Ixalan card costs

Options

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Yeah, 4 slots would have been nice, but I like that they made "reinforcement matters", so your 2nd copy of those first 2 vampire generate more tokens, as though they were effectively single copies.

If you cast 4 vampires, you (theoretically) get 4 tokens and deal 4 times the damage on attack, just as though you had 4 separate creatures out...with banding...
      banding, such a lovely ability ;)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You made my point... if you had the cards to make them work... there are more efficient routes... im sure i am going to be forced to use treasures for too many events... its one thing to lose a gem ... its another when your gem rewards the other player...

Same applies to KLD/AER energy cards... Almost all the good energy generators were either mythics or exclusives. Making the general population of cards that use said mechanic almost useless. Especially when trying to build energy you still have it stolen away by your opponent who happens to have the right cards. I still don't have Lightning runner.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    You made my point... if you had the cards to make them work... there are more efficient routes... im sure i am going to be forced to use treasures for too many events... its one thing to lose a gem ... its another when your gem rewards the other player...

Same applies to KLD/AER energy cards... Almost all the good energy generators were either mythics or exclusives. Making the general population of cards that use said mechanic almost useless. Especially when trying to build energy you still have it stolen away by your opponent who happens to have the right cards. I still don't have Lightning runner.
    neither do I :'(
  • Kardynal
    Kardynal Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thriving Ibex was never the powerhouse that JC intended it to be, was it.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:

I feel for ya buddy, I really do. *knuckle bump*

I tried like crazy to get this card... after the 'GREAT CONVERSION' [insert god-like echo] I BC'd a lot of cards ... only to have lightning runner be one of the last two mythics left in that set ... grrrrrrrrr

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    Gunmix25 said:

I feel for ya buddy, I really do. *knuckle bump*

I tried like crazy to get this card... after the 'GREAT CONVERSION' [insert god-like echo] I BC'd a lot of cards ... only to have lightning runner be one of the last two mythics left in that set ... grrrrrrrrr

And here I thought, based off how often I see it played against me, that I was the only one in the game who still didn't have Lightning Runner... ;) 
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Volrak said:
    Kardynal said:
    The problem is that cards like this are going too far.

This card is not weak by the standards of a broken card like Omniscience; it's not weak by the standards of a card that used to be broken like Drowner of Hope; it's not weak by the standards of an overpowered card like Gisela; it's not weak by the standards of a powerful/playable card like Abbot of Kher Keep. It's on a level with the kind of trash that never makes it into a deck, like Mindmelter, or Scrounger of Souls, or Duskwatch Recruiter.
    I think this judgement is premature.  There's no theoretical upper limit to how many explores can be activated per turn.  If you can easily and reliably explore 5 times a turn, or even 3, then this card will see play.  We won't know if that's the case until all cards are published.
    My issue with stuff like this is the abundance of cheap removal. 19 mana for a 4/4 that can grow quickly is all well and good but sometimes you are lucky to get a few attacks in before it's dead or back in your hand. I'd rather my 19 mana be better invested.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Edit: Dupe post. Mods please delete. I have the option to do so myself but apparently lack the permission...
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think that relies on cards, especially removal, not being adjusted later. There are a bunch of options right now, but there's nothing saying that won't change, and that if creatures go up in cost that removal won't also get more expensive as a result to counterbalance it.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- said:

My issue with stuff like this is the abundance of cheap removal. 19 mana for a 4/4 that can grow quickly is all well and good but sometimes you are lucky to get a few attacks in before it's dead or back in your hand. I'd rather my 19 mana be better invested.

Yep, removal is a _Serious_ problem right now. It's no one card, there's just way too much, creatures are close to useless for beatdown, you can expect them to die within 2 turns. Bolas being "destroy" skews things further since he's played a LOT, if he was -5/-5 instead of just destroy there'd be more ways to work around it.

Part of the reason the meta is skewed towards fast unstoppable kills (like cycling or combo decks) is _because_ creatures and long games are less viable. This isn't happening in a vacuum.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,079 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, outside of legacy I don't encounter people playing much removal as they used to, for some reason. 
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Kardynal said:
    Thriving Ibex was never the powerhouse that JC intended it to be, was it.
    Hey, don't drag me into this! Although I shouldn't be called Hibernum_JC, I'm just JC now! 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    we'll never forget thriving ibex, JC. Never. it's a powerhouse in all our hearts.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At least it was relatively cheap! 
  • khurram
    Options
    Plus, I mean not everything always works out exactly how you hope it would.
    I hope things are working out for you though. Do you play the game now, JC? Perhaps you can be part of this community as a player now, see how things seem like on this side.  :)
  • khurram
    edited February 2018
    Options
    We players can be very hard on the devs and certainly don't hesitate to speak our mind when it comes to the changes/features that we think are affecting the game in a negative way (But only because we are quite passionate about it). Things seem to be certainly improving in a lot of ways but I hope the team is ready for all sorts of feedback after the release of Ixalan.  :)

PS: I just sifted through the old posts and can appreciate all over again the frequency of your engagement with players during early days of the game, especially during the release of Zendiker block. Those were the days when we could pop all our questions, discuss cards and got responses right there.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Reading  the blog, i understood  that vampires reward reinforced creatures , so i don't think the first creature would get that reward .... 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ugh. They jumped the sharkasaurus....