Is any one else hoarding until the next big change to the game?

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
The developers told us that SOMETHING is coming, but we have no idea what. Well we have some ideas based on a hidden button that was in the game, the fact that the Steam UI was changed to accommodate whatever is coming, and that character rebalances have been put on the back burner for this new change. So aside from knowing that it’s likely going to be a BIG change, we don’t have a strong idea of what is coming down the pipeline. 

The one thing I learned about this game is that when changes happen it is always better to have resources than to not. Think of vaulting. Those with hoards benefitted. Think of champ levels. Those who waited to open those tokens benefitted. Even things like the roster slot sale benefitted those with HP hoards. 

I was already hoarding LT/CP until GR/AA leave, and always hoard Tacos for health packs. But now I am hoarding everything including standards (just started, and am at 89), Elites (531), Heroics (144 and 3 ten-packs) and PVE event tokens. The only thing I don’t hoard are my three event tokens per PVP. That’s it. 

I’m just wondering if others are adopting this strategy as well or do you not care?  I know the two main viewpoints are usually “hoarding isn’t fun” vs. “hoarding is effective”. Just curious if the specter of change looming has impacted your patterns at all?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It depends... I hoard not because I want to. It's because I need to. I don't have the slots to roster them. I opened up about 20 Classics before and end up selling most of them. At my current stage, hoarding is effective for me. The things I hoard are: CP, LT, Sweet, Savoury. 

Why are you hoarding so many ET? 531 of them. Do you have some kind of privy info that caused you to hoard so many ET? Like an awesome meta changing 3* is coming? i was thinking of hoarding ET and HT till I have 100 of each. But I ended up opening them when I got close to 20 of each because I needed 2 covers to champ him 5/5/1 and I regret opening them. 

Regarding the major change, I think it has to be some kind of major UI change and it might not be related to hoarding. 
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Neh, I'm started hoarding LT and cp just recently. Wanted to cover Thor before he buried in Classics so spend all the previous hoard and ended with 12 covers (sadly). Now waiting till AA drop out. It's personal thing, but I won't hoard any other then LT and not because "the change". If "the change" will be that so it's strategically was right thing to hoard all tokens, well, I won't regret that I didn't do that. Maybe just start hoarding from that point. Why bother now? I think, after all of this, the best change that hoarders will beg about is the "open all" button.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    No.

No point in hoarding when we don't know what it is. All they have to do is introduce a new currency or token (like they did with 5*s) and your hoard is useless for the new feature. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    When vaulting was introduced, I had hoarded.  The good news was I quickly covered the 12 Latest. The bad news was I couldn’t pull Vintage for a long time.

It is unlikely that hoarding will be an absolute positive.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I’m not hoarding. I did hoard Latest tokens for a bit to wait for my 13 cover Thor to rotate out. I play for me to progress my roster so I open tokens as soon as is feasible for my needs. I hope there’s some awesome changes happening soon. But I won’t hoard in anticipation. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    No.

Hoarding is boring. If I stop opening I might as well stop playing altogether.
    Well said, hoarding means little to no meaningful progress on my roster. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes hoarding because I normally do for every season but now this is a lot longer. Current hoard 

Standards:  542
    Elites:  266
    Heroic:  253 and 4-10packs
    LT:  45
    CP: 2200
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    If you hoard Heroics, you can’t buy the 100 HP daily deal right?  I love the daily deals...
  • Daredevil217

Why are you hoarding so many ET? 531 of them. Do you have some kind of privy info that caused you to hoard so many ET? Like an awesome meta changing 3* is coming? i was thinking of hoarding ET and HT till I have 100 of each. But I ended up opening them when I got close to 20 of each because I needed 2 covers to champ him 5/5/1 and I regret opening them. 
    I have about 8 and (counting) 3* characters approaching 266 with fully covered dupes ready to champ. And I don’t have the iso to invest in them. So I was hoarding them for a while before the rumblings of change. Same with Heroics. Don’t want to pull a 3/4 I can’t afford to champ. 
  • Daredevil217

JHawkInc said:
    No.

No point in hoarding when we don't know what it is. All they have to do is introduce a new currency or token (like they did with 5*s) and your hoard is useless for the new feature. 
    While true that the new currency (LT/CP) was needed for 5*; it didn’t make the old currency obsolete either. I don’t think you would have lost anything in that situation. 

The other big argument I hear against hoarding aside from it’s boring is that it stunts progress (especially how I’m doing it hoarding EVERYTHING). 

I’m in this weird limbo place roster wise where I have 7 4s left to champ and no strong desire to champ 5s (though weirdly enjoy trying to max cover them... just don’t want to have to use the same characters over and over once leveled). So my roster won’t ultimately benefit from a 59th 4* all that much and thus I don’t think I’m hampering myself competitively.   But I’m also not the type to set my bonus heroes to whoever gives me a LT next either. I figure one LT pulled now is one less pulled later. They’ll come when they come. Same with pulling these covers. I can’t afford to champ all these threes and remaining 4s anyway so I’ll get the rewards when I eventually do pull. 
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Nope. We still don't know what's coming or if it's even related to hoarding or cover related. It could just be cosmetic.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was. Ended up needing resources to save a high number of expiring unchamped 4*s. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love it when people try to pretend they don’t know what that change is.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I mean, I'm saving up until LTs contain JJ and whoever the next two are to give myself some time to rechamp my 3*s and maybe champ another 4* or two. If a new feature that happens to benefit from hoarding happens to come along, then yay.

Also, I feel like at any given time, we've always been waiting for the "SOMETHING" that devs promised. With the exception of champing, I dunno that it's ever actually arrived.
  • Daredevil217
    Tony Foot said:

I’ve pretty much been begging developers every chance I get not just for info but when they think we might be getting some info maybe someday, please please. Needless to say, I’m thirsty (lol ) and have no idea what’s coming, just that it’s supposed to be big.  

So if you (or anyone else ) would like to PM me... 
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Tony Foot said:

Please elaborate...
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle said:
    No.

Hoarding is boring. If I stop opening I might as well stop playing altogether.
    I find the opposite to be true sometimes.  If I'm hoarding with a goal in mind, such as getting to 300 LT's to cover the 3 Latest, it incentivises me more than hitting 1200 in PvP just to pull  yet another Kraven or Falcap.  And a person in my alliance religiously hoards Heroics so he can try and get a new 4>5* feeder to the next milestone and double up on rewards.

But at other times, I agree with you.  Having hoarded for 2+ seasons and still not having got 2/3rds to my goal, I feel that the progress of my 4*s has stagnated and at this point it IS becoming more of a grind and my trigger finger is getting itchy.  Fortunately the prospect of getting more.AA covers has helped me resist temptation so far.

I'm also very keen to one day be able to cover a new 5* on release and take advantage of their ridiculous 90 level boost in PvP.  Revenge will be sweet!!
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Yes, but mostly just because hoarding is awesome. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone who had seen the in game Easter egg knows that the devs will continue to “support” the game for some time yet. The exact mechanics are unknown, whether or not spoilers are out there. And sometimes what people find is a red herring.

Maybe next week we will find something out.  Other than leaked info, the game feels very stale right now.