What do you think about Aliance events as the way of introducing new characters (like IW Spidey)?

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,190 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like to have all future characters being introduced in Aliance events.
    Regardless of how you voted (I prefer it since I can never finish better than T20 and normally T50 for a release that gets 2 or 1 cover) it's clear that this format gives out hundreds if not thousands of times more covers than a regular PvE does for a release.

Our casual alliance finished all 8 rounds at noon at stopped playing and now we are 439th. Assuming 20 members per alliance that means roughly 8800 players so far have gotten 3 covers. It's probably more on the order of 12000 given you get all 3 by the time you finish round 7. Compared to maybe a couple hundred who get 3+ covers in a regular PvE release.

As many have noted, just add a bit more ISO and it would be perfect.

KGB
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I prefer new characters being introduced in regular PvE placement reward pool.
    KGB said:
    Regardless of how you voted (I prefer it since I can never finish better than T20 and normally T50 for a release that gets 2 or 1 cover) it's clear that this format gives out hundreds if not thousands of times more covers than a regular PvE does for a release.

Our casual alliance finished all 8 rounds at noon at stopped playing and now we are 439th. Assuming 20 members per alliance that means roughly 8800 players so far have gotten 3 covers. It's probably more on the order of 12000 given you get all 3 by the time you finish round 7. Compared to maybe a couple hundred who get 3+ covers in a regular PvE release.

KGB
    Sorry to say, it will not be perfect.  Top 10 pve players in SL9 will not want this. You lose covers, HP, Tokens, CPs, Piso and Riso. 
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:

KGB
    Sorry to say, it will not be perfect.  Top 10 pve players in SL9 will not want this. You lose covers, HP, Tokens, CPs, Piso and Riso. 
    Top 10PvE players... that is not that big number considering the size of each group in PvE. Compared to 600+ Aliances, each with 20 players, that achieved of will propably achieve Tier 8, it is certainly better for most players to have new sysem. Sure, some players gets their loot reduced, but with all that frustration and time needed to reach top 10, i am not sure it is such a bad thing :D
    Anyway, we could revamp rewards in aliance events, especially personal tiers - right now i am at 2,2M points, which is 100% more than max tier.
  • The rockett
    edited June 2018
    veny said:
    KGB said:

KGB
    Top 10PvE players... that is not that big number considering the size of each group in PvE. Compared to 600+ Aliances, each with 20 players, that achieved of will propably achieve Tier 8, it is certainly better for most players to have new sysem. Sure, some players gets their loot reduced, but with all that frustration and time needed to reach top 10, i am not sure it is such a bad thing :D
    Anyway, we could revamp rewards in aliance events, especially personal tiers - right now i am at 2,2M points, which is 100% more than max tier.
    But to say “it would be perfect” isn’t correct either. The game for some people is a competition to be the best and beat the best.  If everybody gets the same rewards if you finish the boss event in the first 24 hours like some did or until last minute, it kills that for a lot of people.  Then everybody is a winner no matter how much time, money or energy you have invested in your roster.  
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    edited June 2018
    I much prefer boss events for new releases  mainly because it frees me from the being stuck to the game every day at the same time on the weekends (always S5 and in EST time zone) .  I can't get t10 to save my life it seems so I don't miss out on anything anyway except iso.  Even if I was t10 regularly I wouldn't care because I'll get covers eventually anyway and the extra time outside the game is worth it. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would work out great for me, but I'm sure there are some alliances that don't manage to finish.  Newer players often struggle to find a solid group that is both active and high enough level to earn the covers.  This method would be very frustrating for those players.  Perhaps if the new covers are in personal rather than alliance progression?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other option
    I am in favor of a mix, to be clear. Typical release rate of 4’s and 5’s has been 4/4/5, every two weeks.

Okoye was early in this schedule.  

Over the past 4 months / 8 weeks we have had 6 4*s, including Iron Spider.  Out of that group we had two boss event releases, Jubilee and now IS.  I’m assuming boss release isn’t the new normal, but it may be every other 4*.
  • The rockett
    edited June 2018
    veny said:
    veny said:
    KGB said:

KGB
    But to say “it would be perfect” isn’t correct either. The game for some people is a competition to be the best and beat the best.  If everybody gets the same rewards if you finish the boss event in the first 24 hours like some did or until last minute, it kills that for a lot of people.  Then everybody is a winner no matter how much time, money or energy you have invested in your roster.  
    Duuude, there are tons of PvE and PvP (especially PvP) events, where you can show your skill, efforts, or fatness of your wallet. Not everyone is enjoying this "competition" you talk about, or they simply dont have enough resouces to compete. I am sure elite players from this system where everyone is basically below them without a real chance to catch up. But come on, dont tell me one single event per 4 weeks (thats the rate of releasing 4* characters, right?) would completely annihilate the "competition" thingy in this game.
    @veny The answer is “I would like to have ALL future characters being introduced in Allaince events”. To that I say No. I never said a mix up isn’t good.  I am answering the question as proposed, nothing more.  A full swing to Boss only Ally based events for all new releases would not be good to the top end players.  For the casual, sure. It would be great.  Again, just answering the question as asked. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let's see, regular Pve for release is better for ~1% of players. Boss for release is better for almost everyone else. I'm gonna go with the greater good here. 1-percenters should be able to deal with two events every six weeks not being their preferred format
  • The rockett
    Let's see, regular Pve for release is better for ~1% of players. Boss for release is better for almost everyone else. I'm gonna go with the greater good here. 1-percenters should be able to deal with two events every six weeks not being their preferred format
    As a person that is in the “1%of players” and active on the forums, I have no problem at all with the current format of releasing some of the 4* in a boss event. This in fact helps out our 2 ally’s a lot. Again, as the question is asked about moving all new releases to a Boss style format I would be against.  If they would like to keep the current format, I am all in for it.  No issue at all with me, but of course others can speak for themselves.  I just don’t like the idea of moving all new releases to this style of format is all. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other option
    The Alliance Event method is good for getting a guaranteed cover of a character that’s going to be required. On the other hand, being in a top 100 Story alliance and regularly making top 10 on releases means fewer covers for me. Changing it up like they have, using placement for one release and alliance progress for another, is good. Following with DPVSMPQ is not, especially with it meaning not just fewer resources, but fewer tokens as well for the vault, meaning fewer pulls offered.
    Additionally, this still slaps the Versus alliances. Versus should have been treated like the alternate release long ago, increasing the new character gained to top 50/top 100 instead of top 5/top 10 and adding the character as the alliance reward. 
  • Galathan
    Galathan Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    I would rather have alliance events for 5* releases, and regular PVE for the 4* ones, alliance events for every release would get boring really soon. 
  • Qubort
    Qubort Posts: 203 Tile Toppler

Boss events on occasion is fine, but not all of them. Too many boss events is not a good thing. Besides losing out on covers and other resources, the event is completed under 24hrs and then 2 days of just getting 500 iso a node. I realize some people don't like the grind, but I do. I play the game because I enjoy playing it. Boss events drastically cut down on the amount of time to play. Boss events for some is great for change of pace, but not every release.

• The rockett
    Another new release and another boss event.  Wonder if the next release in 2 weeks will another boss event. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another new release and another boss event.  Wonder if the next release in 2 weeks will another boss event. 
    I sure hope so!  Keep the party going!

I do hope that in the near future (maybe this event) they improve rewards and/or add SCLs into the mix. 
  • The rockett
    edited June 2018
    broll said:
    I sure hope so!  Keep the party going!

I do hope that in the near future (maybe this event) they improve rewards and/or add SCLs into the mix. 
    I know and get this helps out a lot of people get more covers.   I get that totally. With the bosses event verses a pve there is a loss of 2 covers if you are a top 1-2 player and 1 cover if you are a top 10 player.  Add this to token dilution and the “With Friends” vault instead a standard packs this is now taking longer to cover these new chars. You were able to have a champed new 4* for there PVP went it started.  Now this is very hard to do or cost a lot of HP/money to make happen.  
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    As I've said in numerous posts, I can no longer justify sitting down for hours playing repetitive pve.
    Spare me another round of dark avengers.  :-1:
    If new characters aren't introduced during team events then I will fall further behind as after two years plus of never ending grinding. Alliance events and Deadpool daily is all I can stomach.

• Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    Wow, the community has spoken. Overwhelming numbers voting for new characters to be introduced during alliance events.

Will the preferred choice of the people be put into practice?
    I won't hold my breath while waiting.

BTW,  where is everyone?
    I've never known the forum have such low numbers communicating. Surely not everyone has gone to Strike force? :+1:  :D:D
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    I love this trend (of the past 3 character releases) being boss events!

I play scl9, slice 4 - which for me starts at 9PM.

So that means every day (save 48hr subs), I and "occupied" from about 8:25PM until almost 10PM.

With boss events, I just have to get my 6 or 8 fights done "sometime" in an 8 hour window.. three times a day.  The scaling of the sub-nodes does push me a bit to try and be efficient - clearing "optimally" early on to take advantage of the easy subs, but I know that I can catch up easily to complete my personal progression..

In "traditional" PvE, that is impossible.  All it takes is one mistake, a single mis-timed clear, a single node over-cleared in the entire run to cause me to lose out on 3 covers (all I really strive for... full coverage of the three powers). Unfortunately, PvE is far more "player versus" that the "versus" mode!  You HAVE TO be better, faster, more efficient than your competition.

FOr some, like my commander @The rockett, they are very, VERY good at constantly placing top in the story.  I find it almost unbearable to focus that long on this little digital pastime.

I relish the Boss events, and welcome this change if - as the voting suggests - the change is made permanent.