Unplayable characters, what is your thoughts on adding more.

The rockett
The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2018 in MPQ General Discussion

Since somebody PMed me and told me that I am too negative, let’s talk about something different and fun.  What are your thoughts on non-playable characters? 

Right now we have a total of 7 non playable characters that could be in the game.  For this, I am not talking about anybody in supports, only ones that we actually have seen in game.  They are Crystal (Lockjaw), Karnak (Lockjaw), Ultron, Galatus, Apocalypse, Kaecilius and Gorgon. 

So would you be in favor if they would release more non playable characters?  What are your thoughts on this?   

Unplayable characters, what is your thoughts on adding more. 87 votes

Yes I would be in favor of more non playable characters
57%
Dinobot77Wonko33sinnerjflColognoisseurNeuromancerBearVengeratomzedPunter1abmorazNabistayTiggidasteakleatherHendrossstochasticismECOcrushudonomefooDaichesDoc LPunisher5784Basepuzzler 50 votes
No I would not be in favor of more non playable characters
9%
YasuruQubortdrexylbrollJabrony_GeoffScreen MonkeytallemanInfinityTh4nos 8 votes
Indiffernt
27%
SpoitDragon_NexusafsplatWil88rixmithContinuedClockbabinroslaxer723aftarquinordvargas1PolarPopBearOver__FlowKGBDyingLegenddjrdjrMETT-T dependent[Deleted User]Player1575JPCQPalookaville 24 votes
Other (Explain below)
4%
TaganovPtahhotepjameshThaRoadWarrior 4 votes
None of the above
1%
Shintok17 1 vote

Comments

• The rockett
    Personally I would love more non playable characters.  When they launched Crash of the Titans, I thought it would be cool to add some to this.  Like Wolverine against Saber tooth.  I know in the one article that came out last week or so mentioned of some characters that they would like to release, but I can understand how hard this would be.  I do belive this would be a cool outlet to bring more of them into the game even if they are non playable. 
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    The kaecilius fight is a great example of bringing variety to the game by making win conditions other than standard damage.  I always use BSS, Elektra, and mr. F for that fight.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other (Explain below)
    So I do like the puzzle-based win conditions of those un-playable character boss fights, and I'm all for adding more of that. But i'm also wishing we had more playable villains in the game, so having 5*s like Ultron, Apocalypse, and Galactus would be pretty epic. Gorgon I could take or leave. I think it may be interesting to see what a playalbe Kaecilius would be like. Maybe have a 4ocket-style spread of strikes at the start of the match, forcing you to defend them or shield them quickly? He'd probably be relatively gambit-proof, since you need to actively match his strikes away and not just over-write them (not sure about that, as a non-5* player i'm not seeing too many gambits).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The kaecilius fight is a great example of bringing variety to the game by making win conditions other than standard damage.  I always use BSS, Elektra, and mr. F for that fight.

I use BSS, Elektra and Patch to have Another way to add enemy strike tiles. I suppose Hawkguy would be a viable alternative too.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    None of the above
    You forgot Apocalypse. I like the Bosses being unplayable though it makes it more interesting when they come around since you don't see them every day.
  • The rockett
    Shintok17 said:
    You forgot Apocalypse. I like the Bosses being unplayable though it makes it more interesting when they come around since you don't see them every day.
    Just fixed.  Knew I would miss one. 
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I like the boss fight type characters but would also like to see playable versions of them at some point. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I would not be in favor of more non playable characters
    I honestly prefer all being playable.  That makes the dev time spent on the character more impactful IMO.  I get having some special bosses, but even then I hope Ultron and Apocalypse are playable someday, in some form. 

I wouldn't be apposed to them being released and being non-playable for 1-2 years, then becoming playable after that.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other (Explain below)
    There are boss fight versions of several of the 5*s that subtly or wildly vary from their playable versions. The civil war boss versions of Iron Man and Cap even have their "summon ally" powers that legit summon allies, rather than just being countdown based, and Thano5 is very different with his infinity stone special tiles. We definitely have precedent for having playable bosses that aren't 1:1 across both versions.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018

Exactly. I do not know why they did not do more of this. Black Panther got a new PVE for his move release but there was no Killmonger mini-boss. Still disappointed there was no Thanos Infinity Stone PVE for the movie.. 4-day event with each Sub having a mini-boss of each Black Order member.

We complain there is not enough villains. At the very least they can make non-playable villains.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think you're too negative @The rockett

I just think you post too many polls.  ;)
  • The rockett
    Dormammu said:
    I don't think you're too negative @The rockett

I just think you post too many polls.  ;)
    Just things stuck in my head right now.  Just trying to give feedback if they read their forums.  I did hold onto my promise last Friday though. 
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Other (Explain below)
    I would like to see characters initially released as unplayable ones, like Gorgon. However, they should be made available as playable characters later, after we have had a chance to get their measure as opponents and the devs have had the opportunity to tweak them based on player feedback.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    @The rockett  are we talking about unplayable characters that make appearances in matches or any and all unplayable characters?

If so, Aunt May and Mephisto would like a word with you.
  • The rockett
    @Ducky kinda like the ones we currently have, minus Crystal and Karnak.  Ones we would go against and actually active in game.  Not like Aunt May that is just in the story (TBH I didn’t even think about it cause I am going as fast as I can in pve to read the story). 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Ducky said:
    @The rockett  are we talking about unplayable characters that make appearances in matches or any and all unplayable characters?

If so, Aunt May and Mephisto would like a word with you.
    Arn't they the same?

Contest of Champions recently got Sentinels, they would work thematically well in wave nodes.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    I'd like to see the boss rush versions of 5* bosses again. With the next wave AP reset to 0 and maybe one or two balance changes, I wonder how well I would do in it now
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    unplayable characters?  shouldn't they have fixed Banner by now?
    /rimshot