5* Ghost Rider as essential 72h after being released in tokens UPDATED 2/13 OP no longer valid

Comments

• Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    The easiest way for them to address this would be to make the buyable cover 250 cp on its first run through the HfH store. This would give everyone a chance to play.
    Would they consider doing such a simple and fair solution, of course not.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 said:
    Its not that hard, Colog...I think you are overstating the issue.  It took me only 60 pulls to get my first ghost rider and only approximately a 100 to 120 pulls to get my second.  That's easy peezy.  Going to love playing a 515 level 5star essential with a 2 on 3 match.
    Here is a funny thing. When Daredevil was released I had a similar run of futility at getting his first cover. Nothing from the Boss token store and once he was in Latests I pulled constantly knowing he would be coming around as an essential.

The difference was they didn't make him an essential three days after he entered tokens. They had him show up six PvEs later one of those being a 7-day. That was three weeks of pulling for which I finally got my first cover two days before the first PvE featuring him as an essential. Three weeks versus three days.

The funny part is I felt like I had plenty of chances and RNG was being even harsher than it is for Reyes but I had resigned myself to missing out.

This time it just feels worse which says more about me, I suppose.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you’re basically right; of course it would be kinder to the players to keep the essential a ways off for a new 5.  But they have their patterns - 5 enters Latest store 2 weeks after new release, LLLCC, and when they come together, they come together. I dunno if we just were lucky before or if they want to put the screws on, but here we are.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just dipped into the hoard with the intention of pulling a Ghost Rider cover and got one on pull seven. I've done this ever since 5-star essential nodes became a thing in PvE and its never taken me more than ten pulls. I remember getting Archangel on three pulls.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:
    I just dipped into the hoard with the intention of pulling a Ghost Rider cover and got one on pull seven. I've done this ever since 5-star essential nodes became a thing in PvE and its never taken me more than ten pulls. I remember getting Archangel on three pulls.
    You are a lucky man...unfortunately, Colog and I were not so lucky :(
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    My luck hasn't been that good but similar.  I think Thor took me 12 pulls.  Both GR and SL (I know he as before the fhe required thing) I got on free tokens during event.  

Still RNG is RNG.  Last time I pulled was when AA first entered packs.  My goal was to get 1 AA and a 13th Gambit.  I don't remember how many pulls I did, but I got 8 AAs before I got that 1 Gambit.
  • Dormammu
    broll said:
     I got 8 AAs before I got that 1 Gambit.
    THAT sounds more like the RNG I know and love.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    So silly question maybe... How Do you know rider is the next essential?
  • Colognoisseur
    tiomono said:
    Wea re in the cycle of three Latests. Thor for Fight for Wakanda, Archangel for Venom Bomb, which means Reyes for the next PvE.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said: 
    Wea re in the cycle of three Latests. Thor for Fight for Wakanda, Archangel for Venom Bomb, which means Reyes for the next PvE.
    But that's assuming they are consistent. Which is not always the case. Considering they have not announced anything yet, why dash in with assumtions of worst case scenario getting people riled?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    tiomono said: 
    But that's assuming they are consistent. Which is not always the case. Considering they have not announced anything yet, why dash in with assumtions of worst case scenario getting people riled?
    They gave us a pattern to expect.  Outside of order and skipping some on boss events they haven't really broken it.  They have had the 5* be essential as soon as it came in packs and that was the last one.  It's 90+% likely to happen.  Sure something different could happen, but why set yourself up to be disappointed by hoping against huge odds or pretending not to know what's coming?
  • Colognoisseur
    I will be ecstatic to be proven wrong on this but Archangel being used as an essential at nearly the same point makes me think I have more chance of being correct.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    "it's really messed up that ghost rider will be essential 3 days after he enters tokens..."

/pulls 9 tokens and gets a Ghost Rider...

"maybe it isn't so bad after all...."

seriously though.  i liked it better when they gave us a cycle to get a character, but all moves lately, from shield training and so on, have been to get people to open tokens early and often.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    It's really frustrating as a competitive player that earns damn near all the rewards that are available to be forced to spend or hoard to be able to play all the content that is out there.  There were 3 tokens from the release store available - Boss event alliance progression, individual progression, and that vault.  I earned all 3 and got 0 Ghost Rider covers.  Since I've opened all my LTs and spent all my CP like a good little MPQer (as D3 purportedly wants) and consequently it's unlikely that I will have him rostered by the next PvE.

So yeah, hopefully they realize how unreasonable this is and delay his being essential.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I had a pretty good run of that myself, but Ghost Rider was the one that broke my streak. And there's no way I'm getting another token from this Crash with only 2 covers on Drax, so that's another little poke in the eye.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Darn... I am at 39 pulls and no GR yet. I did get the last cover for America, and 3 or 4 other 5*s at least.
  • Dormammu
    Driving new characters is what has kept this game going since 2013, when most other online mobile apps fade away after a year or two. If featuring  a new character on a 5-star essential node in PvE every now and then is what it takes to drive sales and keep this game going for another 5 years, so be it. Even without that node I've been able to place top 50, and it's not essential for progression. This is only a factor for people playing in the higher SCLs, and those players should have no problem mini-hoarding some LTs in preparation for 5-star releases (if missing out on that one node is really such a big deal to them).

As for the special SHIELD Training things, I have had no problem ignoring those and doing so has not stunted my ability to play or progress my roster in any way. Those events are such a tiny portion of MPQ's content and the developers have done a good job making sure everything else is accessible to all players, regardless if they are on day 1 or day 1700.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i pulled 1100 cp and about 40 latests today and ended up with 9 gr covers. 

i prefer to hoard to 1000 cp then pull my latests and cp. doesn't take as long as the 300 pull method. i've champed/covered every new 5* since gambit doing it.
  • John Wayne74
    John Wayne74 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Brigby said:
    Epic burn!!  Love it!!!!!