Goofy interaction ideas

Options
Okay, so currently there is 1740 cards in mtgpq belonging to 11 different sets, and while some interactions between those are a little bit too powerful to be enjoyable (omni, huf, deploy, something as simple as draw+gem convertion etc), there is a lot of funny and witty synergies, which are hiding, waiting to be discovered by us, jank brewers.

Yesterday I had a blast playing a deck based around Belligerent Brontodon (that is how you design uncommons, boys and girls). While initially i wanted to use it along with Westvale Abbey, it turned out the Abbey was worded wrongly, and can never attack despite lacking that clause in the text. After some tweaking, I ended up with a deck, featuring Obelisk Spider, Fetid Imp and Saving Grace. Deck was not even close to tier 1, but it felt hilarious and unique.

Another funky idea is using Kaladesh Expertises (mostly blue and white ones) to cast cards with Awaken, which enter the battlefield awakened and it is a lot of fun. Especially when you use it with Valor in Akros and Anointed Procession.

So, what are your favorite uncommon and hilarious interactions? Feel free to share :) 

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like goring Ceratops/saving grace. 
  • TheExaminer
    TheExaminer Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    I like goring Ceratops/saving grace. 
    How does it work?
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    You need other creatures of course, but it puts your Ceratops in the bottom slot  so it gives your other creatures the double strike buff.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does Thopter Pie Network ever hit your creatures? The wording suggests it might, but I don't have it to test. If it did, that'd be an interesting combo with enrage dinos.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    No it doesnt
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you have it, Tree of Perdition would be a great candidate for that Brontodon deck.

Some Dissassembly Required is a hard card to get to work well, but if you happen to have Relentless Dead, you can have a lot of fun with Dissassembly. I have a Nicol Bolas deck with it and Relentless Dead, Fleshbag Marauder, and Skaab Goliath that is an absolute blast if you can get all the parts into play. Takes a while to set up but is completely unbothered by kill spells, and between the huge berserk/lifelink Goliath and the regularly-recurring Fleshbag, keeps their board decimated and you sitting pretty. As a side benefit, any time you need to hit a "lose X or more creatures" objective with a legacy deck, it works like a charm.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No it doesnt
    It definitely did when I used it! But just very rarely
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Captivating Crew and Skaab Goliath is pretty funny, a horror movie on a pirate ship.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sandworm Convergence and Verdant Sun's Avatar. Nothing like getting life every turn.
  • TheExaminer
    Options
    Sandworm Convergence and Verdant Sun's Avatar. Nothing like getting life every turn.
    Nah , that is boring. I like Convergence with Stratus Walk better :) 
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Diregraf Colossus and Liliana, the Last Hope's ultimate also combo will with Some Disassembly Required, if you have them Stormcrow.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Best Brontodon combo is Oketra and Obelisk Spider. Saving Grace makes them all get yuge.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    HomeRn said:
    My favorite so far is the interaction with Journey for Eternity and The Great Aurora.

Without any creatures on your side, there's nothing special to note.  But if there's a creature under your control with Journey for Eternity out as well, The Great Aurora has an interesting interaction.  What happens is that Aurora targets and kills creatures first, then goes after all of the supports afterwards.  With Journey of Eternity however, is actually quite interesting...

When a creature you control dies with Journey for Eternity in play, Journey flips to it's land side and returns the first creature that, "died," back to the battlefield - allowing one creature to dodge a kill spell (NOT being exiled though).

Back to the interaction - when The Great Aurora goes off with a creature and Journey to Eternity in play, Journey to Eternity will flip, saves the first creature, returns as a land, and is not destroyed by The Great Aurora because it flipped!

I also have to say that this *might* be a bit buggy in a sense, but the way The Great Aurora has always worked... that honestly is how it technically should work?
    Holy biscuits...that's amazing...

I've been playing around a lot with Journey, but hadn't thought to include The Great Aurora. I need to test this out now. Thanks for the tip!
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Matthew said:
    HomeRn said:
    My favorite so far is the interaction with Journey for Eternity and The Great Aurora.

Without any creatures on your side, there's nothing special to note.  But if there's a creature under your control with Journey for Eternity out as well, The Great Aurora has an interesting interaction.  What happens is that Aurora targets and kills creatures first, then goes after all of the supports afterwards.  With Journey of Eternity however, is actually quite interesting...

When a creature you control dies with Journey for Eternity in play, Journey flips to it's land side and returns the first creature that, "died," back to the battlefield - allowing one creature to dodge a kill spell (NOT being exiled though).

Back to the interaction - when The Great Aurora goes off with a creature and Journey to Eternity in play, Journey to Eternity will flip, saves the first creature, returns as a land, and is not destroyed by The Great Aurora because it flipped!

I also have to say that this *might* be a bit buggy in a sense, but the way The Great Aurora has always worked... that honestly is how it technically should work?
    Holy biscuits...that's amazing...

I've been playing around a lot with Journey, but hadn't thought to include The Great Aurora. I need to test this out now. Thanks for the tip!
    Also, Journey with Lil3 in the current event is interesting, you kill Chupacabra (for example) with here first and it dies and one of them brings it back and then the other one brings the _same_ copy of the creature back, it is not reinforced and whether it has the +3 depends on order but you do get 2 ETB effects!

But this one is interesting, thanks for the idea! Was planning on using Aurora with Garruk because he can save up his loyalty beforehand, but previously I'd been relying on Scrounger this is something nice and new to try!
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    HomeRn said:

I don't think it's a bug but it does sound in-line with how transforming supports are coded. It's actually not the same support flipping, it's one support being destroyed and at the same time a new support being cast to replace the old one. For proof, just use Sigil of the Empty Throne with transforming supports. You'll get an angel on the support flipping. So it's working correctly, just probably not how the devs mean for it to work. 
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Mainloop25 That logic does sound reasonable - never did try to figure out how that would work with Sigil.  Lets hope that the devs don't change the interactions with flipping supports!

Also - I do have a very vicious deck that uses the interaction I have mentioned (mainly Journey to Eternity), but it's in a green/white deck with Ajani; but once Hualti, Radiant Warrior is released... lets just say you don't want to run into it if you don't have removal that isn't destroy effects...
  • TheExaminer
    Options
    Matthew said:
    Best Brontodon combo is Oketra and Obelisk Spider. Saving Grace makes them all get yuge.
    Zetalpa too! :) 
  • TheExaminer
    Options
    HomeRn said:

That is what I am talking about, sounds very sweet! :) 
    Does this work with Hour of Revelation?
    Journey to Eternity is such a quality card, very fun to play with. Especially if you have a Ruin Rat on your side of the table ;) 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Continuing with the weird flip support interactions, apparently if you flip one, Starfield will bring back the original copy.  If a flipped support is destroyed, starfield brings it back post-flip.  Infinite dowsing rods anyone?