DOM Balancing Ideas

Options

Comments

• Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    really like your Lich's Mastery and Squee suggestion!

Traxos: "if you pull him you can submit a ticket where we will refund you your 400 crystals plus a personal apology for including a mythic in your elite packs that's utterly worthless."

Make him a 12/12 for 12 mana with the conditional attack abilities.  I'd still never use him, but I'd feel less like I wasted a couple hours of my life grinding crystals for trash.

sorry, the more I think about the existence of that card in an elite pack (at probably a considerably higher percentage to pull than the other mythics) the saltier it makes me.
    Agree 100%
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn, could you look at my recent post on the Gilded Lotus thread.. I think it gets the card to where we would like to see it.  Thanks!
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    babar3355 said:
    Mburn, could you look at my recent post on the Gilded Lotus thread.. I think it gets the card to where we would like to see it.  Thanks!
    I think that idea is interesting, but very complicated to implement.  It would have an odd interaction with Karn, Navigator's Compass, Marwyn...ect.  

I will include, though, because it is an interesting idea for a different kind of fix.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    khurram said:
    Mox Amber is either not working right or it just sucks. Either way, it should cost 10 Mana.

I have no problems with Mox. But there are these building points that I have noticed about it.:

--- Do not use for rapid large creature deployments (Ghalta, Deploy, HUF combos related to creature casting etc) The type of build associated to such builds cannot support Mox. The temptation is there but it simply does not work

--- Do use mass token generator or combo Nyx with flip supports from IXN and RIX. The latter combo creates multiple copies and reinforces every turn. Treasures help for standard. Edit: originally had said Clues also support but I was incorrect

--- Do build for extra draw else the whole point of building for a heavy mana influx is null and void.

--- Do not think of this card as a way to increase your mana by just "adding it in" like one would with Nissa's Pilgrimage. This card is far more complex than that and with greater gains. This is a guaranteed fail if applied to any build in this manner.

--- Do avoid falling into the Historic card trap. I see a lot of TG builds in which players are trying to trigger Mox via reinforcing Historic creature cards alone. The cost of many of these cards are far too expensive to generate the effect one seeks with Mox. Although ….Combining these with token generators works very well as Mox will cast these out quickly with the additional mana.

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    So with @bken1234's thread on under-powered cards and the usual grumbling about over-powered cards, I figured it would be nice to have a consolidated thread to discuss how to balance them out to make everyone happy (or happier, at least).

Elvish Piper needs to be massively fixed and then have its cost dropped to at least 10.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:
    So with @bken1234's thread on under-powered cards and the usual grumbling about over-powered cards, I figured it would be nice to have a consolidated thread to discuss how to balance them out to make everyone happy (or happier, at least).

Elvish Piper needs to be massively fixed and then have its cost dropped to at least 10.
    Yes, Elvish Piper does not work.  But since it does not work, how can we judge how good it is?  I'm holding off judgement on it until it is actually useable.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Just bumping the thread to make sure @Brigby sees it.  Also removing the Lotus (since they changed it exactly like I suggested)
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:

Yes, Elvish Piper does not work.  But since it does not work, how can we judge how good it is?  I'm holding off judgement on it until it is actually useable.
    I played it on release night with a lot of gem poppers. I triggered it a ton despite having only one activated gem, dropping things like Heart of Kiran and Hangarback Walker.

It was unimpressive not because of the difficulty in popping its one gem. It was unimpressive because I didn’t need much more mana to just cast those cards directly with the ramp spells and avoid the hassle of hoping Piper would even last a turn. 

Yes, we can wait for them to fix the myriad bugs, but I have a strong feeling it’s not going to change the fundamental problem that its cost gives it a super narrow band of targets. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:

I played it on release night with a lot of gem poppers. I triggered it a ton despite having only one activated gem, dropping things like Heart of Kiran and Hangarback Walker.

It was unimpressive not because of the difficulty in popping its one gem. It was unimpressive because I didn’t need much more mana to just cast those cards directly with the ramp spells and avoid the hassle of hoping Piper would even last a turn. 

Yes, we can wait for them to fix the myriad bugs, but I have a strong feeling it’s not going to change the fundamental problem that its cost gives it a super narrow band of targets. 
    Fair point, but I think of it as a way to drop my big creatures without focusing on them.  I always have the dilemma of playing a creature or saving up a removal "just in case."  The piper would allow me to charge removals while still spamming creatures.  I think once she works properly she'll be a nice addition to certain decks.  Obviously not all of them, but the masterpieces seem to be designed to be more niche powerful than overwhelmingly powerful after the Omni debacle.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Masterpieces are pretty gimmicky, too expensive or hard to build around. Conflux would be good with HUF with Karn . The other cards could have their mana cost reduced at least by 2. The Mythics really shine in DOM . Bombardment could have a(haphazard) random 3x3 block each turn , but not be destroyed. Traxos needs a passive buff. 1x1 for every time it doesn't attack , deals 2 dmg to every creature when attacking, disable 1st creature until the beginning of your turn or give him the enrage ability. Actually anything would improve this guy. You could micromanage the other cards , but they are pretty good in their own way. Torgaar is an interesting as big cannon shot when he comes out. Thopters , Vamps, Sparolings tokens are your cannonballs.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    *edited with alternate idea for Pernicious Deeed*
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
      Phyrexian scriptures would also benefit from an adjustment ... As it is now it is almost useless and extremely overcosted as it generally kills nothing.

The second chapter should destroy creatures that aren't artefact AND buffed instead of the current version that destroys creatures that aren't artifact OR buffed.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That might be a bit too hard to go up against, but making it kill all non-artifact creatures (what it does in paper) would be good.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what the issue is.  Unless you're playing merfolk, how often are all your creatures buffed at any given time?  I'll agree I don't get why they put it in, but it doesn't seem like a huge limitation.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
       It is a huge limitation, there are truly a lot of situations that ruin the card effect. For example, the card is almost useless against nahiri or any walker thay can buff creatures (and they are many). Besides, a creature that would give a +1/+1 to other creatures while on board also makes it useless, or any creature that selfbuffs(explore/tishana/etc...). Can't remember for sure but i think the supports bonus to creatures also worked as buffs when i tried it.
  • Gun Bunny
    Gun Bunny Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Traxos needs one, maybe two or even three icon abilities to make him playable.

-Trample (which he has in paper)
    -Menace (my first preference)
    -Haste
    -Deathtouch

Otherwise you measure him against other similarly costed/statted cards and he falls woefully short.

Gisela, the Broken Blade is a mythic with the same stats and cost, with zero downside, three icon abilities and meld.

Metalwork Colossus costs 2 more, but is a 12/12 defender with a resurrection clause attached.

Akoum Hellkite is a rare, 6/6 flier for 12, with an easily triggered, powerful ability.

I could go on, but we get the point.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gun Bunny said:
    Traxos needs one, maybe two or even three icon abilities to make him playable.

-Trample (which he has in paper)
    -Menace (my first preference)
    -Haste
    -Deathtouch

Otherwise you measure him against other similarly costed/statted cards and he falls woefully short.

Gisela, the Broken Blade is a mythic with the same stats and cost, with zero downside, three icon abilities and meld.

Metalwork Colossus costs 2 more, but is a 12/12 defender with a resurrection clause attached.

Akoum Hellkite is a rare, 6/6 flier for 12, with an easily triggered, powerful ability.

I could go on, but we get the point.
    Those are also legacy, which is a separate format. Power levels aren't comparable with standard.

Not to say that Traxos doesn't suck indeed.