Best Shield Training yet?

jym010
jym010 Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
Based on previous experiences I have had many issues with the shield training that has rewarded only those that can fully cover the latest of latest 4 stars.  I was very surprised this morning when I went in to maybe knock out a couple of nodes for the ISO to find that the required characters were Teen Jean, Ghostrider and Mr Fantastic (all of which I have champed).  I was able to speed through and get myself a Shuri cover lickity split!  I want to applaud the developers for listening to some of the negative feedback and giving players a little bit more of a chance to make a run and get the newest cover.

Comments

• rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Agreed. This made Shield Training much more fun.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sadly my team is being let down by Mr. F who can only reach lvl 116 but good to see players voices being heard and Shield Training broadened to reward more long time players. :smile:
  • bryduck
    bryduck Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Not for me; I couldn't even finish the first node. (3* player, none of these characters with more than one or two covers.) 
  • AionTeleos
    AionTeleos Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Wow! I actually hadn't even bothered to open the event and check it out. I'd just assumed the character requirements would be as ridiculous as they typically have been for Shield Training. Thanks for the heads-up!
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    For new players covering a classic character is harder than the new release. So your mileage may vary.
    And remember next Shield training the last release will be in packs again and likely a Shield Training Essential. Heck, they may even require both Purple Panther and Shuri.
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Wow! I actually hadn't even bothered to open the event and check it out. I'd just assumed the character requirements would be as ridiculous as they typically have been for Shield Training. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Second that!
  • bryduck
    Daiches said:
    For new players covering a classic character is harder than the new release. So your mileage may vary.
    And remember next Shield training the last release will be in packs again and likely a Shield Training Essential. Heck, they may even require both Purple Panther and Shuri.
    I must not be doing something right, then, because I have been able to champ all of the 3*s--except Angel. I don't have covers for any of the latest 4*s. Are players getting these covers from spending CP, which I haven't been doing because I don't have the HP to pay for new slots?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @bryduck While it is possible to acquire 4-Star characters from Heroic Tokens, the most consistent method of acquiring the Latest 4-Stars is to open up Latest Legend Tokens, as players are guaranteed at the very least to receive one of the 4-Star characters; Latest 4-Star characters have increased odds.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I loved it!! I have all 4*s championed except for some of the latest ones, so to me it was a reward for having played for over 3 years.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Agreed, while I expect this set of required characters was an exception, it was very welcome to see they were all characters I have had ample opportunity to get to level 209.  Thank you!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    With a requirement of L209 which take 11ish covers (I think not sure) a new player getting that on a new character release isn't more likely than a classic to the same.  This event is clearly not geared for new players and if it is then it's poorly geared overall...
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I have just under 20 champed 4*s and none of the three featured in this event are anywhere close.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The very first run was pretty good as I recall, when Rogue was introduced. I think it featured Cyclops, X-force Wolverine and Cyclops. Then the second run came around requiring a level 209 Rogue...
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker

I too was happily surprised to find the required characters for this SHIELD Training were older characters that I had long ago champed.  This was the first SHIELD Training in which I was able to get the "grand prize" new character cover.  I usually can only complete a handful of nodes. 

It was a nice change.  Thanks.

• bryduck
    Brigby said:
    @bryduck While it is possible to acquire 4-Star characters from Heroic Tokens, the most consistent method of acquiring the Latest 4-Stars is to open up Latest Legend Tokens, as players are guaranteed at the very least to receive one of the 4-Star characters; Latest 4-Star characters have increased odds.
    Ok, thanks for the response. Now all I need are the HP to pay for new slots . . .
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    For the first time I was able to fight one node that wasn't the first  in Shield Training. So, I'm very pleased with this one.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is the way shield training should be rewarding the players with a deep roster not just the ones who get the latest 4* to level 209 and have a deep roater
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    No. The best shield training was with rogue.
  • STERLING21JJ
    STERLING21JJ Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    I have enjoyed this training the best so far:)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    Brigby described it some time ago as a mode for vets to dig into, rewarding them for having had those 4*s for a while.

Which is what made us tilt our heads like a confused dachshund because it always required a level 209 brand new 4* in order to complete it.

Formatting the event like this with older 4*s required and only the bottom row requiring the latest 4* feels like a much more sensible way to do it, and also feels more in keeping with how Brigby suggested the devs want it to feel.