Elvish Piper: Bugged [Investigating]

Options
Coilbox
Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
I was very happy when i pulled her, but she’s bugged... when i pop the activated gem, she comes back to my hand and... nothing happens, no creature in my hand gets any mana at all... tried her on a few different decks and it wont do anything other than coming back to hand.

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Apparently the back to the hand/no mana thing happens when your hand is full.  But I’m only repeating rumors.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That’s disappointing. I also pulled her and I’m excited to tinker with her. Ok, so let’s see how that goes....
  • ayuready7
    ayuready7 Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I also tried it, I think it’ a bug.It only works when the first card in my hand is a creature,if the first card is a spell or support card,it do nothing.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby heads up. (I think this discussion belongs in bugs however).
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    waits for bken1234 to jump in and use mod voice to relocate this to bug
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Here are the things I've found from just a night of toying around with Piper:
    • It only activates one gem - not two
    • It only gives full mana to the first creature in your hand if that creature is in the first card slot in your hand
    • If your hand is full and you activate Piper, it will be destroyed - not returned to your hand
    • If there is no creature in your hand and you activate Piper, it is still returned to your hand
    Also, the 12 mana CC for it is a little high for the effect. It should probably be closer to 10 mana to make it more useful.

Piper After She's First Cast (Shown Disabled)

Next Turn, Showing Only One Activated Gem
    I picked this specific sequence because it guarantees Greg did not destroy one of Piper's gems on his turn

Hand Before Triggering Activated Gem
    Note that the Piper in hand is the first creature that should receive mana when the Piper in the field is triggered

Post-Gem Trigger Showing In-Hand Piper Having Received No Mana

• jtwood
    Options
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    this artwork for piper is far more accurate.  While we are also talking about changing the art-zoom, we should consider adding this artwork instead ;)

httpsimg00deviantartnet4f86i201334978elvish_piper_card_by_xblitzcraigx-d6y4b7cjpg
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    [MOD NOTE] Moved to Bugs and Technical Issues [//MOD NOTE]
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    waits for bken1234 to jump in and use mod voice to relocate this to bug
    bken1234 said:
    [MOD NOTE] Moved to Bugs and Technical Issues [//MOD NOTE]
    I should tell fortunes ;)
  • jtwood
    Options
    Bumping this back to the first page because this masterpiece is a wreck :blush:
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I got Elvish Piper to but haven’t used her yet now I can’t till she’s fixed
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I happily got an Elvish Piper as well and am dissapointed it doesn't work. The idea of a Masterpiece is it is valuable and it works flawlessly. Just food for thought.
  • jtwood
    Options
    @Brigby is there any indication that this card will get fixed?
  • jtwood
    Options
    This thread is a sad thread.
  • jtwood
    Options
    Yo, I think she was fixed. She activates two now. Still testing for other scenarios.
  • jtwood
    Options
    From my original list:
    • It only activates one gem - not two fixed
    • It only gives full mana to the first creature in your hand if that creature is in the first card slot in your hand fixed
    • If your hand is full and you activate Piper, it will be destroyed - not returned to your hand same
    • If there is no creature in your hand and you activate Piper, it is still returned to your hand same
    Maybe just consider the latter notes to be occupational hazards of playing her.

I've had her in a Kiora build with Ghalta and Djinn of Whishes. It's pretty gross and actually feels like her cost is worth it when you're hitting fatties like those two.

• jtwood
    Options
    Update #3 to “changed”. Looks like it doesn’t do anything if your hand is full. 
  • jtwood
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Brigby I’m having instances where I match Piper’s gem while also having a creature to cast from my hand, but nothing happens. The activation never occurs. It’s been tough to replicate. Seems intermittent. But it’s happened to me twice this morning now. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    jtwood said:
    Brigby I’m having instances where I match Piper’s gem while also having a creature to cast from my hand, but nothing happens. The activation never occurs. It’s been tough to replicate. Seems intermittent. But it’s happened to me twice this morning now. 
    Hmm interesting. When you say "a creature to cast," are you saying that the creature in your hand already has full mana?

I wonder if Elvish Piper's current behavior is that it only returns to hand if there is a creature eligible to receive mana. Whether that's appropriate behavior or not though is up the designers.