Who is the worst 4-Star character?

System
System Posts: 1,028 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: MPQ March Madness complete -- Congrats to the champ: Captain Marvel!.

Comments

• Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Has anyone ever done the opposite and crowned the worst 4*? Elektra or Kraven?
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Elektra seriously should not be on the bottom, if you compare her to Kraven, she is awesome
  • Bubba3210
    Smart80 said:
    Elektra seriously should not be on the bottom, if you compare her to Kraven, she is awesome
    I completely agree but would they be the bottom two?
  • Smart80
    Bubba3210 said:
    Smart80 said:
    I completely agree but would they be the bottom two?
    She isnt as useless as people think. She can steal enemy specials, create ap, dodge full attacks. Thats quite a lot more than say, Dino, WM and Bucky...
  • OldManWolvs
    OldManWolvs Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Worst 4*- first thought was FalCap then TA Hulk, Winter Soldier. Definitely not Elektra 
  • Smart80
    Chulk? Really? He aint that bad. Decent damage and fuels himself. Can be essential more often if you ask me..

Flaptain i totally forgot, but then again, I usually do.. lol
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the worst 4 is Devil Dinosaur. I guess she has high health and a spammable purple but her powers hit like a wet noodle. I also rate the “new and improved” Kingpin pretty low. 
  • Bubba3210
    @Brigby, I took us off topic. Could the talk about ranking the worst 4* be moved to a new discussion please?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,149 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bubba3210 said:
    @Brigby, I took us off topic. Could the talk about ranking the worst 4* be moved to a new discussion please?
    How about a "reverse" bracket like this one, where you pick the worst 4*?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    About half the time when a new 4* comes out, they get nominated for the title, but Flaptain is the one who always, always comes up in the discussion.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,549 Chairperson of the Boards
    Flaptain is pretty bad since no one really wants to spam protect tiles and his red, while it hits like a truck, is waaaaay to expensive.  I suspect he's far from the worst 4*, though - his tile enhancement and CD reduction make him an interesting gear in a few nasty machines.  I haven't played Kraven enough to say how bad he is, but on paper he looks pretty bad. Sandman is also full of Meh, I think.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    I thought Flaptain was pretty okay if you can pair him up with protect tiles maker. He could 1HKO most 4 * with enough protect tiles out. He reduces countdown tiles as well.

I think it has to go to Devil Dino. It hits like baby. Even 2* Ares hit harder than this ancient artefact. The only saving grace is its high hp.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2018
    Sandman's best use so far is with Vulture and G4mora to stunlock opposing teams.

It's at least an effective way to utilize him when boosted.

I'm still super disappointed with the changes made to Kingpin. He was already in the lower portion of the 4* tier before his weird nerf.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Falcon needs to have his powers/costs really looked at.  If his protect tile creation was passive, for example, he might be more useful, and if his red was cheaper, but then he literally becomes Luke Cage.  Cage has a really expensive red that's actually cheaper than Falcap's, and he creates protect tiles passively.  In order to get the most out of Falcon you want to bank a ton of yellow and red, popular colors that are better used by other characters.

Falcap has an interesting blue that isn't interesting enough to bring along his other limitations.  Probably needs a serious re-work more than just a tweak, but just making his red less expensive might encourage players to find some interesting teams for him.

People hate on Bucky, and he got a serious nerf when they changed the rules about matching vs destroying special tiles, but when he's boosted that red and those trap tiles hit really hard.  
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I like Bucky a lot. I wouldn't use him unboosted, but the same could be said of most 4*s.

Flaptain, though, I can't think of a single instance where he'd be the best choice.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think of Devil Dinosaur or Howard as anything more than a nifty trophies, so I wouldn't even consider them worst or best lists. But I love creating lists so here's my least favorite 4-stars in descending order...

5) Lockjaw - I've never really gotten into the charged tile strategy other than Thoress, who does a fine job of producing and utilizing them all by herself, so maybe that's why I don't appreciate Lockjaw more.

4) Quake - She can protect you against AoE. Okay, cool. And, uh, what else? In a meta age of special tiles and countdowns, big board shakers are no longer our friends.

3) MEHulk - Expensive, wildly inconsistent, with no direct damage attacks. Yet another Hulk no one ever plays (even though we all want to).

2) Winter Soldier - One overly expensive power (red), one completely unreliable trap power (blue), and one mostly ineffective power (purple) all combine to make for a bad character. I don't even use this guy when he's boosted.

1) Kraven - I'm not entirely sure what the developers were thinking here. Some neat ideas hidden under poor execution. It's too bad, Kraven is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains.

(Special shout-out to Kingpin, Flaptain, Gwenpool, Venom, and Gwen who also were in consideration to join this list.)
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    I am not suggesting Kraven is the best 4*, but he's much better than people give him credit for.
    People complain about Grocket. Here's the fix, and a real nasty one too when dropped in a proper team, as you pointed out.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu said:
    I don't think of Devil Dinosaur or Howard as anything more than a nifty trophies, so I wouldn't even consider them worst or best lists. But I love creating lists so here's my least favorite 4-stars in descending order...

5) Lockjaw - I've never really gotten into the charged tile strategy other than Thoress, who does a fine job of producing and utilizing them all by herself, so maybe that's why I don't appreciate Lockjaw more.

4) Quake - She can protect you against AoE. Okay, cool. And, uh, what else? In a meta age of special tiles and countdowns, big board shakers are no longer our friends.

3) MEHulk - Expensive, wildly inconsistent, with no direct damage attacks. Yet another Hulk no one ever plays (even though we all want to).

2) Winter Soldier - One overly expensive power (red), one completely unreliable trap power (blue), and one mostly ineffective power (purple) all combine to make for a bad character. I don't even use this guy when he's boosted.

1) Kraven - I'm not entirely sure what the developers were thinking here. Some neat ideas hidden under poor execution. It's too bad, Kraven is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains.

(Special shout-out to Kingpin, Flaptain, Gwenpool, Venom, and Gwen who also were in consideration to join this list.)

Gotta say I'm not in agreement with some of these.

Lockjaw - OMG. He's unreally good with the right partners. Aside the amazing Lockjaw-Medusa-Mr Fantastic team in the Balance of Power PvP (try it if you haven't - may take a while but you'll pretty much never lose), Lockjaw shines with anyone with special tiles. Indeed, you said the meta is special tiles (in why you think Quake is not great), and Lockjaw is integrally linked to these. 

Quake - Whilst in most events she's been bypassed, and I'd agree that she's not what she was, her protection versus AoE in PvE events, such as anyones with The Hand in, is unparalleled by any other character. Likewise, her green does a fair whack of damage buffed. 

Kraven - Sure, he ain't Cap Marvel, but his ability to reduce special tiles versus Carnage especially (special tiles again!) is great. Not top tier or anything, but I think a lot of people haven't used him much. Also, versus Grocket, he's an effective counter. 

As for who is the worst to me... If I ignore Devil Dino and Howard, I have to say the worst ones to me are:

- Nick Fury - Fun to use, but he needs a massive buff in damage especially

- Drax - Eh, he had a buff, but he needs more

- X-Force Wolverine - He is so far behind, he's vaguely fun when he's buffed.

• CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Invisible Woman gets my vote.  Yes she can go invisible which is great for her 1v1 and she can be annoying in PvP if you're careless enough to let her go invisible.  But she is unbelievably slow to play with.

I could put up a defence for others (e.g. I loved using boosted Bucky back when I only had one 5*, Sandman green is ok, Lockjaw/Kraven have niches uses) but Flaptain is another that is so slow and has very limited uses.  His yellow/red combo is undoubtedly good, but give most other characters 23ap in their colours and they'll do some damage too.