Please sir, may I have some more? (runes!)

Options
13»

Comments

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2018
    Options
    AzraelCB said:
    As a new player, I can definitely say that the lack of runes is a significant disadvantage. You can buy cards, but not progression... but the progression on PWs is a significant time suck.

In my opinion, the card mastery system makes sense. Use the card, learn it, gain mastery... why not build on that? Earn color points for mastering cards and use those points to level PWs of the appropriate color
    Using mastery points to level PWs is actually a good idea.
    Alternatively they can keep everything "as is" and reduce leveling cost
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    AzraelCB said:
    As a new player, I can definitely say that the lack of runes is a significant disadvantage. You can buy cards, but not progression... but the progression on PWs is a significant time suck.

In my opinion, the card mastery system makes sense. Use the card, learn it, gain mastery... why not build on that? Earn color points for mastering cards and use those points to level PWs of the appropriate color
    Using mastery points to level PWs is actually a good idea.
    Alternatively they can keep everything "as is" and reduce leveling cost
    Leveling cost has been the same as long as I've been playing, and possible since release.  Changing that is probably a bad idea, and is probably why the whole "gain xp while playing" thing won't happen.

Giving us more runes for assorted things, however, would be a serviceable workaround.  Its been suggested several times that mastering a card should give runes as a reward/incentive, I think that would work perfectly within the app as is.
  • AzraelCB
    AzraelCB Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Now that I have though more about it, rewarding runes with card mastery would be great accept that we expose another issue with progression. Racing to higher tiers of overall color mastery is actually bad for a new player. I am at gold right now. I would love platinum rewards, but until I get a better collection, I don't want to increase my grind with losses against mythic and masterpiece decks in PvP platinum. It is almost counterproductive. The whole progression experience needs to be smoothed out
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AzraelCB said:
    Now that I have though more about it, rewarding runes with card mastery would be great accept that we expose another issue with progression. Racing to higher tiers of overall color mastery is actually bad for a new player. I am at gold right now. I would love platinum rewards, but until I get a better collection, I don't want to increase my grind with losses against mythic and masterpiece decks in PvP platinum. It is almost counterproductive. The whole progression experience needs to be smoothed out
    Remember, the purpose of the tiers is both to separate new players from the old and to reward top-level players.  There are already a ton of things incentivizing people to go up, this would just be one more.  And if you have the collection to master that many cards quickly, you'll probably do fine at platinum anyway.  
  • AzraelCB
    AzraelCB Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Remember, the purpose of the tiers is both to separate new players from the old and to reward top-level players.  There are already a ton of things incentivizing people to go up, this would just be one more.  And if you have the collection to master that many cards quickly, you'll probably do fine at platinum anyway.  
    If most of these events were standard only, I would agree with you. Training grounds are not. Across Ixalan is, but you still have to have the cards to put together a deck. I went from bronze to gold pretty quickly. I didn't even really try
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    part of the biggesnt thing on mastery is not that you have used x amount of cards but you have a better understanding about the mechanics of the game and can make decks that can be competitive even with sub par cards
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    that is what i do bken, i work nights so i have the time but it can get mindnumbingly well mindnumbing, does help i fell into the trap and got a lot of the better new pws, vraska is leveled h2 no karn 24, angrath 30, and now more will be out soon? hmm yay looks like grinding is the only way to have a chance.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, we need Quick Battle back! @Oktagon_Daiane @Brigby
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As an alternative, I propose keeping Training Grounds, raising the runes (maybe to 300), letting us keep our all time battle record and win % and giving us some kind of leaderboard with other rewards every 3 days. 

It doesn't have to be called Quick Battle, right?
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    As an alternative, I propose keeping Training Grounds, raising the runes (maybe to 300), letting us keep our all time battle record and win % and giving us some kind of leaderboard with other rewards every 3 days. 

It doesn't have to be called Quick Battle, right?
    300 per win is still too low even if we're desperate for runes. TG does not have to match QB and suggest upping it to 500 or more runes a win.
     Much easier for both new and vets. pvp is much harder than heroic; higher reward makes grinding less painful.

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What about redesign of xp entirely?  Create new currency (convert existing runes on some announced ratio so users may decide to spend it earlier). Each win in pvp event give you 1-2 tokens. Each win in pve 1-5 (depending on difficulty of such node). Each story 1-3 but no more than x daily. Use this currency as now: for decks (10 tokens?) or to level pw but with flat rate (lvl 1-10 - 5 tokens, 11-20 - 10) or similar progressive like currently (amount of tokens = level to get)? Of course values are just examples. I'd love to have situation when I could level any pw 1-60 within one month just collecting monthly reward, playing tg and ai daily)