Oh my god, are we REALLY going to have to play this event again in a few weeks?

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, I totally took my 5*s and stacked down in 7, where the countdown tiles did very little (in my defence, I have a new born in the house, so time is restricted.) it was nice.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 said:
    Oh, I totally took my 5*s and stacked down in 7, where the countdown tiles did very little (in my defence, I have a new born in the house, so time is restricted.) it was nice.
    You can't begrudge anyone who has to change their play based on real life time constraints.  Its just the reality of life.  Some things have to be prioritized and have the flexibility to chose your time commitment in the game and still get decent rewards is very welcome change.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, if you guys don't do anything else to change the event, then change this.

Make the loaner nodes a one-shot-and-done.

I ended up having to sacrifice my placement, which otherwise was top 10 until tonight, because I could not beat those three nodes 3 times each with just a 4* to do the heavy lifting. Especially when their moves take SO LONG as they add special tiles and destroy tiles and duplicate special tiles and create critical tiles and cause cascades and more board shuffle...and then they make a match. And then you wait 5 seconds for the attack tile animation to happen.

And then it's my turn and I make a match and spend the next 30 seconds watching the enemy make their move again.

I thought 10 minutes would have been enough. I did the last node once and the middle node once and as a result finished 21st. What a total waste of my night, I might as well have made less effort throughout and finished 100th. Would have been the same result.

TL;DR - Making us do three completions of the three loaner nodes on the last day for no rewards is the dumbest PvE design you've done in a long time. Please no.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

TL;DR - Making us do three completions of the three loaner nodes on the last day for no rewards is the dumbest PvE design you've done in a long time. Please no.
    Bad luck you were in an early shard.  S1 fell on its sword to give notice to rest of the community
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker

I ended up having to sacrifice my placement, which otherwise was top 10 until tonight, because I could not beat those three nodes 3 times each with just a 4* to do the heavy lifting. Especially when their moves take SO LONG as they add special tiles and destroy tiles and duplicate special tiles and create critical tiles and cause cascades and more board shuffle...and then they make a match. And then you wait 5 seconds for the attack tile animation to happen.

And then it's my turn and I make a match and spend the next 30 seconds watching the enemy make their move again.

I thought 10 minutes would have been enough. I did the last node once and the middle node once and as a result finished 21st. What a total waste of my night, I might as well have made less effort throughout and finished 100th. Would have been the same result.

I'm sorry for your loss. I honestly started those clears 30mins to 45mins early, and by the time I finished it was time to do my normal clears. So I thought I was giving myself a blanket of time it turns out i only barely gave myself enough. I did manage to finish 9th overall which surprised me I was expecting low teens score wise
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I think it was just a bad start. Venom Bomb was awful on release too. Couple fixes, few reworks and it will be less painful. Hazards are OK, but not balanced well. Exploding tech does 3-4k aoe damage, but Royal shields is just bunch of protects straight 50? About Collapsing mines I even don't wanna talk. "Neutral" tiles, that destroy only your ap. Funny. Ultron and his goons are annoying by default (SWARM!) and Dark Avagers is just typical enemy's. And yeah, loaner node's...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Lesson learned, I guess. I man, I knew I'd have to do those I just didn't anticipate how damn long each turn would take.

Shoulda wiped them all out well before my final run. I'll remember next time.
    Though next time it'll probably show up when I have work, killing my final placement again.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
     required you to stopped using R&G to actually deal with the new tiles?
    Actually it required me to use Gamora/R&G due to the speed at which they kill everything and the comparative lack of AP they need to do it.  I love the game as much as anyone but there's no way around the fact that this event was uninspired and another token of the extent to which the devs are seemingly interested in manipulating people psychologically than creating fun and engaging content.
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Sandmaker said:
    What part of this event makes it more of a "chore" than other PvE events? Because it was more difficult and required you to stopped using R&G to actually deal with the new tiles?
    I still found Grockamoradusa to be the best tool for the job in most nodes, even with the annoying green Ultron lackeys passively zapping away and matching my strike tiles each turn. Quicker matches and fewer health packs needed. It didn't hurt that G4mora was buffed, too.
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    Personally, I do enjoy new content as these days I play mostly PvE & minimum PvP to only get the progression rewards that I am happy with...but I would not consider this event as part of it. I was very much looking forward to a new story based on Wakanda / Black Panther but only ended up being very disappointed.

New event, yes, so technically new content but considering it myself as a missed opportunity. Going to the trouble of creating something new only to plaster the Dark Avengers all over it seems kind of lame (mixed in with the most annoying goons in the game in my opinion which are the Ultron ones makes for a bad combination).

Further more, as far as new content is concerned, there was like one piece of dialogue on the loaner nodes to open up a each sub & then nothing except at the very end of each sub. Not much effort there either.

New elements are basically hazard tiles that are meh (borderline annoying mostly) & the fact that you get multiple loaner nodes to grind at the end (got better things to do than do 9 hits on the last with feature characters thank you very much) along with a few challenge nodes for a good Iso-8 reward which is cool (at least one thing, right?). Other than that, not much to it really.

Expectation wise, in comparison with other recent new PvE events, this one fell way short of Strange Sights for example which introduced much more in depth story & interesting mechanics or Venom Bomb that had its issues but introduced new goons to play against at least.

Overall, disappointing.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, it'll be back soon for Shuri.  If they wanted to fix it first, I'd like to see the dark avengers removed in favor of more interesting opponents, some wave nodes added, and maybe some tweaking to the hazard tiles.  Really, it's the first one that's most important to me.  Can't we fight someone that isn't a dark avenger?
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards

But then how did those other players knock you out of t10 playing under the same conditions?

Are they on steroids? Or...maybe better use of boosts & TU's.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    A few simple fixes would turn this event around.  1. remove the special tiles or 2. match all cascade and ap loss I suffer to the enemy or 3. remove the swarm happy ultron goon and replace with hammer goon. Quick easy fix.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Some good, some bad in my opinion.

Good:

The one-on-one Panther nodes were an awesome idea and the rewards were nice bonuses. I'd like to see more bonuses like this in events that highlight characters in the story. For example having Heart of Darkness have a node for Wolverine, a node for Daredevil and a node for Punisher. Or Webbed Wonder have Spiderman and Howard nodes. It was nice tying the story to my roster.

Having some Green Goblin in the mix was a nice change

The Hazard Tiles gave the event a different feel, even if they do need some tweaking. I appreciate the effort to make them more neutral, even if they weren't as neutral as they really need to be.

With Thor buffed and the Hazard Tiles not owned by the enemy, I had no reason to use Gambit!

The Shield Hazard was nicely balanced where I got some benefit and the enemy got some benefit. The Shields could have been a little stronger to make them more interesting.

I had a fun fight where I was down to Nightcrawler against a level 505 Daken and I got BAMF! going on a purple board. Downed Daken from about 40K health on a purple winfinite. First time I've really had Nightcrawler totally dominate a fight.

Bad:

They didn't need to have Hazard Tiles in every single node. 

As noted by many, the exploding tiles were too strong. If they were toned down just a bit I could have a strategic option to bring Quake and let them go off. But at SCL 9, I had to focus on just winning the match so quickly that exploders didn't go off. So every match was Thor + America Chavez + either Gamora or Nightcrawler.

The AP Hazard really needed to steal from both teams

As other stated, having to grind three loaner nodes at the end was a Royal Pain

It was pretty relentless without a few more goon-only nodes (and I don't consider Sentries to be goons since they move the board)

The Dark Avengers didn't bother me so much, but I have a Champed 5* Thor. I might feel differently if the buffed 5* for the event was someone I have who is poorly covered

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Neutral" tiles, that destroy only your ap. Funny.
    One of the node descriptions somewhat gave an explanation for that.  It mentioned that the Ultron goons didn't need to breathe the toxic dust kicked up by the destruction in the mine.  Of course, that node also had some HAMMER soldiers on the enemy team who presumably needed to breathe too ...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    But then how did those other players knock you out of t10 playing under the same conditions?

Are they on steroids? Or...maybe better use of boosts & TU's.
    Simply put they played smarter. Someone else said they did those nodes some time before their final clear of the sub event. And in hindsight I should have, too.

Regardless, this is the only event set up this way. I could also count Meet Rocket & Groot, but one of those nodes is against the squishy Doombots, so it almost doesn't count.

The nodes here are the exact opposite with 5 passives going off, then board shake followed by the AI actually making a move. Assuming they didn't also use an ability there too.
  • Davidw
    Davidw Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    My problem with this event was that I had neither Yondu or 5* Thor, so really couldn’t progress through it to make it count. Therefore, I couldn’t get the 4* BP reward I needed for this current event. So I just spent my time in PVP and have the best start I’ve ever had. Lol
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    I'm still wondering why the ai, who are attacking Wakanda, are getting help to defeat you defending it, rather than the other way round?
    Royal Shield being the really odd one, it should really be the other way around, teasing the ai with protection then swapping it around.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I liked it better than Honor Amongst Thieves at least, where even the story writing is bad.

I could see the first hazard tile being tuned down for higher SCLs. I didn't mind the other two, but it wouldn't hurt to make the Collapsing Mine do the same for the enemy, or increase enemy AP costs by 1.