R152 Release Notes (5/7/18)

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    zulux21 said:
    "
    • The Support store and packs will remain visible, even if you do not have tokens to them."
    can we not?
    why would I want this.... why would I want to have to click through pages I can't do anything with?
    if I want support info I can go to the support page.
    :/
    Agreed. Right now they're like Standard and Elite tokens. You can't buy them, so the page should go away when you don't have any to reduce clutter.

If you want to make that page visible all the time, we need a reason, like an HP cost, or daily deals.

At best this is a **** move, cluttering up the store pages and slowing down our ability to navigate through them so you can advertise a feature that isn't fully implemented into the game enough for us to pursue in the first place. You literally can't write it off as an advertisement because Supports are not reasonably "for sale" yet.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    zulux21 said:
    "
    • The Support store and packs will remain visible, even if you do not have tokens to them."
    can we not?
    why would I want this.... why would I want to have to click through pages I can't do anything with?
    I completely agree. The disappearance of the page was a great feature and I see no reason for it to stay now unless they are going to allow people spend resources other than $s to get them. 
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Bring the previous Steam UI back even if you have to remove the Supports "feature" from our platform.

Thanks and much love.
  • djrdjr
    djrdjr Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    And what in the world would we use underwires for if not for those types of supports????  She supports are a wonderful thing!!!
    Lifts and seperates.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    When 5* was introduced, CP was available after 2-3 months. Assuming that testing takes 2-3 months, a mean to purchase Support Token might be available in June or July. :D Again, this is my assumption. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    zulux21 said:
    "
    can we not?
    I completely agree. The disappearance of the page was a great feature and I see no reason for it to stay now unless they are going to allow people spend resources other than $s to get them. 
    I'm sure they're going to let you expend some resource to buy support tokens at some point (CP maybe?).  And to make people want supports, they need to keep them visible: the same way the legendary store pages don't go away when you run out of CP.

I'm just glad it's only a single store page rather than one for each token type.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker

I think the investment in the game is still good from the developers which is encouraging. I was hoping for something else as a feature to inject some much needed variety into the game for me personally.

After more then 4 years of playing I had been slowly reducing my time and interest. Now after starting a new job I only really have evenings to play and the thought of doing DPD, an entire pve clear and pvp each evening is just too much.

The addition of supports is just another long term thing to collect and gain which is obtainable for me but only if I then ramp up the grind again. 4 years is a great run but It has unfortunately been the straw that broke the Camels back and I can see myself dwindling down to zero play within the next few weeks if not sooner.

As I say. They investment in time and energy which must of gone into the new feature and most other things they do is really good. It was just a little off the path from what I wanted and from reading the various comments on various chats, this was the same for a few other people too.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Waiting for the introduction of Red CP
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Waiting for the introduction of Red CP
    Oh god please don't give them any ideas!
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Man... people really like to complain and are really focused on instant gratification...

Consider the supports a long term project... 
    Don’t expect to get 5* everything right away... expect it to take a few years...   enjoy the journey vs the destination... if you had everything, you would say “now what”.

I think it is good they are doing a slow roll out, especially since they likely don’t know how much impact they supports will have.

its like the next level of star cards... remeber when you got your first 5* and honestly.... the powers generally  do less damage than champed 3 and 4*s with only one cover... it takes some time to get enough to make them into a good character... give it a little time... 

I am glad they are fixing some things.  If they wait until it is perfect. It would never be released.   And users will still find things to fix ... so give them some time on this, let them learn and improve.

A few few things to work on...
    1) communications on how it is planned to work- a lot of people being unhappy with this is not having information on how this will be rolled out so they can make decisions around it... how will they normally be given out, 1 time or ongoing, frequency etc.  Will new ones be added?   If you don’t know... say so...
    2) communications on benefits - Do a better job showing how this will help everyone (from starter to whale) - set expectations on the impact (small vs large).   Benefits -how willl this make the game more interesting long term?

Give it a little time... I’m sure there will be a few nerfs and adjustments along the way... along with some improvements,
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hilk said:
    Give it a little time... I’m sure there will be a few nerfs and adjustments along the way... along with some improvements,
    What could possibly be nerfed with supports?  They are so completely underwhelming and under-powered that I can't imagine they could be any less useful.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Hilk said:

but no one asked for a second or third project to this game. We already have the 4 and 5 star grind.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hilk said:

but no one asked for a second or third project to this game. We already have the 4 and 5 star grind.

Nobody asked for Champions or Shield Ranks/XP either, is the game just supposed to remain stagnant until the playerbase requests features on its own? (nevermind the fact that people HAVE asked for ways to implement less popular characters and iconic locations into the game, which is exactly what Supports do, so this notion that "no one asked for Supports" is wrong to boot)

The fact of the matter is that Supports have a minimum impact on the rest of your grind (almost all of the tokens AND Red ISO have been added as new rewards, or in place of less valuable things). They aren't interfering with your 4*/5* grind in any way. Everything you're already doing to grind out 4's and 5's will get you Supports, you aren't being asked to do a single thing extra above and beyond to acquire them.

If you're already working on the 4-5 star grind, you'll gather Supports as a matter of course, and there's nothing to complain about.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:

If you're already working on the 4-5 star grind, you'll gather Supports as a matter of course, and there's nothing to complain about.
    understatement of the day? 

there is plenty to complain about.  just because you may not agree with any or all of them does not mean they are not valid complaints.  take vaulting and wins based.  i was ok with both of them, but i was able to understand why people didn't like them.  

and to compare supports to champing and shield ranks?  they introduce new features all them time.  DDQ, champing, 5*, Shield ranks, upgraded DDQ, vaulting, wins based, just to name a few.  some of them are universal winners that changed the way the game is played forever(DDQ, champing, 5*).  some are good but not great (SR, upgrading DDQ).  and then there are those that come across as bad things in a punch bowl (vaulting, wins based and now supports).  

will supports end up changing the face of the game?  maybe.  are they mostly useless, especially when compared to past upgrades?  mostly.  are they being implemented and distributed quite poorly, again especially compared to past upgrades?  most definitely.  

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    (* clipped a lot, but hopefully didn’t change context -Zoot *)
    some of them are universal winners that changed the way the game is played forever(...5*). 

It should really be noted that when 5*’s were initially released and the PVP season demo node had Silver Surfer easily 1v3 JeanBuster + some third 4* I forget (at the time, people set a challenge to lose that node...and it took real effort, even though Surfer is nowhere close to top tier), 5*’s weren’t viewed anywhere nearly as favorably as they are now.  They were reviled with the same pay-to-win accusations that supports are getting today.

Don’t get me wrong, I •really• don’t like a lot of how Supports have been implemented, so far, but outside of DDQ, SCL and championing, few changes in this game have really started well-received from Day 1.  We’re not even one week into the first PVP season with support-related rewards, so it seems reasonable to at least give a little time to see how things shake out before all judgements are passed.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    ZootSax said:
    (* clipped a lot, but hopefully didn’t change context -Zoot *)
    some of them are universal winners that changed the way the game is played forever(...5*). 

It should really be noted that when 5*’s were initially released and the PVP season demo node had Silver Surfer easily 1v3 JeanBuster + some third 4* I forget (at the time, people set a challenge to lose that node...and it took real effort, even though Surfer is nowhere close to top tier), 5*’s weren’t viewed anywhere nearly as favorably as they are now.  They were reviled with the same pay-to-win accusations that supports are getting today.

Don’t get me wrong, I •really• don’t like a lot of how Supports have been implemented, so far, but outside of DDQ, SCL and championing, few changes in this game have really started well-received from Day 1.  We’re not even one week into the first PVP season with support-related rewards, so it seems reasonable to at least give a little time to see how things shake out before all judgements are passed.
    i agree, sort of.  

first though, 5* could not be bought at the beginning.  i don't remember how long before you could, but i believe it was months before they were purchasable (through CP and the introduction of buy clubs).  and even then, you could not get them directly without 720 cp, an incredibly impossible number to come up with back then, when you were only earning a few dozen cp a week at best, versus the equivalent of almost one LT per day or more now (depending on how much you play). The irony being that there were people complaining then that *not* being able to buy them outright was a travesty.  so from my experience, the addition of 5* was mostly positive.

but back to the point, it isn't so much about the initial reaction, but the overall usefulness anyway.  take the upgrade to DDQ.  the introduction of a couple more nodes that got you 2 cp, more iso and an extra elite token?  in this game economy?  still weak sauce.  but it is still an improvement, that adds quantifiable value to the game.  and while people new to the game might not be able to complete every node every day, they would still get something from a couple of nodes.  and they can look at the sneak peak and plan on which single cover 2 or 3 or 4 star to hang onto in order to do more nodes. 

yes, it is a little early to pass judgment.  but it is not to early to form opinions
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    NeonBlue said:
    (a) Supports were overhyped and underwhelming, with only a fraction of the playerbase being able to enjoy it to any notable extent since it came out. Steam users were especially given the finger because our UI was destroyed for it.  At least with Shield Ranks and champing, players of all levels and spending limits could enjoy them and be rewarded. With supports, the fact that it's mostly a whale luxury at the moment is turning so many people off.
    I wasn't particularly happy when they introduced the champion system.  I had been evenly levelling up my forty 3* characters at the time (I think they were at level 130 or 140), and then they suddenly nerfed the entire tier and said I'd need to come up with a huge amount of iso before I could start benefiting from the new rewards and get my characters back to their previous power levels (back then it was quite an effort to level a character up to 166).  It was enough for me to give up on the game for about a year.

When I came back, things were a lot better: the resource problems had mostly been solved and I could enjoy the feature.  It seems quite possible that supports could be enjoyable too if they fix the resource problems: I'd feel more comfortable levelling up low rank supports if I didn't feel like I was potentially handicapping a high rank support I might open in the future.

At the moment, it just feels like they're experimenting to find out what the highest price the market will bear.  For master support tokens, they've tried HP, then CP, and now dollars.  I've personally passed on all those offers, so that's my data point for their calculations.