5* Archangel

xAzra3lx
xAzra3lx Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
Just want to get people's opinion on 5* Archangel. I just got enough covers to level him  but is he worth it? It's a lot of iso for someone who doesn't appear to have much utility  am I missing something? 

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread should tell you everything you need to know.

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Or, if you don't want to read that thread, I can sum up AA's skillset: he sucks. He sucks very badly.
  • Tiggida
    Tiggida Posts: 64 Match Maker
    I've had him champed since release and I use him in sim with Thor and Gambit. I don't have Blackbolt, but I do have other 5* champs to choose from. AA with Thorbit is a great team to deal lots of damage and slow the ai team right down. I have a lot of fun playing with that trio. 
  • Noobulator
    Noobulator Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    He’s a bottom feeder. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tiggida said:
    I've had him champed since release and I use him in sim with Thor and Gambit. I don't have Blackbolt, but I do have other 5* champs to choose from. AA with Thorbit is a great team to deal lots of damage and slow the ai team right down. I have a lot of fun playing with that trio. 

Gambit and Thor are a great duo, no doubt about that. But does Archangel really bring that much utility in the third position? I get that he has Active skills in the colors that Thorbit does not (blue and black), but there are other fivestars with that particular color combination - specifically I am looking at Silver Surfer. When Doc Ock may be a better option you are not looking good...

Heck, Dr Strange is a very solid third if you don't mind missing out on a black Active skill.

• Tiggida
    Quebbster said:
    Tiggida said:

Gambit and Thor are a great duo, no doubt about that. But does Archangel really bring that much utility in the third position? I get that he has Active skills in the colors that Thorbit does not (blue and black), but there are other fivestars with that particular color combination - specifically I am looking at Silver Surfer. When Doc Ock may be a better option you are not looking good...

Heck, Dr Strange is a very solid third if you don't mind missing out on a black Active skill.

I like him as a better 3rd than SS. If you have AA try that trio. I rarely take any real damage when facing 3X champed 5*s. The stun and ap denial make a bigger difference than most people realize. the enemy ai rarely has enough time to fire anything from my personal experience.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Strange is a much better third than AA. I'm guessing you don't have him. Cheaper, longer stun that also deals damage, a passive yellow that deals damage every time Gambit tries anything, an active yellow that's WAY better than Thor's, and you can mostly hide him behind the other two.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster said:
    Tiggida said:

On offense, I agree with Tiggida that AA is a decent for Thorbit - if you use his black strategically, he can stop the enemy from firing a power, then Gambit often destroys some of that AP before the countdowns expire (or you can use AA's green, if there's only one target left). He doesn't really speed up your team, but he's actually helpful to slow down the enemy team, even Gambit to some extent.
    He's much worse on defense since the AI cannot use the black strategically and it might fire his green over Thor's with multiple enemies remaining, which is a terrible idea.

Overall, he's definitely not someone I would champ if you have other options. All of his powers should do more damage, his passive does nothing 99% of the time, and blue in particular is way too expensive. He has some time left in latest legends tokens, though, so he's still got a chance to be reworked.
  • Tiggida
    edited February 2018
    bigsmooth said:
    Quebbster said:
    Tiggida said:

On offense, I agree with Tiggida that AA is a decent for Thorbit - if you use his black strategically, he can stop the enemy from firing a power, then Gambit often destroys some of that AP before the countdowns expire (or you can use AA's green, if there's only one target left). He doesn't really speed up your team, but he's actually helpful to slow down the enemy team, even Gambit to some extent.
    He's much worse on defense since the AI cannot use the black strategically and it might fire his green over Thor's with multiple enemies remaining, which is a terrible idea.

Overall, he's definitely not someone I would champ if you have other options. All of his powers should do more damage, his passive does nothing 99% of the time, and blue in particular is way too expensive. He has some time left in latest legends tokens, though, so he's still got a chance to be reworked.
    Exactly right. Gambit might fire red once (usually because I let him to lay down charged tiles) and that's it for ai powers that get fired in an entire match. And who really cares about defense??? Hits come no matter who you run for most of us lol. Blue is a little expensive, but Thor's passive usually gets his black and blue going pretty quick with cascades and both powers do a bit of damage. I'm not saying he's the best option or top tier, but he's not complete trash. Only thing I can say is try it for those who actually have all 3 champed.  Deciding whether or not to champ him definitely depends on who else you have. For reference my champed 5*s are Gambit, Thor, AA, BP, Thanos, OML, SS. Phoenix is fully covered (not champed) and Strange is at 12. 
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards

I'm more or less with everyone else.  I ended up with a lot of AA, unfortunately, so I champed him.  I don't regret it (I have 14 champ 5* total, so it was just a matter of Iso,) and I don't think he's the absolute worst 5* character, but the fact of the matter is he's not great.  His blue is too expensive, his green is ok, and his black is interesting but a real niche power.  His passive is the perfect counter to Vulture... but how great is that, really?

In general, if you have the Iso, I would not let 5* covers go to waste - the rewards are too good.  On the flip side, if AA will be your only 5* - don't.  Just don't.  He's not worth the scaling.  Even as a second with Gambit he's... meh.  You'll be a big target to all the Gambolts and Thorbit teams out there.  I'd only champ him if I already had two 5*s.

• Pezman
    Pezman Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2018
    I actually forward to champing angel. I didn’t realize how good DD is until I started playing with him. I use gamora for stun and adding angel for more match damage and hp should only make it more enjoyable to play with. Plus it helps he’s in latest even though I know other 5s can stun but are stuck in classics. (And yes I have gambit also) 
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    If there is ever an airborne 5* character AA will be a nice counter, until then he isn't worth the ISO.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed him since he is in latest and I had extra covers.  I use him in SIM with gambit and DD.  His stun helps DD do damage and his black can really help deny even more AP especially after you kill the other teams Gambit.  In PVP I will use him for 3-4 matches so save health packs for the climb.  None of his powers are wow, and none of his powers are horrible.  I would put him as lower mid tier and better in support.  He is more useful than BSSM who has similar active powers.  He won’t be leaving latest for a while so he will be required in PVE and if you pulle your latest when the next 5* comes out you will probably pull some more so if you don’t champ him you will be wasting covers.
  • uberhamster
    uberhamster Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Seems awful to me, especially coming after gambit and thor.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Made the decision to chase him or build up a hoard real easy.   :D
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    AA has 3 decent powers.  But they are all too expensive relative to what they do.  And time and time again we see that strong passives ultimately dominate every tier (3*if, 4*carol, medusa, gambit, thanos, etc).  AA'ss passive is laughably niche by comparison.  Make his powers cheaper and he becomes useful with a battery.  Lower his power costs and give him a second passive that sends enemies airborne on some contingency (and chains into his blue passive) and now you have a potentially interesting 5*.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    You should champ all the things because the champ rewards are ultimately worth it, but make no mistake, despite what's been stated above: AA sucks. You will use him when required and rarely any other time unless you're trolling yourself. 

He was just not a well-designed toon. Make all of his powers cost 2ap less and maybe he's slightly more viable. 

Yeah, unless Airborne characters completely take over the meta, he really doesn't have a place.  I'd bring him against Vulture, for example, since it's kind of fun to shut down Vulture completely (and if Vulture gets lucky and gets airborne it can really ruin your day,) but you're right, he's not anything approaching good.

Basically, if you're drawing (for example because you want more Thor or Ghost Rider,) and you've got other 5*s, he's worth champing.  Otherwise, he's definitely not - hoard instead.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    He seems like he'd be a good 4* counter to Vulture. But in 5* land he's a counter to no-one and isn't strong enough to boost anyone else up.

He's a counter character with nothing to counter.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    He’s a counter character in a tier that no toon utilizes said power.  Bottom of the barrel.