Who is the worst 4-Star character?

Comments

• sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I was planning to do one of these after seeing the March madness thread, but I recommend people do something like this http://www.pubmeeple.com/introducing-board-game-ranking-engine/ to rank all of them.

weakness of the brackets is the fact it is single elimination. Also most people saw #1 coming, but 2-9 are debateable. That engine will have you 1v1 nearly every combination to see where you truely rank each 4* among each other.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    In no particular order

4* Wolverine - his black power is good. But his green is really weak and his yellow is a mess.

Sandman - I really have problems using him even when boosted. I simply can’t find a team for him. His green is good. But his purple is done better and cheaper by Kingpin. And his yellow is a mess. 

Kingpin - I can team him with some characters and do work but his black power was really screwed over by making it SO cd dependent.

X-23 - 16 green and 9 red to get Berserker Fury to even put strikes in the field. And you guys are complaining about Flaptain? At least when I get Flaptain’s yellow + red combo, I know somebody is going down. Can Laura say the same? And of course the nerf to trap tiles affected her purple. 

Kraven - I actually love his purple. He goes great with Venom (Eddie Brock). But his black is a CD for no reason and his blue is a mess. 

Captain Falcon - I actually think his biggest problem is that his blue is too limited. It cuts down CDs but nowadays, you might not even want that. And the buffs are weak. 

Devil Dino - he’s a joke character so..... whatever.
  • zooink2018
    zooink2018 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Don’t think he’s the worst but I don’t find him particularly special either. Or maybe my Nightcrawler isn’t high levelled enough or I don’t use him much enough to understand his usefulness xD
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Flaptain, just a fail on every possible level. Weak protect tiles, the buffing tiles is a joke and reducing CD's by 1 is not exactly super useful either. That red is too expensive and conditional to pull off to get that big damage reliably.

Kraven is the runner-up, he has zero uses apart from his purple which makes him extremely niche.

Devil Dino doesnt count, not supposed to be good and she's even worse than what a joke char should be. (Howard is actually decent if you compare)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,065 Chairperson of the Boards
    In what situation would you ever use xforce wolverine? Cmon now, no lying you wouldn't. Hence the worst. Even boosted he stinks.
    I think a lot of the hate for XFW comes from old timers who had him maxed out before he was nerfed. At that point, his black at LVL 5 gave you all the AP from the tiles you destroyed.  While I freely admit that power creep has definitely left him behind, he is not completely useless.  He gives a LOT of board shake with his green at 5.  He will very likely kill an enemy 4-star with his black at 5.  He an heal up if his yellow healing tile goes off, or do even more board shake damage if it's matched.

Use him with XFDeadpool.  Seven purple and eleven black will kill at least one, and probably two of the enemy 4-stars.

Maybe if his green generated black AP it would help. I came across quite a few boosted X-Force Wolvies over Easter and it was a race to black against my 4* Iron Fist - I won pretty much every time even though IF's black costs 1ap more. More often than not I one-shotted the enemy XFW as a result as his health is low also.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    It's a sign of where we're at that special teams characters get branded as garbage. Consider
    - Electra: Kaecilius, Kaecilius, Kaecilius.
    This! I have never had trouble with K ever since I champed Elektra!
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Kraven's purple work really well with 3* Wolverine, and their colour are opposite of each other. Not only can his purple lower enemies strike, its passive damage can be boosted by green strike tiles.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    The only classic 4 stars I have left to champ are Kingpin & Elektra, so pick one of those: probably Kingpin at this point. I was champing him when the nerf came, so disappointing. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    In what situation would you ever use xforce wolverine? Cmon now, no lying you wouldn't. Hence the worst. Even boosted he stinks.
    I like to use him with Magneto and Loki, or at least I did back when scaling was a thing and I needed a team that could punch far beyond their level. They are a cascade generating machine that would often go winfinite for me.

XFW has one good power in his black, so that makes him at the very least better than Winter Soldier.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    4* Venom hasn't been mentioned very much so far. I levelled him up to the 150s in order to complete a DDQ, which was a struggle as he seems to be a hard character to use. Does he work well with anyone?

Furthermore, do you think a 5* Venom might come to MPQ to go with the film release later in the year?
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    4* Venom hasn't been mentioned very much so far. I levelled him up to the 150s in order to complete a DDQ, which was a struggle as he seems to be a hard character to use. Does he work well with anyone?

Furthermore, do you think a 5* Venom might come to MPQ to go with the film release later in the year?
    Medusa. Get her attacks out there and they should be making enemy protects every turn. Venom is niche, but I can't ignore his passive.
    Since that Venom movie is not MCU I would be surprised if it makes it into the game
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker

Mentioned earlier in the thread as well but he also works well with Kraven's purple, as long as you can get a few weak protects out.

I actually consider Venom to be one of the more fun toons to play with, as his kit really changes your priorities in a given match. If you really want to surprise people, try playing him 5/5/3 of 4/5/4, in which case his green will actually have decent chip damage if you can fire it for the lowest cost.

Try playing Medusa/Gamora/Venom and you'll get some really silly stunlock/boardshake combos going, or Medusa/Venom/Cyclops for a pure boardshake team.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Venom and Kraven are a great duo. I run Venom at 5/3/5 because Kraven is gonna drop the power of enemy tiles anyway so Symbiotic Fury can have more punch. 

And Medusa as well because Entanglememt at lvl 4 passes the threshold needed to put protect tiles on the field. 

I run Eddie quite a bit and think he’s really good for what he does. 

Venom/Kraven/3*Hawkeye
    venom/Kraven/Patch
    venom/carnage/Kraven
    Venom/Elektra//Kraven
    venom/medusa/kraven
    venom/medusa/3*Hawkeye
    venom/Medusa/yondu

people who have Elektra and venom rated as bottom tier.... I don’t know what they’re doing or trying but they’re wrong. I find a lot more uses of those 2 characters than Winter Soldier and XFW. Winter Soldier and XFW seem more like characters that help out 3* rosters.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I just champed Winter Soldier today & it felt so sad, like, am I ever gonna use this guy besides a crash?
  • zooink2018
    zooink2018 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    XFW works well with 4* Deadpool. Start off with Deadpool’s purple skill followed by XFW’s black for extreme damage! 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jexman said:
    I just champed Winter Soldier today & it felt so sad, like, am I ever gonna use this guy besides a crash?
    Don't despair! Sometimes he's the required 4-star in PvE too.  :#
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,339 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    I've been curious if Nightcrawler would empower XFW's black. I have a champ NC, but my XFW is in a very sad state so I think it would be more underwhelming than usual.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't know people hated Winter Soldier so much. His blue is pretty beast, and you can often get the full effect of red by using his purple to facilitate. Just me?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Come to think of it, all characters have different uses. It's more of a how the players make each character shine. 

I think Winter Soldier requires some setup for most of his abilities, but I do like his abilities. I could pair him up with someone who can reduce countdown tiles like Agent Coulson or C4rol or a tile swapper like Mr Fantastic, depending on whether you like his blue or red. 
  • modok47
    modok47 Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    At least the worst for my type of play style are Winter Soldier ,Venom , Drax , Sam Wilson and Wilson Fisk.