• nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2018
    I think there is only one solution to this:

https://imgur.com/a/JMgvD

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starfury said:
    I'd suggest dropping brackets altogether. Transform all placement rewards into percentile ranks and you're done. (i.e. T50 => top 5%)

It would be a simple change and quite simply more fair than the current system.
    One of the first runs of The Hulk had global placement rewards. I don't recall the exact numbers, but it was pretty cool.
    Of course, it was before time slices and 24 hour node refreshes, so it might be difficult to implement now. Rubberbanding was a thing then too, so you could bounce up and down the placement list quite a bit.
  • The_A_Train
    The_A_Train Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2018
    A better solution would be for them to keep the current slices but calculate placement based on how long each player spent in matches. The timer would start when player enters a match and stop when the victory splash screen displays. The first six matches would be calculated for each node as well as any incomplete attempts. 

This solves the tapping issue and it opens the competitive field up to a wider playerbase. Increased competition will also likely result in more spending. The benefits are myriad and the only people that won't benefit are the ones that rely on tapping for placement. 

*EDIT:

This means players would have 24 hours to complete a 24 hour node and could play when they are able. I suspect many players will still choose to adhere to scheduled clears to reduce interruptions, but it won't be mandatory. 48 hour subs will require some thought as the devs still want people coming back multiple times a day and the current optimal play for these subs is 8 clears instead of 7. 
    Progression would still be doled out by points. I think 5 clears on all nodes gets full progression across an event so I'd suggest that points be awarded to keep a similar relationship to progression rewards. 

@Brigby
  • The_A_Train
    Competitive play is always going to require some level of dedication to the game. I agree with @Ducky when he says fracturing the playerbase more would be detrimental to the game, but I don't see removing a slice as the answer without implementing a way for everyone to have a play time that allows them to compete. 

IMHO, the devs should see this type of request as a compliment to their game and the hard work they put into it. We want to play. We want to spend our time and money on them. We want to compete for the top rewards. This is all because they've put together an awesome game. Limiting players to specific play times in order to be competitive only limits player participation and income. 
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Timer based PVE is the answer to the problem here.  You can keep the current slices and brackets, but change placement to be the one with the lowest total play time for the event after scores are tallied.  This allows for competition more reflective of your roster, rather than how much time you have for tapping, which is impossible with this system.  It also lets you play at your own pace during the event.  I made a post about this a few weeks back:  

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70098/pve-fix-suggestion-change-how-placement-is-earned#latest
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Timer based PVE is the answer to the problem here.  You can keep the current slices and brackets, but change placement to be the one with the lowest total play time for the event after scores are tallied.  This allows for competition more reflective of your roster, rather than how much time you have for tapping, which is impossible with this system.  It also lets you play at your own pace during the event.  I made a post about this a few weeks back:  

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70098/pve-fix-suggestion-change-how-placement-is-earned#latest
    No thanks. Speed is already too important. I like playing around with some different teams other than my strongest team every time. I also play while doing other things and I don't like watching the enemy make moves.
    I don't think there is a real problem. Its hard to place top 1-20, and it should be. I'm fine playing for progression, taking whatever placement I get.
  • The_A_Train
    Straycat said:

No thanks. Speed is already too important. I like playing around with some different teams other than my strongest team every time. I also play while doing other things and I don't like watching the enemy make moves.
    I don't think there is a real problem. Its hard to place top 1-20, and it should be. I'm fine playing for progression, taking whatever placement I get.
    It wouldn't change much since you already play on a timer based system. Plus, in your own words, you're happy to play for progression and settle for w/e placement you get. How would making it so you could play "optimally" whenever you wanted be a negative? Worst case is you still get progression and accept a very similar placement reward...