Hello Phyrexia!!! And other Discussions of MTG Lore

Options
FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm not sure if anyone else is geeking out about this as much as I am, but this event (however good or bad, glitched or not it might be) is mtgpq's first real brush against the Phyrexian scourge!

At this point in the Magic the Gathering universe, you can summarize that there are 3 primary Big Bads, and this game has already faced the other two (Eldrazi in Zendikar/Innistrad, Bolas and his servants through Kaladesh/Amonkhet), this is a glimpse of Phyrexia...the final Big Bad, and the one that destroyed one of my favorite worlds (Mirrodin).

Just wanted to get that out there.  Feel free to geek with me (or geek about something else in mtg lore.)

:):D;):D:)

///edit///: Changed discussion name so more inclusive for additional mtg lore discussions. ///edit///

Comments

• James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's unclear to me if "we" are Phyrexian in this event.  It seems like the last two battles are the player crushing the allied forces opposing us.

Either way, I do love these events.  Looking forward to the next two!   :)
  • FindingHeart8
    edited June 2018
    Options

Dusty said:
    All will be one.

I fight for the suns, the surface, and everything in between.

Image result for mirrodin pure symbol
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    James13 said:
    It's unclear to me if "we" are Phyrexian in this event.  It seems like the last two battles are the player crushing the allied forces opposing us.

We're fighting everybody.  Corrupt Avacyn, Amonkhet's Gods, Bolas, Kozilek and his tentacle friends, Kaladesh Robots, Tezzeret, Azor Griffons, random landscapes...nobody likes us
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

James13 said:

Isn't it obvious? We started fighting them, but the oil corrupted us so we turned on our allies.

Oh, allies.. Why should the living legacy spawn ally tokens :D

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just wish the intro text was actually relevant to each fight, instead of just generic holder text.  That is the one thing I miss from Hibernium (ok, 2 if you count the mana wheel loading wheel, but they also got rid of it so meh)
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Screw Phyrexia, I just get the warm fuzzies seeing the real Gerrard again! Especially after all these references in Dominaria.

I would seriously pay top dollar if they ever implemented the actual Invasion set in this, easily my favorite block of all time! 

Relateret billede

"Don't mourn for me, this is my destiny"
    - Gerrard Capashen
  • MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My absolute favorite set in MTG by farrrrr is New Phyrexia. 
    Note that I have been playing paper magic since the beginning. I was a kid when it came out and got into MTG just as/right before Revised (3rd edition) started hitting the shelves (April 1994). 
    The trailer for New Phyrexia is SUPER AWESOME!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg

My second fav set is a recent one, hour of devastation, and the trailer for that is also super awesome!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHx-tBtgYs
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Screw Phyrexia, I just get the warm fuzzies seeing the real Gerrard again! Especially after all these references in Dominaria.

I would seriously pay top dollar if they ever implemented the actual Invasion set in this, easily my favorite block of all time! 

Relateret billede

"Don't mourn for me, this is my destiny"
    - Gerrard Capashen
    Yeah I was also glad to see him as more than just a statue.

And they dug up the art from the old sets too!

looks like someone did their homework ;)
  • Mburn7
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:
    My absolute favorite set in MTG by farrrrr is New Phyrexia. 
    Note that I have been playing paper magic since the beginning. I was a kid when it came out and got into MTG just as/right before Revised (3rd edition) started hitting the shelves (April 1994). 
    The trailer for New Phyrexia is SUPER AWESOME!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg

My second fav set is a recent one, hour of devastation, and the trailer for that is also super awesome!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eHx-tBtgYs
    I started playing when Scars came out, and New Phyrexia was by far my best pre-release (got a **** ton of door prize cards and got 4th in shop).  It was a fantastic set.

Innistrad is my favorite so far, though.  Love me my werewolves
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Dusty said:
    All will be one.

I fight for the suns, the surface, and everything in between.

Image result for mirrodin pure symbol
    The five suns will never shine on a Phyrexian world!

Can't wait to see Karn go back and finish this by just blowing up the entire plane.
  • MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The New Phyrexia pre-release was really special for me too.

Like all long time players, I took a few long breaks in the 25 years mtg has been out, but the reason for one of the breaks was because how broken and unbalanced the Mirrodin set was when it came out. I am a casual player and a good play group is the most important part about the game, and this set literally caused tension in my fun playgroup to the point that we all took a few year break from the game. That was very disappointing.
    Even hardcore players had a tough time with that set as it was a complete design failure seeing that they had to ban/restrict more cards from that block, in both standard and vintage, than in any other set in mtg history!
    Any bans at all is a design issue, but more than 2 or 3 cards in a block is very bad. 

Storywise, my fav mtg villains were winning the epic war against my least fav plane in mtg, mirrodin, and it was an absolute crushing victory. So needless to say, I was very happy to see my least fav plane utterly destroyed, never to be returned to again  >:) 
    Yawgmoth was the most evil and powerful supervillian that has been introduced in mtg, and he destroyed MANY planes, including the home plane of magic: Dominaria. While the invasion wasnt successful, it was truly epic to see all the heroes you became attached to over the years be destroyed at the hands of the phyrexians.
    Those first 8 years seem like forever as a kid, and at that time, magic only had one long story arch that peaked in apocalypse in 2001, then the phyrexian influence continued through into the next several blocks until they decided to make it a multiverse.

However the most special thing that happened at the New Phyrexia pre-release was not just that while playing I kicked butt and pulled two Karn Liberated planeswalkers (they are like $100 each)! but was that as I left the event I discovered that someone broke into my car and stole all my casual decks, which there was like 25 of them (roughly half of my decks)...man that sucked as that was a lot of money and 17 years of collecting. Fortunately I had all the decks written down in an excel spread sheet so I knew exactly what was stolen. So ya, I will never forget that set. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Need way more possible reactions that "Like" for that post MTG_Mage! Wow!
  • Stormbringer0
    Stormbringer0 Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:

Like all long time players, I took a few long breaks in the 25 years mtg has been out, but the reason for one of the breaks was because how broken and unbalanced the Mirrodin set was when it came out. I am a casual player and a good play group is the most important part about the game, and this set literally caused tension in my fun playgroup to the point that we all took a few year break from the game. That was very disappointing.
    Even hardcore players had a tough time with that set as it was a complete design failure seeing that they had to ban/restrict more cards from that block, in both standard and vintage, than in any other set in mtg history!
    Any bans at all is a design issue, but more than 2 or 3 cards in a block is very bad. 

Storywise, my fav mtg villains were winning the epic war against my least fav plane in mtg, mirrodin, and it was an absolute crushing victory. So needless to say, I was very happy to see my least fav plane utterly destroyed, never to be returned to again  >:) 
    Yawgmoth was the most evil and powerful supervillian that has been introduced in mtg, and he destroyed MANY planes, including the home plane of magic: Dominaria. While the invasion wasnt successful, it was truly epic to see all the heroes you became attached to over the years be destroyed at the hands of the phyrexians.
    Those first 8 years seem like forever as a kid, and at that time, magic only had one long story arch that peaked in apocalypse in 2001, then the phyrexian influence continued through into the next several blocks until they decided to make it a multiverse.

However the most special thing that happened at the New Phyrexia pre-release was not just that while playing I kicked butt and pulled two Karn Liberated planeswalkers (they are like $100 each)! but was that as I left the event I discovered that someone broke into my car and stole all my casual decks, which there was like 25 of them (roughly half of my decks)...man that sucked as that was a lot of money and 17 years of collecting. Fortunately I had all the decks written down in an excel spread sheet so I knew exactly what was stolen. So ya, I will never forget that set. 
    I wwas about to write "ALL HAIL YAWGMOTH", but now I'm sad and I feel sorry for your loss. Peoples are ****. :(

But still: "ALL HAIL YAWGMOTH"!

What I like about those events as a long-term player of over 15 years is that they use some old artworks on the Event. I love it!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was actually hoping that they'd let the event bosses use special cards from the old sets and not just the art. That would have been cool.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    MTG_Mage said:

Very interesting backstory, and I'm really sorry to hear your cards were all stolen.  That's really rough but I'm glad to hear you had the spreadsheet at least so your strategies weren't lost as well.

What's also interesting (and ironic) is that I was on the opposite end of this war.  As a young child (and also a mtg purist who looked at this game as a more elaborate version of chess); I didn't ask for help in deck construction or game strategy, ever.  I learned by looking through the cards I had in my collection, again, again, and again until a new strategy came to me.  I also learned by getting my butt kicked, and I got my butt kicked...a lot.  And then we came to Mirrodin,one of the first sets off Dominaria.

Mirrodin, to me, was the dawning-point for a whole new level of caliber in my gaming strategy.  And I'm not talking about those lame infinite-combo win strategies.  I loved coming up with new and obscure strategies that winded up being really powerful, because other player didn't know how to handle them.  Since then I've played thousands of players in paper mtg, and to this day I'm still yet to meet a single person who implemented the same strategies. ;)

Anyways, with my coming-of-strategic-age experience in the world of Mirrodin (and my hatred for Infect, one of the most-broken mtg mechanics in existence with the exception of maybe Affinity and Storm); I was loyal to the Mirran resistance, and very sad to see it fall and the unique world of Mirrodin become just another Phyrexia.

I do appreciate the tragic twist on the mtg storyline, where the good guys don't always win.   The Mirran's fought admirably, the Praetors were interesting, powerful and scary, and it was shortly followed by my favorite mtg world ever made, Kamigawa :)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Dusty said:
    FindingHeart8 said:

I do appreciate the tragic twist on the mtg storyline, where the good guys don't always win.   The Mirran's fought admirably, the Praetors were interesting, powerful and scary, and it was shortly followed by my favorite mtg world ever made, Kamigawa :)
    Hey, good to hear Kamigawa getting some love! Some great art design, especially with the spirits; cool abilities, I've certainly had fun Ninjustuing Ninja of the Deep Hours or Ink Eyes, Splice is neat, and Soulshift was certainly good in limited (Kamigawa 2 should feature Splice onto Instant and Soulshift Elf!); and flip cards, whilst hella ugly, are conceptually no different from Transform cards, and we all know how much people love those. Plus, Tamiyo's home plane :smile:

I dream of a day where I can make a Standard deck of Samurai and snow-plains.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dusty said:
    FindingHeart8 said:

Hey, good to hear Kamigawa getting some love! Some great art design, especially with the spirits; cool abilities, I've certainly had fun Ninjustuing Ninja of the Deep Hours or Ink Eyes, Splice is neat, and Soulshift was certainly good in limited (Kamigawa 2 should feature Splice onto Instant and Soulshift Elf!); and flip cards, whilst hella ugly, are conceptually no different from Transform cards, and we all know how much people love those. Plus, Tamiyo's home plane :smile:

Maro mentioned around the time of SOI that the next Kamigawa block is in developement.

Of course, they might have scrapped it since then, but it was being worked on! :D
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Dusty said:
    FindingHeart8 said:

Maro mentioned around the time of SOI that the next Kamigawa block is in developement.

Of course, they might have scrapped it since then, but it was being worked on! :D
    Well we know the next 3 sets are Ravnica, so if Kamigawa is coming back it won't be for a while.