Unplayable characters, what is your thoughts on adding more.

13»

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes I would be in favor of more non playable characters
    JHawkInc said:
    Love everybodies comments.  The reason why I think it would be good to add more non playable characters is right now if we follow the every 2 weeks release, it will cost 26,000 HP in just roster slots.  If they would have more non playable this would introduce more characters without the HP cost.  I know they will still push these down our throats no matter what, but would be great to have something different in pve.  
    The problem with that line of thinking is that many people consider "more characters added to the game" to mean "more characters to play with." You aren't solving a problem (adding characters to the game faster without the resource drain), you're just creating a new one (now there are more characters in-game that aren't available to the player). It might work for some people, but for others the idea is just pushing papers around the table rather than actually getting anything done.
    The true problem is you can only fight Hood/Moonstone/Daken/Jugs/etc so many times before your eyes roll back into your head.  Adding some new non playable characters would at least give PVE a little more spice.  That is why people liked the Gauntlet.  

With Gauntlet, their were different teams you had to go against everytime they ran this. At least that’s what I think, been way too long since this ran. 
    But you can solve that problem with playable characters that appear in PVE too (see Venom/Carnage in Venom Bomb, 5Ock in Webbed Wonder, Nova in the Guardians event, and every upgraded Simulator that rolls in new characters).

You could make up a story about the Shadow King taking over Professor X and using his powers to mind control all of the X-Men, or all of the Avengers being replaced by Skrulls, and basically generate two entirely new PVE events using only existing characters (and a single extra art doodle like Mephisto or Norman Osborne, if you want to get ambitious).

I agree that we could use some more variety and spice in PVE (Heroics provided them by forcing unique matchups, even if people didn't like those and they came with their own problems, same with Gauntlet, especially back when you were restricted to not being able to use people on the other team). But I don't think unplayable characters are the only solution (nor are they inherently better than releasing playable characters intending to use them for the same purpose).
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    We've had some newer 3*s lately who are practically unplayable if not technically so.

Gambit, Angel, Elektra, etc.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    It would be fun if the Watcher showed up to make sure the "neutral" countdowns in the Wakanda event were actually neutral.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards

I think there are certain characters who would be highly unlikely to ever get released but who would be great as NPC’s/Mini bosses. Examples that come to mind:

The Wrecking Crew

The U-Foes

Shi’ar Imperial Guard members (Gladiator being the exception who would merit a release)