DOM Balancing Ideas

Options

Comments

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
       Traxos could also slightly buff itself at the end of each turn during which he didn't attack. Something like "at the end of turn, if traxos didn't attack this turn, he gets +3/+3". And he should definitely consider itself as historic so he can attack when reinforced.
  • Gun Bunny
    Gun Bunny Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    khurram said:
    Gun Bunny said:
    Traxos needs one, maybe two or even three icon abilities to make him playable.

-Trample (which he has in paper)
    -Menace (my first preference)
    -Haste
    -Deathtouch

Otherwise you measure him against other similarly costed/statted cards and he falls woefully short.

Gisela, the Broken Blade is a mythic with the same stats and cost, with zero downside, three icon abilities and meld.

Metalwork Colossus costs 2 more, but is a 12/12 defender with a resurrection clause attached.

Akoum Hellkite is a rare, 6/6 flier for 12, with an easily triggered, powerful ability.

I could go on, but we get the point.
    Those are also legacy, which is a separate format. Power levels aren't comparable with standard.

Not to say that Traxos doesn't suck indeed.
    Closest thing to compare to in standard would be Outland Colossus at 15 for a 6/6 with renown 6.

And the Kaladeshi Colossus *was* in the standard of its day.

Point is that I would play nearly any other 12 mana creature in the game before I played Traxos. Even if it gets trample (it should) and another ability on top of it (needs either an icon or 'destroy a support your opponent controls) to reward you for turning it on, otherwise it's potentially very dead weight.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Edit:  *added phyrexian scriptures change*
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    khurram said:
    Gun Bunny said:

-Haste
    -Deathtouch

Otherwise you measure him against other similarly costed/statted cards and he falls woefully short.

Gisela, the Broken Blade is a mythic with the same stats and cost, with zero downside, three icon abilities and meld.

Metalwork Colossus costs 2 more, but is a 12/12 defender with a resurrection clause attached.

Akoum Hellkite is a rare, 6/6 flier for 12, with an easily triggered, powerful ability.

Those are also legacy, which is a separate format. Power levels aren't comparable with standard.

Not to say that Traxos doesn't suck indeed.
    I mean...I get what you're saying...but you could just as easily match him up with standard cards like Captivating Crew, Tillani's Skinshifter, Etali, etc that only a few mana more in standard and are still insanely better than Traxos.
  • knifelheim
    knifelheim Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My suggestion for Haphazard Bombardment would be to rework it as follows:
    "At the beginning of your turn, destroy a 3x3 block of gems. If a support is destroyed this way, repeat this effect."

This way it has an interesting chaining effect with token supports and can actually be useful in popping activated gems or starting cascades, but you still run the risk of destroying your own supports or itself.

Also, I would probably recommend dropping the mana cost down to around 12.

• Mburn7
    Options
    "At the beginning of your turn, destroy a 3x3 block of gems. If a support is destroyed this way, repeat this effect."

This way it has an interesting chaining effect with token supports and can actually be useful in popping activated gems or starting cascades, but you still run the risk of destroying your own supports or itself.

Interesting idea, but it seems a bit complex to get put in properly.  Also, the paper version just destroys a random card (out of 4 you select when its played) until there is only 1 left.  I assume they need to keep it somewhat close to that.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gun Bunny said:

-Haste
    -Deathtouch

comparing Traxos to other cards in the game, and to the paper card (the paper card is a 7/7 trample for 4 mana) it's my opinion that all the puzzle quest version really needs is to have its cost reduced. Right now as an 8/8 for 12 mana does make it one of the lowest costed creatures for that power in the game, but as was mentioned here Gisela is 100% better than Traxos.

I think a good point of comparison would be Goldnight Castigator with is an 8/16 (but it takes double damage, so effectively an 8/8) for 8 mana. It also has the downside of making you take double damage, so costing Traxos with it's conditions for its power at 8 mana seems like he would be more playable. And if it doesn't work with that adjustment, I would suggest even slightly lower casting cost.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I really really like this idea. very innovative
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Zhalfirin Void should cost 6-8 mana. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Zhalfirin Void should cost 6-8 mana. 
    I think that's a bit excessive.  I'm not fully on board with special lands being 1-drops.  If it was just gain 2 mana then I'd definitely agree, but the extra ability bumps up the cost.  
  • Blazer
    Blazer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Well if you don't want one turn drops then Koth gets 12 on red so make it cost 13...oh wait, seriously though I think 9 or 10 would be the sweet spot for a two turn cast.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Blazer said:
    Well if you don't want one turn drops then Koth gets 12 on red so make it cost 13...oh wait, seriously though I think 9 or 10 would be the sweet spot for a two turn cast.
    Ok, fair enough.  I always forget the nuttiness that is Koth (and Elspeth).  Yeah, I think a 10 cost is reasonable (I think that's what I put in my post).  I don't think a  6 cost is.
  • Mburn7
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Updated with Elvish Piper idea
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Update:  Added possible (minor) nerfs to Slimefoot and Darigaaz
  • Bil
    Options
       Multani needs a buff that would help him to last longer than one turn on the field. A bonus when a land support enters the board would be logical.
       A +3/+3 until the start of your next turn when a land enters the field could give sense to the reach while avoiding the powercreep on the long term.
       Another option (already mentionned before) is to get rid of the reach. 
       Sure thing is the card will never see some play if it remains as it is now.
  • ninjark
    ninjark Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    Akroma, Angel of Fury
    In paper, only power is temporarily boosted and I don't feel that +1 in power for a turn (or +2 once in a while) in MTG:PQ has much if any impact.  

I'd like to see the activated gems give a more meaningful +3/+0 until end of turn.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    ninjark said:
    Akroma, Angel of Fury
    In paper, only power is temporarily boosted and I don't feel that +1 in power for a turn (or +2 once in a while) in MTG:PQ has much if any impact.  

I'd like to see the activated gems give a more meaningful +3/+0 until end of turn.
    I dunno, I think an 8/8 is beefy enough already, and the toughness buff helps deal with defenders/berzerker damage.

+3/+0 twice feels like a bit much, especially with the Skinshifter lurking and the possible hexproof
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    ninjark said:
    Akroma, Angel of Fury

I dunno, I think an 8/8 is beefy enough already, and the toughness buff helps deal with defenders/berzerker damage.

+3/+0 twice feels like a bit much, especially with the Skinshifter lurking and the possible hexproof
    So have you only been editing your OP to contain comments that you agree with? You give the impression that you are consolidating comments into that post but it seems like only your comments are consolidated. I assumed this was meant to be what everyone thought.

As for Akroma, she's kind of a joke of an MP. She would probably be a decent mythic but for the most part she is a flying 9/9 (when attacking, since you can typically hit one activate on your turn) for 17 mana. The mana drained or raised clause is almost completely irrelevant. The temporary hexproof is very temporary since most players actively remove their opponents creatures. The only way to keep her hexproof is to keep yourself taking damage. Her paper version is just infinitely better than this one. I think +3/+0 would be a good buff but still not enough to make her equivalent to her paper version.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Mburn7 said:
    ninjark said:
    Akroma, Angel of Fury

So have you only been editing your OP to contain comments that you agree with? You give the impression that you are consolidating comments into that post but it seems like only your comments are consolidated. I assumed this was meant to be what everyone thought.

As for Akroma, she's kind of a joke of an MP. She would probably be a decent mythic but for the most part she is a flying 9/9 (when attacking, since you can typically hit one activate on your turn) for 17 mana. The mana drained or raised clause is almost completely irrelevant. The temporary hexproof is very temporary since most players actively remove their opponents creatures. The only way to keep her hexproof is to keep yourself taking damage. Her paper version is just infinitely better than this one. I think +3/+0 would be a good buff but still not enough to make her equivalent to her paper version.
    I am consolidating comments from everyone, not just me (although due to a lack of commenting it is mostly me), but usually wait for a bit of a consensus on a change.  This is the only comment on Akroma I've seen, and I don't totally agree with it.  I think making the hexproof permanent instead of situational would be a much better fix, if slightly less aligned with the paper version.

If anyone else has Akroma ideas (or any other rare+ card), or if you just agree with something said here or on another thread please say something so I know its a widespread issue.
  • Bil
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Mburn7 said:
    ninjark said:
    Akroma, Angel of Fury

For 17 mana, she's already a solid creature. I can understand that a +1/+1 doesnt look too useful but i think a +3/+3 instead would be too much. Its not too difficult to activate 2 or 3 gems among the 4 if you build a bit around it. A +2/+2 would be the compromise ... Maybe?
     As a sidenote, If we are really talking about making her close to the paper version, then her mana cost should be raised too (she's an 8 mana creature in paper .... Much harder to gather than the 17 mana of the PQ version ... ). To compare, Gaea's revenge is 7 mana in paper and costs 23 mana in PQ.