Underrated/Overrated

eddidit
eddidit Posts: 86 Match Maker
Don't know if this has been done but curious to hear what others think who is underrated and who is overrated. 

Comments

• mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    I'd say Peggy and Nova are two 4* characters that are a bit overrated. Their very high rankings amongst players used to be right on the money, I just think the game has moved past them both a bit — still really good-to-great characters, but I rarely use them when they're not boosted. If Peggy were released today, her blue would fortify her countdowns at 5 covers and her red might cost 1 or 2 AP less. If Nova were released today, his damage levels would be boosted a bit higher, and instead of Danger Zone dealing outright damage it might just convert black strike tiles to critical tiles.

As for underrated, 4* Star-Lord and Moon Knight. Star-Lord is excellent in PvE, his red can be a solid nuke, he can overwrite tiles (countdowns included), and he's the best Guardian to pair with Rocket & Groot in PvE for quick, easy clears of lower-level enemies. Moon Knight I mostly just use boosted and I only champed him recently, but he has a black mini-nuke with a true heal attached to it ideal for finishing off enemies or one-hitting some goons, and when boosted his green can deal ~$25K to a random enemy (which is of course not random when you only have one enemy left.)
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2018
    Sandman/Peggy
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
     If Peggy were released today, her blue would fortify her countdowns at 5 covers and her red might cost 1 or 2 AP less.
    Her blue doesn't need fortification. You don't use it until you can down 1 enemy and the other two are stun-locked until the countdowns are resolved, giving you full control of the board and the best pure damage output of any unboosted 4-star. Her red is priced in line with other 4-stars and people often forget it ignores protect tiles. Her yellow passive can slow enemies to a crawl. Peggy is still a top 5 character at her tier and with a feeder like IM40 or Vulture she is a premier offensive weapon. When she's boosted, Peggy is absolutely menacing.

If anything, by the way people call her a 'relic', I'd say she's under-rated.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    still really good-to-great characters, but I rarely use them when they're not boosted.

I mean, who do you actually use unboosted? Maybe I'm weird but when I was in the 4* tier, I pretty much always used boosted characters, even if I didn't particularly like the list that week. In fact, the two you listed - Nova and Peggy - are two of the very few I very occasionally used unboosted.

As for the original topic:

Overrated: Medusa. Yes, she's very good, but she needs mega tile spam to be really effective, otherwise she's basically just 3* Iron Fist with more health.

Underrated: 4* Punisher. He got a very brief moment in the sun but seems to have been largely forgotten. I mostly attribute this to the fact that for like a year, he was always boosted at the same time as Iceman, so he never saw any play. He's a monster though - that green-into-black combo is barbaric if there are two opponents standing. And boosting strikes is always a plus.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Overrated:
    X-23 I don't know if people are still high on her or if everyone has come around to what a terrible character she is. Her purple is impossible to pull off, her green is underwhelming and goofy, and its too hard to get her tanking her colors in order for her passive healing to be of any use.
    MEHulk He's okay, but his powers are as liable to hurt you as help you.
    Thanos Yeah, Court Death is good for clearing out weak seed-like teams, but after that I'm switching to someone more useful.

Underrated:
    Mr. F This guy is one of my favorite supports at the 4-star tier.
    Kate Bishop I don't know why she doesn't see wider use. Her damage output is incredible.
    Nick Fury Since his re-balance, he's a pretty effective dude.
    Ares The absolute best 2-star by a wide margin. Never gets no love.
    MaxPun I'm with Jarvind on this one. His black/Green combo is positively deadly.
  • RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Underrated, overrated...why isn’t anything just rated?

• mega ghost
    Dormammu said:
     If Peggy were released today, her blue would fortify her countdowns at 5 covers and her red might cost 1 or 2 AP less.
    Her blue doesn't need fortification. You don't use it until you can down 1 enemy and the other two are stun-locked until the countdowns are resolved, giving you full control of the board and the best pure damage output of any unboosted 4-star. Her red is priced in line with other 4-stars and people often forget it ignores protect tiles. Her yellow passive can slow enemies to a crawl. Peggy is still a top 5 character at her tier and with a feeder like IM40 or Vulture she is a premier offensive weapon. When she's boosted, Peggy is absolutely menacing.

If anything, by the way people call her a 'relic', I'd say she's under-rated.
    That's the strategy I aim for as well, but sometimes the game pushes your hand — maybe an enemy is about to fire a power, or a devastating countdown is about to go off, and you prioritize the stun over the ideal execution. Other times, cascades get out of hand and you lose one or two countdowns unintentionally. In any case, the fortification isn't by any means a necessity, I just imagine it would have been included if she were released today.

And don't get me wrong, I think she's great! I've actually never seen her called a relic before, I've often just seen her referred to as the best 4* character in the game, which I think is an overstatement.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2018
    Overrated:
    Carol 4*
    Definitely one of the best characters, but easy to hit on PvP, lower end of HP and not very fast on PvE unless running with C&D or 3Fist

Underrated:
    Miles Morales Invisibility in two matches, as cheap as it gets
    Kraven Definitely not good, but can be very effective against drones, Wakanda special tiles
    Mordo/Agent Venom Some of the best TUs in the game
  • mega ghost
    Jarvind said:
    still really good-to-great characters, but I rarely use them when they're not boosted.

I mean, who do you actually use unboosted? Maybe I'm weird but when I was in the 4* tier, I pretty much always used boosted characters, even if I didn't particularly like the list that week. In fact, the two you listed - Nova and Peggy - are two of the very few I very occasionally used unboosted.

In PvE, there are a lot of characters I'll use unboosted, including 4* Star-Lord and 4* Rocket & Groot, Vulture (as a battery and/or to clear goon special tiles and countdowns), Carol, Medusa, Riri, Iceman, and America Chavez. In PvP the list is a bit shorter, and it will depend on synergy with the boosted characters. Vulture is the only constant there, and almost always as a battery. Peggy I find too slow to bring in unboosted, and I rarely want to use her without a battery. 
  • mega ghost
    Dormammu said:

Underrated:
    Kate Bishop I don't know why she doesn't see wider use. Her damage output is incredible.
    MaxPun I'm with Jarvind on this one. His black/Green combo is positively deadly.
    I'm often alarmed by the lack of Kate Bishops out there. I'd use her often if I had her fully covered. She's one of my white whales, for the longest I could only pull blue covers. Then I could only pull black covers. I didn't get my first purple covers until recently, and she's sitting at 5/5/2. I've easily sold 10-15 of her covers to date.

And I agree, Ares is a one-man army. Back before I had a 2* farm going, I'd sold all of my 2* characters except Ares as he could handle all of the DDQ 2* nodes alone.
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Agent Venom and Drax are both criminally underrated. Drax + Wasp especially is a killer combo
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    As for underrated, 4* Star-Lord and Moon Knight. Star-Lord is excellent in PvE, his red can be a solid nuke, he can overwrite tiles (countdowns included), and he's the best Guardian to pair with Rocket & Groot in PvE for quick, easy clears of lower-level enemies. 
    I always seem to run R4G with Gamora (alongside 3* Strange for clearing out goons), but I'll definitely try Star-Lord instead to see how they work in a team.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Underrated is 4* Iron Fist - self fuels and his two damage powers hit hard and has a special bonus if used with C4ge.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I have only Eleven 4*'s Champed. Which are Vulture, Rogue, Mockingbird, Nightcrawler, Yondu, Gamora, Coulson, Iron Fist, Deadpool, Sandman, And Nick Fury. So I can only talk about these 4*'s. Overrated: Deadpool. He is only good to counteract the Gamora, Medusa, GRocket teams that is the 4* meta at the moment. After this his Red is too expensive and his Pink does little damage. His black is only useful in that situation and only if the AI does not match too many of GRocket's Strike tiles. Underrated: 4* Iron Fist. His Black is really strong boosted and even non-boosted. His Green is ok, but it feeds the black for a 1-2 punch. From my 4*'s that are champed I use Vulture and Rogue regardless they are boosted or not. They are really good 4*'s in my opinion.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I agree that Mr Fantastic is underrated. I rate characters on how I do against them, and Mr Fantastic teams have surprised me more than any other. I get caught in heal/nuke loops with him that I only escape with death. 
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Underrated: 2* Hawkeye
    With Magneto that Speed Shot is a sure thing!

Overrated: Vulture
    He's good, but he's just so slow.  Takes 2 turns to get him in the air, then your team is waiting and taking damage while he generates AP for them.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Overrated:
    X-23 I don't know if people are still high on her or if everyone has come around to what a terrible character she is. Her purple is impossible to pull off, her green is underwhelming and goofy, and its too hard to get her tanking her colors in order for her passive healing to be of any use.
    MEHulk He's okay, but his powers are as liable to hurt you as help you.
    Thanos Yeah, Court Death is good for clearing out weak seed-like teams, but after that I'm switching to someone more useful.

Underrated:
    X-23: fairly sure everyone is aware these days of how clunky her mechanics work, she's in need of a redesign on her green for sure.

Kate Bishop: I like Kate, she's great, she hits hard and they gave her pretty good art. Main issues though, her blue is very expensive (doesnt feel worth it unless its at 5 covers), black has the annoying self-hurt after a few turns but hits like a truck, purple makes you choose between the strikes and the damage.

She has great powers but several downsides, I think it's why she's not as popular.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Agent Venom and Drax are both criminally underrated. Drax + Wasp especially is a killer combo
    Add Cho as a third to that team and it is fantastic. All 3 were boosted about a month ago and everything was dying so fast.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Just 4*:

Underrated- Vulture, Shuri, Star-Lord, Iron Fist, Mordo, Carnage, Agent Venom, Nick Fury, Mr. Fantastic, Sandman, Kraven. 

Overrated- Carol, Peggy Carter, Red Hulk, Black Panther, Punisher, Deadpool, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Jubilee (seriously she’s trash (I have her champed/boosted) and I’ve heard zero backlash in the way we had almost immediately for Sandman and Kraven).

I would argue Okoye is underrated as well. Rumors are she could be the next Gambit. Hoard now thank me later. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Underrated
    Elektra, Gwenpool, both Venoms, Prof X, Spidergwen, Miles, R&G

Overrated
    Cloak and Dagger, Mockingbird, R&G, Wasp

Elektra has an awkward purple, but her red is good. Self fueling and the trap tile isn't as hard to keep alive after her rework. Gwenpool has 2 strong powers, tho gimmicky are fairly reliable. Brock can make protects obsolete, and generates enemy tiles which is rare.

C&D is only good as a black battery for someone else. Mockingbird always loses too much health trying to let the enemy make match 4s. Wasp needs a partner to make strikes and then you only use yellow 10 ap at a time.

I think R&G is better than just the beginning strike tiles. Protect that blue repeater or green countdown and those are great powers too, but its too hard to give up the free strikes. Maybe paired with 4* Starlord and Widow, those powers get cheap enough to utilize