Hello Phyrexia!!! And other Discussions of MTG Lore

Options

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Gaaaaaaah @Thuran ya got me hopes up!

Really want to see snake tribal become a thing.

Not what we currently have *bunny ears motion with hands* the "naaaga"

...flubbin snake hipsters is what they are
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dusty said:
    Thuran said:
    Dusty said:
    FindingHeart8 said:

I do appreciate the tragic twist on the mtg storyline, where the good guys don't always win.   The Mirran's fought admirably, the Praetors were interesting, powerful and scary, and it was shortly followed by my favorite mtg world ever made, Kamigawa :)
    Hey, good to hear Kamigawa getting some love! Some great art design, especially with the spirits; cool abilities, I've certainly had fun Ninjustuing Ninja of the Deep Hours or Ink Eyes, Splice is neat, and Soulshift was certainly good in limited (Kamigawa 2 should feature Splice onto Instant and Soulshift Elf!); and flip cards, whilst hella ugly, are conceptually no different from Transform cards, and we all know how much people love those. Plus, Tamiyo's home plane :smile:

Maro mentioned around the time of SOI that the next Kamigawa block is in developement.

Of course, they might have scrapped it since then, but it was being worked on! :D
    Really??!!!

I'm not convinced... Rosewater has been highly critical of the block in the past, and continues to be; Kamigawa was a failure both creatively and in terms of sales.

There's not much evidence of a return to Kamigawa on Google, this reddit thread looks promising, but it links to this rather obvious joke.
    The biggest issues with the block (as best as I can tell) is it was a legendary-themed set with only rare legendaries.  Now that that issue is fixed with Dominaria combined with the new tech they have for printing packs (being used in Battlebond) I could see them making a return eventually.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Dusty said:
    Thuran said:
    Dusty said:
    FindingHeart8 said:

I do appreciate the tragic twist on the mtg storyline, where the good guys don't always win.   The Mirran's fought admirably, the Praetors were interesting, powerful and scary, and it was shortly followed by my favorite mtg world ever made, Kamigawa :)
    Hey, good to hear Kamigawa getting some love! Some great art design, especially with the spirits; cool abilities, I've certainly had fun Ninjustuing Ninja of the Deep Hours or Ink Eyes, Splice is neat, and Soulshift was certainly good in limited (Kamigawa 2 should feature Splice onto Instant and Soulshift Elf!); and flip cards, whilst hella ugly, are conceptually no different from Transform cards, and we all know how much people love those. Plus, Tamiyo's home plane :smile:

Maro mentioned around the time of SOI that the next Kamigawa block is in developement.

Of course, they might have scrapped it since then, but it was being worked on! :D
    Really??!!!

I'm not convinced... Rosewater has been highly critical of the block in the past, and continues to be; Kamigawa was a failure both creatively and in terms of sales.

There's not much evidence of a return to Kamigawa on Google, this reddit thread looks promising, but it links to this rather obvious joke.
    heyheyhey now...some of us happen to thing Kamigawa was very creative (with some amazing art too) ;)

Kamigawa's primary failure was that Wizards realized they screwed up in making Mirrodin overpowered, so they tried to counterbalance the power spike by making Kamigawa weaker.  Obviously, that didn't sit well for the buyers looking for mighty new cards to add to their decks.

Kamigawa still brought some very interesting and fun mechanics to the game, even if the set overall wasn't that formidable.
  • Blazer
    Blazer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    A little off topic but anyone else REALLY creeped out by the artwork on the Spread of Phyresis support. (shudders in the corner)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Blazer said:
    A little off topic but anyone else REALLY creeped out by the artwork on the Spread of Phyresis support. (shudders in the corner)
    I'm desensitized to it now, but when the card first came out in paper mtg I was like wooooah creepy.

Now to me, it's just a fun card in paper mtg to turn yourself invincible :3
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Dusty said:
    Thuran said:
    Dusty said:
    FindingHeart8 said:

Really??!!!

The biggest issues with the block (as best as I can tell) is it was a legendary-themed set with only rare legendaries.  Now that that issue is fixed with Dominaria combined with the new tech they have for printing packs (being used in Battlebond) I could see them making a return eventually.
    What are you talking about? XD the block had plenty of un common legendaries, and iirc also some common ones? 

Example:  http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=78968
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Dusty said:
    Thuran said:
    Dusty said:
    FindingHeart8 said:

Really??!!!

What are you talking about? XD the block had plenty of un common legendaries, and iirc also some common ones? 

Example:  http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=78968
    Oh.  Huh.  I should note, my only real knowledge of Kamigawa design comes from all the times Mark Rosewater talked about it when mentioning all the mistakes they didn't re-do in Dominaria.  Pretty sure he mentioned that a big issue was a legendary theme with a terrible As-Fan of legendaries.  I may have misunderstood.

Sorry. I'll go back to being a passive spectator here lol.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Dusty said:
    Mburn7 said:

Oh.  Huh.  I should note, my only real knowledge of Kamigawa design comes from all the times Mark Rosewater talked about it when mentioning all the mistakes they didn't re-do in Dominaria.  Pretty sure he mentioned that a big issue was a legendary theme with a terrible As-Fan of legendaries.  I may have misunderstood.

Sorry. I'll go back to being a passive spectator here lol.
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/because-salt-makes-mistakes-taste-great-2016-05-09

It wasn't that all the legends were rare... it was that all the rares were legends :)

Kamigawa had some uncommon legends, and so when I went to the prerelease and saw dozens of people opening legends, the theme seemed obvious to me, but I guess it wasn't to small groups opening handfuls of boosters. The 'historic' keyword allowed them to write 'legendary' on a bunch of common cards in Dominaria without those cards being too narrow.
    I was literally just about to post that article ;)

Frankly I find his opinion quite disappointing.  Not because Wizards hasn't screwed up (he's right, it has...a lot) but I wouldn't consider the things he mentioned to be top tier mistakes, frankly I didn't even think some of them were issues in the first place.

Though from a we-need-yet-again-another-way-to-simplify-the-game standpoint I can see his arguments holding water.  But I play this game to exercise the strategic muscles of my brain (metaphorically speaking), so it's not something I approve of.  If I wanted to do something simple and easy, I'd go sit on the couch and watch a Disney Movie lol
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blazer said:
    I'm desensitized to it now, but when the card first came out in paper mtg I was like wooooah creepy.

Same, though the art from this one still makes me super uncomfortable even all these years later:

• FindingHeart8
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Blazer said:

Same, though the art from this one still makes me super uncomfortable even all these years later:

oh yeah, that and other cards from the Ice Age block still give me the willies
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options

There's a lot of really creepy/uncomfortable MTG art out there.  Mainly in Black.  Also a shout out to the fairly commonly seen Ad Nauseam art.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That picture is incredible... The more you look at it...
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    agreed, twisted in a fascinating way :)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options

httpsiebayimgcom00sNTAwWDM2MAzuiMAAOSwUl5bHVfv_57PNGset_id8800005007
    so I went up against two players who were rocking the angel/demon battlebond combo.  So lore-wise...apparently these two are married, or in love, or at least in a relationship...which would be the first time (that I'm aware of at least) in mtg of an average-size person involved with a giant.

...which is fine, you know...not like I'm judging...

...or that it's weird or anything...

...not strange at all I'd say...

How???
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmm, maybe the demone can chance size or shape? Maybe certain parts of him are really small for a demon?

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Kamigawa's primary failure was that Wizards realized they screwed up in making Mirrodin overpowered, so they tried to counterbalance the power spike by making Kamigawa weaker.  Obviously, that didn't sit well for the buyers looking for mighty new cards to add to their decks.
    Which, they really should've expected, since the same thing happened with Mercadian Masques (the *actual* worst block in Magic history, Kamigawa wasn't nearly as bad) after the hilariously overpowered Urza's block.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Hmm, maybe the demone can chance size or shape? Maybe certain parts of him are really small for a demon?

That would make sense if either of them had the shapeshifter (or maybe illusion) creature subtype.  But they dont O.o