Did/Will you buy the SCL 9 bundle?

Comments

• RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    I bought the first few. Not the last one and not this one. Didn't even renew vip. Shifting towards Marvel Strike Force.

Edit: Honestly didn't even look at the bundle. Doubted I would be impressed after not caring much for the last one. I know Medusa is in it but mine is 330+ and my Black Bolt is champed so not much of a carrot there.

Edit2: Actually the only 4s I don't have champed are Jubilee (almost there) and Black Widow. And I don't have any classic 5s I'm dying for feeders for so I might not be the target for this bundle. I just don't see the value for me. And doubtful I'd be interested in a level 10 bundle. Supports certainly aren't going to sell me on it.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Dormammu said:
    Absolutely not. I had the following to say on the announcement thread:

mega ghost said:
    The price points on these are terrible. This is practically the cost of a new console game, and more expensive than most console games that have been out for over a year or so. Games that you'd own in their entirety upon purchase, whereas with this you gain access to an almost incomprehensibly minuscule sliver of the game's assets/currency and are still subject to RNG.

This should cost $5. Besides being a much more reasonable price point, I honestly believe you'd get more purchases (particularly from players less prone to spending), and since these bundles are one-time purchase only it's not as if they could be exploited.
    While I think your point is absolutely valid because I too think these bundles could be a bit more reasonable, I don't agree with the comparison to a full video game as fair. Mobile and free-to-play games have an entirely different precedent and need with their pricing structures. I have been playing MPQ for almost 5 years now, every day. I can't say that about any other game. With my favorite console/PC games (like Skyrim, for example) I count my play time in hours and MPQ eclipses that playtime by an absurdly wide margin. And while a game like Skyrim has sold millions of copies across multiple platforms and versions, with several paid expansions, MPQ's players number far less and only a fraction of those will pay any money to play. So while Skyrim can make its profit by setting a lower price point and selling to millions of people, MPQ has to use a higher price point because they are only selling to a few thousand.
    This is a completely fair distinction: most mobile games exist in a different ecosystem and they require continuous development and input, as by their very nature they are never finished. But by this logic, they also shouldn't expect to be able to monetize the same way console games do, and converting one single purchase into a series of many purchases isn't the way to go if you respect your players. Getting us to convert real currency into fake in-game currency to spend on layers of RNG, which then in turn doesn't pay off so we're now spending more real currency just to chase hopefully-in-our-favor-this-time-or-maybe-the-next digital rewards is essentially gambling. These microtransactions in mobile games, in general, are immoral. They rely on, encourage, and exploit the same bad habits and weaknesses one sees in addiction, and they capitalize on our inability to recognize this at first. And guess what, once we do recognize it, many of us keep going on account of the sunk cost fallacy. The rest of us go scorched-earth just to cut ourselves loose from its pull. This isn't healthy, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see laws passed about this sort of thing in coming years. Now, if MPQ moved to a more meaningful subscription-based model (which they already have the workings for with their very lackluster VIP), I'd be all for it. But until then, when I see microtransactions bloating and metastasizing into macrotransactions ($39.99!!!) I can't help but feel indignant.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was thinking about it...then realised those covers would give me a badly needed 11th Black Bolt cover.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 290 Mover and Shaker
    Actually looks like a good deal, but $40 is a lot.  Besides, I've already used up my $20/yr budget for this year....so much for being a free player...DAMN U DEMIURGE AND YOUR CRAZY ADDICTIVE GAME!!!!!
  • zeroswitch
    zeroswitch Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    If it was two 4*s I wanted, I probably would get it, but I really don't like Medusa or Carnage (carnage is annoying and medusa just grosses me out, bleh, too much hair is creepy), so I'll pass.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    I didn't do the Peggy special, but couldn't pass on this one.  As a newer player, can't ever have enough HP.  Ended up hitting 4*BP, 4*Quake with a bonus R4G.  CP gave me another classic pull which ended up being Vulture, giving me an unchamped Vulture at 5/3/5.  That moment alone felt like it was worth $40 :smiley:
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    I can't justify it since this would force me to champ both. I'm already scrambling for ISO to champ two other characters that I pulled 14th covers for when I cracked my hoard trying to get a LumberCap. Otherwise I'd be sorely tempted, because synergy and champs :(
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it was two 4*s I wanted, I probably would get it, but I really don't like Medusa or Carnage (carnage is annoying and medusa just grosses me out, bleh, too much hair is creepy), so I'll pass.
    You're missing out, I'm solidly in 5* play so my shield sim is always 3 champ 5s, yet at the beginning of the season I'll run Medusa, Carnage, Iceman against those 5* teams and win. The only team that it can't beat, at least not regularly, is Gambolt. Everything else folds pretty reliably to those 3 4*. Annoying, gross, and creepy but they beat 5*...... What more do you really need?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
    Medusa, Carnage, Iceman against those 5* teams and win. The only team that it can't beat, at least not regularly, is Gambolt.
    Grocket + Guardian will slaughter any team with Carnage on it in record time.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Milk Jugz said:
    Medusa, Carnage, Iceman against those 5* teams and win. The only team that it can't beat, at least not regularly, is Gambolt.
    Grocket + Guardian will slaughter any team with Carnage on it in record time.
    That sounds fun too, might try that next season. And, since we're talking about Carnage, anyone ever pair him with Kraven? That's a fun combo, Kraven will do damage every turn after the 2nd turn and reduce the enemy attacks to -1 each. Medusa seems the obvious choice for a 3rd to me.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    No.  I'm not buying a bundle targeted towards a 5* tier (especially one that costs more than $20) unless it involves guaranteed 5* covers.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Milk Jugz said:
    That sounds fun too, might try that next season. And, since we're talking about Carnage, anyone ever pair him with Kraven? That's a fun combo, Kraven will do damage every turn after the 2nd turn and reduce the enemy attacks to -1 each. Medusa seems the obvious choice for a 3rd to me.
    That *is* a nice idea!  I was teaming Medusa and Carnage with Lockjaw for a couple of rounds this morning and had lots of fun, but Kraven's a great idea, too.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    Wanted to buy it but don’t get paid until next week 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milk Jugz said:
     And, since we're talking about Carnage, anyone ever pair him with Kraven? That's a fun combo, Kraven will do damage every turn after the 2nd turn and reduce the enemy attacks to -1 each. Medusa seems the obvious choice for a 3rd to me.
    I've really gotta get Kraven covered and champed. I like Carnage teams. My Kraven is woefully under-covered as I've been hoarding since his release, but I'm hoping to get him covered when I pop the hoard for JJ/Okoye.

The Carnage/Medusa covers really made this an attractive bundle for me since I often climb in SHIELD Sim with the two of them plus Mr. F, who I think is a better buddy than even Iceman due to his passive healing. Him and Medusa basically make you immortal.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Nope. I like to support the game, but as long as I'm still getting bonus rewards from a previous payment, I feel it's too soon for me to spend again.

Plus... $AU56? That's pretty damn pricey, when I don't actually need any of the things in the bundle.
  • TheOne
    TheOne Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    I need to change my vote to yes.  I was able champ 2 4*,and roster 2 more I didn' have. One more 4* ready to champ, just waiting for a cover for level up incentive. This was my first HfH purchase. 
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Though this seems like a good deal, I just can't bring myself to give any more money to D3 - the lack of any fixes or QoL improvements, the fact that supports are just so meh, and the lack of Infinity War content means no more $$$ from me.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought about it, then realised I could buy 2 bottles of whisky from the staff shop for the price, so went to the staff shop. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not worth it for me. It's pretty expensive (€43,99 here), too.

Let's break it down:

64,000 ISO-8 <-- Just a small droplet.. To champ my Carnage I would need about 250K.
    1400 Red ISO <-- :joy:
    5,400 HP <-- Nah, still have 7K in the bank.
    15 CP <-- Nice but would probably be stockpiled for now
    2 LT <-- (same)
    1 Adv Support Token <-- :joy:
    6 Heroic Tokens <-- read '6 2*s' :grimace:
    6 Medusa covers <-- 6 champion levels, nice but I'll get there eventually.
    6 Carnage covers <-- at 2/5/5 and in ISO debt, that's a 'nope' 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

It's tempting for 6 levels each of Medusa and Carnage, but it's too much for me.  I spend too much on this game anyway, and probably will go down to $2 rather than VIP next time.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal, it's a very good deal considering what money gets you, but I'm a solid 5* player and it's not aimed at me - for me it's just more champ levels for two of my already very high 4*s...