Am I the only one about to get murdered by the Peggy Carter PVP?

NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2018 in MPQ General Discussion

Just throwing this out if anyone wants to commiserate (and to mock my comically incomplete roster and bad luck on weekly buffs)! I imagine many other players aren't in the same boat, though.

I have NO boosted 4* champs this week, and my Peggy Carter is 1/2/1. As much as I want the 900 point cover, it's basically a pipe dream this event, and even crawling to 575 points is going to be a pain in the doopah against armies of champed Peggy/Thoress/Moon Knight/Xavier/etc.

It's almost enough to make me want to blow my meager HP load to try and get Peggy from the Exiles vault and/or pay $20 for the covers for sale. ALMOST.

Comments

• AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    My Peggy is champed but the only other 4* I have that is champed and boosted is Quake but she is not invited to this party. Champed Mockingbird and MEH have been putting in good work, so I probably won't get murdered, just won't get as far as I'd like to. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    I was grinding real hard up to 575, but it's not been easy. I am in the same boat as @NotBAMF  having no boosted 4*s to speak of. My peggy is 4/1/3, and i just spent the 45k iso to level her to cap so she at least has okay health. I've been able to climb with 4ocket/Nico, Medusa/4ocket, Nico/Medusa - basically variations on teams that are doing auto damage escalating it. Hiding behind defense tiles has helped some, but if they manage to drop Nico then the team falls down pretty quick. It hasn't been a legendary defense squad either, so I think this one is going to be more trouble for me than most lol. Even my usual fallback of Vulture/G4mora suffers for having that AP tax.

My Shuri is 12 covers but un-leveled, but I was thinking she'd be good in here to reduce friendly ap and add a stacked tax over peggy. I'm not seeing any in here at all though, so either i'm the only one who thought of that, or people with champ shuri's have better options?

I'll have to try Mockingbird/MEH, I momentarily forgot I just champed them both a week or two ago lol.
  • NotBAMF
    edited May 2018
    What's the difference between this and any other 4* pvp? To an extent, any pvp, period? Some % of players won't have the character built, or even have them at all, and be taking the loaner for a spin.

Too bad they didn't think to buff IM40 for Peggy's 'special' event :D

Because in a regular PVP, I'd at least have a champed 3* to bring to neutralize everyone else's champed mandatory character (as would, I assume, every single other player in the 4* tier). Here, everyone is going to have champed flank 4*'s AND champed Peggy, and I'm going to be running an underpowered Peggy and two 270-280 power flanks.

Also, it's just a bad timing issue. What are the odds I'd be able to use three 4* characters and NONE of my options are champed? Not that likely.

It's a pretty big difference.

I was grinding real hard up to 575, but it's not been easy. I am in the same boat as @NotBAMF  having no boosted 4*s to speak of. My peggy is 4/1/3, and i just spent the 45k iso to level her to cap so she at least has okay health. I've been able to climb with 4ocket/Nico, Medusa/4ocket, Nico/Medusa - basically variations on teams that are doing auto damage escalating it. Hiding behind defense tiles has helped some, but if they manage to drop Nico then the team falls down pretty quick. It hasn't been a legendary defense squad either, so I think this one is going to be more trouble for me than most lol. Even my usual fallback of Vulture/G4mora suffers for having that AP tax.

My Shuri is 12 covers but un-leveled, but I was thinking she'd be good in here to reduce friendly ap and add a stacked tax over peggy. I'm not seeing any in here at all though, so either i'm the only one who thought of that, or people with champ shuri's have better options?

I'll have to try Mockingbird/MEH, I momentarily forgot I just champed them both a week or two ago lol.

Shuri, you say? I do have her champed... I might try it out in the early going and see if it helps. I figured I was stuck with Grocket/Gamora flanking my **** Peggy, but hey... anything that helps at this point!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    The difference here (for me) is that most of the 4* pvps feature a new release, and therefore there is some parity with all opponents. This one features a legit top-tier older 4* that a lot of folks appear to have at very high levels. The delta between a loaner 4* and a highly champed and boosted 4* is pretty extreme, particularly if you don't have any good boosted wingmen to pick up the slack. I was discussing with an alliance mate earlier if this difficulty is based off of it being specifically Peggy's pvp event, or if any PVP that featured a 4* who'd been around long enough to be champed would be like this. I'm not entirely sure. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited May 2018

Shuri, you say? I do have her champed... I might try it out in the early going and see if it helps. I figured I was stuck with Grocket/Gamora flanking my tinykitty Peggy, but hey... anything that helps at this point!

Let us know how that goes with Shuri; ideally somebody else who can fortify tiles for cheap/passively (is that goblin and haw5eye only?) would get that team moving; maybe C4ge or Hobofist? My C4ge isn't very good either or I'd attempt it. Either that, or somebody that can jumpstart red since Vibranium Virtuoso is as likely as not going to cost you 11ap
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're not going to see really high level Peggys unless you have 5* MMR, especially if you have no boosted 4s this week.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I’ve been seeing some already with 45k-50k hp that can 1-shot any single character I bring off their red, that’s high enough level when coupled with similarly boosted Lady Thor and Quake to make it a tough go for my roster.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:

Just throwing this out if anyone wants to commiserate (and to mock my comically incomplete roster and bad luck on weekly buffs)! I imagine many other players aren't in the same boat, though.

I have NO boosted 4* champs this week, and my Peggy Carter is 1/2/1. As much as I want the 900 point cover, it's basically a pipe dream this event, and even crawling to 575 points is going to be a pain in the doopah against armies of champed Peggy/Thoress/Moon Knight/Xavier/etc.

It's almost enough to make me want to blow my meager HP load to try and get Peggy from the Exiles vault and/or pay $20 for the covers for sale. ALMOST.

I could be wrong, but you shouldn't be running into triple champ boosted 4s when you don't even have one.  I don't think that's how MMR works.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I am absolutely seeing this. Thor/Peggy/quake is very common
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I have been calling out code 187 since I reached 400 points..  :s:s:s:s:s
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    For 5* players, everyone has a level 450+ Peggy with 50k+ health. My Peggy is level 476 with 68k health. And with Gambit’s abilities costing 4 more, it’s going to be a long, long grind indeed.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF said:

I could be wrong, but you shouldn't be running into triple champ boosted 4s when you don't even have one.  I don't think that's how MMR works.
    Well I am well into the 4* tier, I just don’t have any of the current 4* or Peggy. So I will see the buffed 4* players, yeah. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    OJSP said:
    I am absolutely seeing this. Thor/Peggy/quake is very common
    What’s your score? You mentioned 575 before. Did you start seeing them from 0?
    I got in early enough to get a few seed teams, and the first wave of real opponents were all like this. I saw a few 30k health, seemingly fully covered but unchamped 5*s matched up with Peggy and Lady Thor as well. Then after around 400, it kind of settled down, but if I hunt around I can queue up those killer teams still. I was up near 600 earlier but now I’m at 511. My retals are unchamped 5* teams like a lvl 390 panther/Star Lord combo, stuff like that. So it’s not what I’m seeing exclusively, but the 37+pt matches I find look like this.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel for you @NotBAMF I really do. That always seems to happen in events where you really want that 900 progression cover, doesn't it?

(Oh, hang on... I need to slaughter this 3-star team with my champed/boosted Peggy and Moon Knight. Thanks for all the red, blue, and green AP, IM40, that made things easy...)

Okay, sorry about that. So as I was saying, my heart goes out to you, man. Not having Peggy champed is a real bummer. She's like, my favorite 4-star. She's one of those 4-stars that makes you feel like your roster just got better rather than just bigger, after you champ her.

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way. (And seriously, it's just $20. Eat ramen for lunch this week. Peggy's worth it.)
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Daiches said:
    Now imagine having to win 40 matches.
    I'd still take that over the mess it is now. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell said:
    Daiches said:
    I'd still take that over the mess it is now. 
    No thanks.  With that brings so many more issues.  
  • NotBAMF
    edited May 2018
    Daiches said:
    Yeah, but I still vastly preferred that system. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    OJSP said:

That sounds about right for the MMR of someone without a championed Peggy and/or the boosted 4*s. If it’s early in the event, we break MMR faster, sometimes immediately after we clear the seed teams.

I wasn't meaning to indicate my MMR was somehow broken so much as a boosted Peggy is especially challenging to have as the featured character because of her AP tax. She makes equalizer characters with cheap stuns or AP gains, like Vulture/G4mora or even Spid3r-Man who is boosted right now, relatively ineffectual. 

My strategy of boosting specials with Nico is working so long as I'm able to deny red and get some shields out early. These teams have a lot of health to chew through so have extra expensive powers are what is making this PVP more challenging than a typical "no boosted 4*s this week" pvp.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    NotBAMF said:
    Daiches said:
    Yeah, but I still vastly preferred that system. 

Yupp a system where instead of looking for high-point targets, I looked for low-point 3* teams for the easy wins. Yet despite this strategy I still reached 900pts before I reached 40 wins.

Win-Based PVP was a good idea in theory but the execution was poor.. like Supports!