5* Archangel

2»

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    How long until he rotates out?  About 2 months?
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Way longer, thor has to be replaced first.  And we dont even know who that replacement is, so two months or so for him. Then at least another 2 months before AA leaves
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Way longer, thor has to be replaced first.  And we dont even know who that replacement is, so two months or so for him. Then at least another 2 months before AA leaves
    Yeah, AA will probably rotate out in early May.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Ghosty was added to Latests on 12 Feb Assuming the 6 weeks schedule per 5* holds true, and the release pattern follows recent 5* trends:

- the next 5* (replacing Thor) will debut around 9-12 Mar, and added to tokens on 26 Mar;

- the 5* after that (replacing Archangel) will debut around 20-23 Apr and be added to tokens on 7 May. I suspect this one might be an Infinity War tie-in character, since it coincides with the movie
  • leeleeshine
    leeleeshine Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    His angle of attack should have its cost reduced and send enemies airborne instead of stunning them. Lose the stun part of the passive and it's a decent power.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    So who reckons they'll introduce an airborne 5* character just as Archangel is rotating out of latest?  So people need to choose between spending their hoard on the awesome new character, or on the one that can counter the awesome new character.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Well, Jessica Jones can fly (if she sets her her mind to it).
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:

Sure, Jessica Jones can fly, but she's really bad at it.  Considering that there are a ton of Marvel characters who are very good fliers she's a very poor choice for that. :)

• Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    GrimSkald said:
    Dogface said:

Sure, Jessica Jones can fly, but she's really bad at it.  Considering that there are a ton of Marvel characters who are very good fliers she's a very poor choice for that. :)

I think they’d call that ability ‘Falling with style’.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doc L said:
    GrimSkald said:
    Dogface said:

Buzz Lightyear confirmed?  Disney owns Pixar and Marvel, so why not? :)
  • redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I'll make the unpopular opinion... but i think AA is pretty good. Top 5, no but still pretty good. I think people may be looking at him as a stand lone character in which he is awful but as a support character with gambit and Thor he does what everyone has been wanting... nerfs gambit into obscurity. for 14 black gambit becomes useless. 

My typical match goes like this...

focus black. opposing gambit drops a red, then another. at this point Thor is pretty close to half health while my gambit has been hoarding at least 2-3 red activates. Thor then goes nuts and starts grabbing up everything making blue and black even easier to get. I wait until gambit shoots a purple then I black out his red. then black out his purple. Gambit then does NOTHING. i'm gaining 8 ap minimum and he's draining 2 per turn. fire off 3 reds and their biggest threat is now gone, combine that with thors green and yellow and you may be looking at just gambit who is in the back still doing nothing. 4-5 turns with a character doing nothing is huge in 5* land. then i have a blue stun if for some reason i can't down him in 4-5 turns. 

next match the same except don't let gambit fire off as many reds (only 1 to get it rolling). Thor starts by gathering AP and as soon as opposing gambit fires his red and then purple black him out and do it all again. 

So in essence AA is not the tank or the DPS but as a support character he is really good. but with any finesse character i imagine the computer uses him like trash so be weary on D
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll make the unpopular opinion... but i think AA is pretty good. Top 5, no but still pretty good. I think people may be looking at him as a stand lone character in which he is awful but as a support character with gambit and Thor he does what everyone has been wanting... nerfs gambit into obscurity. for 14 black gambit becomes useless. 

focus black. opposing gambit drops a red, then another. at this point Thor is pretty close to half health while my gambit has been hoarding at least 2-3 red activates. Thor then goes nuts and starts grabbing up everything making blue and black even easier to get. I wait until gambit shoots a purple then I black out his red. then black out his purple. Gambit then does NOTHING. i'm gaining 8 ap minimum and he's draining 2 per turn. fire off 3 reds and their biggest threat is now gone, combine that with thors green and yellow and you may be looking at just gambit who is in the back still doing nothing. 4-5 turns with a character doing nothing is huge in 5* land. then i have a blue stun if for some reason i can't down him in 4-5 turns. 

next match the same except don't let gambit fire off as many reds (only 1 to get it rolling). Thor starts by gathering AP and as soon as opposing gambit fires his red and then purple black him out and do it all again. 

So in essence AA is not the tank or the DPS but as a support character he is really good. but with any finesse character i imagine the computer uses him like trash so be weary on D

You pointed out the problem yourself... you need 14 black AP for this to work. Thano5 can nerf Gambit pretty hard with Infinite Power (and Thor too for that matter), but getting the AP to use the skill in the first Place is the tricky bit.

I can absolutely agree that AA is weak on defense though since the AI can't play finess pieces though. :)

• redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    You pointed out the problem yourself... you need 14 black AP for this to work. Thano5 can nerf Gambit pretty hard with Infinite Power (and Thor too for that matter), but getting the AP to use the skill in the first Place is the tricky bit.

@Quebbster The only difference with Thanos is he hurts your team too (we've all been there when we fired purple first and kicked ourselves for it) and doesn't do any dmg when it expires. Not saying one is better than the other just they both have pros and cons. plus you really only need 7 to shut down red. It takes 6 turns for gambit to recharge his purple if he doesn't make matches so 7 black is more than enough to take him out of the fight. 14 is to shut down gambit entirely.

@Calnexin yes AA isn't doing the heavy lifting but in this meta of Gambit v Gambit, if i'm looking at a gambit, thor, DD or Gambit, XX, XX I find his ability to lock characters out of the fight very valuable. definitely not bottom of the barrel. plus i did say he makes gambit irrelevant WITH a good team, he is support. I in no advocate you jumping into 5* land with him as your first character.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    You can try to defend him all you want. I have many champed 5's and AA has no place in my lineup at any time. There are a dozen toons I would use before him with my Gambit and against another Gambit (since this is what we're talking about).

AA is slow as hell when enemy Gambit is stealing 2ap every turn. You are not shutting him down with AA--Gambit is shutting YOUR AA down. 

That's all there is to it. End of discussion.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    I found him pretty useful alongside boosted Thanos in Prodigal Sun pve.  I could usually do 4x matches on one node and 2x on another before I had to swap in Ock, Nat, Goblin, IM46, or any other 5* who is not Gambit, does not feed Gambit, and is thus otherwise irrelevant to the current game.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lots have been said about Archangel, and there are plenty of suggestions about how to buff him. Like many, I'm perplexed that Archie can't go Airborne, send an opponent Airborne, or both. If he could do either one of these (or both), he'd be much better (ok, reduce the cost of Angle of Attack too. 11AP is ridiculous). If so, his Blue passive would be much more dangerous, in contrast to the extremely niche counter it currently is. And his Black ability is called "Aerial Superiority", for goodness sake. How is he superior aerially if he's not in the air?

Vulture outclasses him in practically every way possible that it's not even funny. When I used Gambit/AA/Vulture, I always preferred to use Vulture's Blue over Archie's. I only use Archie's Green over Vulture's because I want the instant damage (which admittedly) is quite good for the cost and secondary effect
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doc L said:
    GrimSkald said:
    Dogface said:

Buzz Lightyear confirmed?  Disney owns Pixar and Marvel, so why not? :)
    If Buzz Lightyear made it into this game, I would forgive D3 for every rubbish move they've ever made, for the pure hilarity of it. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards

What I get from your message is basically that Thor is awesome at half health and that you need a Gambit to fight another Gambit. Doc Strange would do much more for you in that team. Get to 9 blue and the other team is mostly done (Gambit gets stunned and you can easily kill him, and then winning the match), also those three times that you mention that Gambit would fire would result in 18k from Strange passive.

The only good thing AA has, is that there are not that many good blue powers in 5 land. But Strange or Spidey are much better options than AA. I guess you have neither of those champed, and this is why you use AA.