Please sir, may I have some more? (runes!)

Options

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gabrosin said:
    mrixl2520 said:
    Kinesia said:

Money is the wrong thing to focus on, they want people to spend money yes, but they also want people motivated to _play_ more and that's the bit there's little driving for.

I've suggested in the past that everytime you Master a card with a PW you get a "burst" of experience on that specific PW and a small amount of runes. (Numbers to be experimented with). This would be a driver to just _play_ the PWs you want to level and I think that that would be good for the game overall. You'd get people playing with their low level folk and doing crazy silly things with them to master odd unused cards and it'd engage people with their new PW.
    I love this card leveling idea!

An idea I have is that every time you win with a PW, that PW gets an amount of xp. Maybe like 100, just a bit to keep leveling them up. That way you could slowly level all your PWs and have extra runes to allocate however you like
    Please let's not do this.  Some of us prefer to hit a certain level with our PWs and then stay there.  Not every PW is best at level 60.
    The thing is, thats not a good thing.  Technically speaking you should always want all your walkers at level 60.
    Back in the day planeswalker leveling curves were modified to encourage people to level them up, after it was noticed that some were getting held at lower levels (OG Gideon was the main culprit, btw).

It there is a walker who functions better at a lower level, that is a design issue, but not something that should be encouraged.  

I totally support letting walkers slowly level as you use them.  I think that would be fantastic.  If you need a compromise, though, maybe make it only in TG.  That way if you don't want a walker leveled, just don't do TG runs with them
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @octal9 PWs should be sold with enough runes to level them to 45 at least. Lack of runes is also the reason why I don't buy PWs. 
    Do you think they hold on runes so that players won't acquire content easily with high level PWs? 

If I recall, their solution to getting more runes was getting them from booster crafting. This is obviously not enough.
    With QB you could play 10 QB a day for a steady inflow of runes and that was more than what this game could offer with all them events and crafting in 1 month.

@wereotter The community did not request a nerf in runes acquisition which was what D3 has did. People requested ways to spend their runes on. No one said they were worthless. In reality, runes were not easier to get when QB was around unless you put in the effort. It was challenging to compete in QB if you did not have decent cards. QB was way harder than TG

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:
    @octal9 PWs should be sold with enough runes to level them to 45 at least. Lack of runes is also the reason why I don't buy PWs. 
    Do you think they hold on runes so that players won't acquire content easily with high level PWs? 

If I recall, their solution to getting more runes was getting them from booster crafting. This is obviously not enough.
    With QB you could play 10 QB a day for a steady inflow of runes and that was more than what this game could offer with all them events and crafting in 1 month.

@wereotter The community did not request a nerf in runes acquisition which was what D3 has did. People requested ways to spend their runes on. No one said they were worthless. In reality, runes were not easier to get when QB was around unless you put in the effort. It was challenging to compete in QB if you did not have decent cards. QB was way harder than TG

While I would like enough runes to level them to 45 straight away... You actually miss out if you just level them all the way up straight away. It's a better experience in learning about how they work to level them up slowly and experiment with different things when they have bad mana and small abilities.

Just like in an RPG levelling things up slowly is actually a more fun experience than jumping straight to the end.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    MADAFAKA said:

While I would like enough runes to level them to 45 straight away... You actually miss out if you just level them all the way up straight away. It's a better experience in learning about how they work to level them up slowly and experiment with different things when they have bad mana and small abilities.

Just like in an RPG levelling things up slowly is actually a more fun experience than jumping straight to the end.
    That’s 100% your opinion though. I, on the other hand, find it tiring to play at sub-optimal PW levels. I would rather have my walkers maxed ASAP so that I can fully make use of all interesting interactions.

I did not realize that Karn cost over 300K runes. Buying him gives you 5K... that barely qualifies as a pittance.

Runes and orbs need to be easier to come by for two reasons, it gives established players something to continue doing (maximizing and collecting) and it allows new players to be competitive. That being said, I’m not at all convinced they actively care about people playing regularly. I think they’re comfortable with people playing an hour here and here, as long as they spend money so that level of play can be competitive. That seems to be who the current game is catered to anyhow.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MADAFAKA said:

I am authentically confused why I was tagged here; I’m not sure why the rune flow was reduced to a trickle. Speculation: reduced rune flow could theoretically correlate with higher screen time per player. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Levelling planeswalkers is part of the design too though, so it's not just my opinion, it's _meant_ to be part of the game.

Not wanting to play them _ever_ at low is just as broken from a design point as trying to avoid getting them to max.

People doing either of those things should be weird exceptions, not majority viewpoints.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i liked karn being sold so cheap a decent step back on pricing to introduce him early and knowing how hard it would be to level him, that being said though dang it is hard getting runes plus with all the new ones out that looked good i fell for the bait and stuck with nothing because i was leveling the others. ehh nose to the grindstone and work it tg each day and what ever else i can to get him up there. having at least one pve challenge a week would help though one based more on runes than crystals
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Right now I'm feeling a little tight on runes because we just had a ton of new content dumped on us. We have 36 pws available to us. 3 I have no interest in (h1, arlinn and sarkhan) of the remaining 33, I have 32. No j3 because I'm not in a rush to have a 4th mono u pw. 29 of those 32 are at level 60. One's at 45 and 2 I haven't even touched yet. The runes are available, and before this recent mass set dump (still salty ) I was able to comfortably get enough runes to level a dual color pw in a month. I know this because of the period when we were required to get the new pw for the event where we had to use them in a manner contrary to their intended use. I started around ogw, so I didn't have millions of qb runes stacked up. I just wish there was some sort of regularity to releases . We go over 6 months without a release and then we get 6 months worth of releases in a month , complete with infinitely cycling ways to spend money. It would be nice if they at least tried to give us some time to reaccumulate resources. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    another fix is to upgrade TD to grant like 500  runes each game after completing the 4 progression.
    This will motivate people to play beyond 4 games
  • Kinesia
    Options
    @babar3355 Yes, I really really like the idea of every planeswalker having their own "intro" battles like Intro to the game where we get Nissa. The basic 5 should definitely _All_ be introduced the same way and not have to be bought, just played for.
    Having every new one have an introduction to their new powers to get them to about 20 would be great.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dodecapod said:
    Tl;dr - For PvP, all PWs should have a fixed level, independent of progress, and for PvE, PWs released more than 6-12 months ago should have their leveling costs significantly decreased, while the optimal outlet for grinding runes should be more engaging than thousands of story mode/TG battles

Excellent post, sir.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madwren said:
    Dodecapod said:
    Tl;dr - For PvP, all PWs should have a fixed level, independent of progress, and for PvE, PWs released more than 6-12 months ago should have their leveling costs significantly decreased, while the optimal outlet for grinding runes should be more engaging than thousands of story mode/TG battles

Excellent post, sir.
    really, top notch. #agreement
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would even say that each PW should progress and level up based on the victorys achieved with it.
    In my opinion it doesn't make sense that you can play with one PW, and win resources to level up a different one not even playing with it and learning how it works as you progress, so i would just get rid of the runes AT ALL, and make PW's level up based on how much you play with it. And of course don't make it like a neverending chore (thinking of the 300K runes Karn costs to max him up). 

First 20 levels: 1 victory -> 1 level
    From lvl20 to lvl40: 2 victorys -> 1 level
    From lvl40 to lvl60: 3 Victorys -> 1 level

I guess something like this would work just fine... enough to experience the PW at it's lower tiers and also level it up at a consistent pace...

@babar3355 suggested a closed story mode for each one of them, which i think is a brilliant idea, however, implementing something like that would take... ages.. we haven't even seen a tiny improvement in normal story mode for so long...

Anyway, my 2 cents!
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Coilbox said:

First 20 levels: 1 victory -> 1 level
    From lvl20 to lvl40: 2 victorys -> 1 level
    From lvl40 to lvl60: 3 Victorys -> 1 level

This would be pretty cool, and quite fun (for me).  I think theyd make it a little harder, though, and scaled based on the walker (like they do now).  So 2 color take more wins (say 1.5 times as many), and 3 color/Karn take twice as many.  

• Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Training Grounds should at least match the 250 runes of Heroic Encounters
    More runes or extra reward runes after the final reward in events should be added.
    Daily objectives in story mode for more runes.
    More runes scattered across each event or platform only adds interest and balances out the need for some players to play more. What's the point of buying a new PW if you can't level the ones you have.
    I don't understand why they would push us to grind Heroic Encounters when Training Grounds has more variety and interesting game play. They could spice things up in TGs with achievements- 10 wins in a row 1000 runes, win with summoning no creatures 2000 runes..etc
    Story Mode has so much untapped potential for interesting events. x2 or even x3 rune events, daily objectives,...
    Personally ,I'm fine with the financial part of the game because  the game is really free if your disciplined with no ads.

• Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Dodecapod said:
    Nobody's done it, so I'll just go ahead and tag @Brigby and @Oktagon_Daiane

I hope you guys can at least pass this on to the dev team, even if you don't read it yourselves. This is some fantastic analysis, and it really does a great job of defining the problem as well as offering excellent suggestions for improvement.