from the block, and there are a lot of cards people really like that, I think, people forget are from that block. Sensei's Divining Top, Eight and a Half Tails, Yosei, Kokusho, Ghostly Prison, Kiki-Jiki, Kodama's Reach, Umezawa's Jitte, and Pithing Needle are all examples of cards that first appeared in that block.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I loved the feel of Kamigawa and enjoyed the books at the time.
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've been playing the luxury cardboard rectangles since slightly before the first encounter with the phyrexians . I'm not sure if it's nostalgia ,but I really think that the phyrexian scourge is just cool . They're weird looking whilst still sort of human. They're not even evil, they're just malignant. They're not trying to destroy so much as consume and nobody is safe. The got the elves, the goblins ,even an angel or two. Eldrazi come close in cool factor, but I can't quite take the flying spaghet seriously pre eldrich moon . My inner Timmy is very happy with this little touch. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dusty said:
    Stormcrow said:

Kamigawa's primary failure was that Wizards realized they screwed up in making Mirrodin overpowered, so they tried to counterbalance the power spike by making Kamigawa weaker.  Obviously, that didn't sit well for the buyers looking for mighty new cards to add to their decks.
    Which, they really should've expected, since the same thing happened with Mercadian Masques (the *actual* worst block in Magic history...
    Homelands and Fallen Empires would beg to differ :)
    I never quite understood the hate for Mercadian Masques.  The set brought some very interesting abilities (I always thought the monger abilities were pretty snazzy); Rebels, Mercenaries, and other powerful cards like Puppet's Verdict, Crackdown, Soothsaying, Snuff Out, Story Circle, and my all-time favorite goblin Squee (not to be mistaken for its sad mtgpq replica)
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Mercadian masques made me quit for about a year. In a looking back on it now kind of way , it wasn't terrible, but after the tempest and saga blocks ,it was hot garbage and I was an angsty teenager
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agreed, and me too, except for the teenager part...lol
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    haha yeah, I was a (very young) teen as well.  I think what kept me going was that I was more of a collector at that time than a competitive player, and Mercadian Masques had some interesting artwork.

Also, I had no idea the potential of the cards I had at my fingertips.  I remember giving away search lands that were worth $30-50 years later.

Dishonor on my whole family

Dishonor on me

Dishonor on my cow

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    haha yeah, I was a (very young) teen as well.  I think what kept me going was that I was more of a collector at that time than a competitive player, and Mercadian Masques had some interesting artwork.

Also, I had no idea the potential of the cards I had at my fingertips.  I remember giving away search lands that were worth $30-50 years later.

Dishonor on me

Dishonor on my cow

My favorite lost value story was Mental Misstep (from new Phyrexia)

I thought it was the most useless card ever, so of course I got 4.

Found out a month later that they were worth like $30 each.

A month later I went to my shop with my set of them, found out that 2 days earlier it was banned in the format that made it valuable.  Value dropped to basically 0.

I still have those 4 missteps.   *sigh*
  • FindingHeart8
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Mburn7 said:

Dishonor on me

Dishonor on my cow

My favorite lost value story was Mental Misstep (from new Phyrexia)

I thought it was the most useless card ever, so of course I got 4.

Found out a month later that they were worth like $30 each.

A month later I went to my shop with my set of them, found out that 2 days earlier it was banned in the format that made it valuable.  Value dropped to basically 0.

I still have those 4 missteps.   *sigh*
    that hurts just to read.  my sympathies friend :(

hold onto them though, if they ever lift the ban (which they've done a couple times before) they'll probably skyrocket in value
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Anyone checking out the Core set story?  Some fun facts so far.

Bolas and Ugin are twins.
    Since they were born of the same egg, they each only have one name (ironically Bolas' real name is Nichol), not two like all the other elder dragons.  Bolas made up the second name for himself to fit in and sound important, Ugin didn't really care.
    Ugin predicted his death to ancient Jesaki shamans that he would be killed by that which he loves most, who would come to Tarkir and use lies and deceit to get allies.
    Yasova is still a boss 20 years after losing her staff and throne to Atkara
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I find it also interesting that the two are smaller than every other elder, since they come from one egg, thus receiving little respect from other elders. This explains a lot in Nikolas behavior
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    I find it also interesting that the two are smaller than every other elder, since they come from one egg, thus receiving little respect from other elders. This explains a lot in Nikolas behavior
    he's immortally in his terrible twos