Ixalan card costs

Options

Comments

• gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Or we didn't get the meaning of value town: it is more likely a vintage market where you can find incredibly overpriced second hand items that nobody wants, but that are being sold as they were the best of the best.
    I'm still waiting for the real thing to hit the game, because they might be keeping the best stuff to increase the surprise effect...
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree about Shadowed Caravel. Maybe if it was Crew 4 or even Crew 3? Right now it looks like Grim Flayer. Too expensive, hits the board too low powered, and will likely grow too slowly unless Explore is easily triggered. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gogol666 said:
    Or we didn't get the meaning of value town: it is more likely a vintage market where you can find incredibly overpriced second hand items that nobody wants, but that are being sold as they were the best of the best.
    I'm still waiting for the real thing to hit the game, because they might be keeping the best stuff to increase the surprise effect...
    that's what I'm banking on.  Kinda like how the mtg card game released planeswalker decks for Kaledesh (Nissa&Chandra) that were just bad and probably would not have received any attention had they not been pushed to the front of the line.

Obviously it's not working too well for a good portion of the commenters here...but that doesn't mean a good chunk of the other players might not be happy with it.

"Oooh cool!  It's pirate ships and dinosaurs!"
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd run Graven Abomination above most of the cards revealed so far. I think that's a good way to put this in perspective. 5 for a 3/1 colorless is certainly nice, but that doesn't mean mythics and rares being worse is anything but horrible.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    khurram said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    So no i don't think an op environment filled with  colossus and such is super healthy but I'd rather my colossus still cost the same and were smaller thant the other way around.
    Cheers! 
    How about if your colossus were smaller and it cost 10 more Mana? :) 
    Because that's how most of the new spoiled cards feel.
    @Tilwin90
    @Stormcrow

Guysguysguysguysguys don't you see what they're doing??

I mean, it all makes sense really...

Did you really expect a bunch of creaky old boats and someone's overgrown pet lizard to be able to rival the might of:

• Kaledesh's galactic-starships?  Bolas-sponsered.

• The mystical Egypt where all people do is fight until-they-die-then-keep-on-fighting-but-now-with-bodies-made-of-adamantium-crystal?  Also Bolas-sponsered.

Ixalan is clearly a planet of slackers.  They're all looking for the treasure of Orazca so they can all be lazy and eat fried goblin-monkey all day.  This is clearly not a planet of the best-of-the-best, and that's what Octagon is trying to tell us.
    So Gurren Lagann and Stargate (the movie... And maybe the first few seasons of SG-1) vs. One Piece and Jurassic Park, gotcha. 
  • knifelheim
    knifelheim Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Trying to stave off power creep is one thing, but I don't want to have to match 30+ gems to cast one card. That's not fun. The fun part about MtGPQ is casting cards. If I wanted to match gems all day, I'd be playing Candy Crush.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kardynal said:
    The problem is that cards like this are going too far.

This card is not weak by the standards of a broken card like Omniscience; it's not weak by the standards of a card that used to be broken like Drowner of Hope; it's not weak by the standards of an overpowered card like Gisela; it's not weak by the standards of a powerful/playable card like Abbot of Kher Keep. It's on a level with the kind of trash that never makes it into a deck, like Mindmelter, or Scrounger of Souls, or Duskwatch Recruiter.
    I think this judgement is premature.  There's no theoretical upper limit to how many explores can be activated per turn.  If you can easily and reliably explore 5 times a turn, or even 3, then this card will see play.  We won't know if that's the case until all cards are published.
  • Emanon2000
    Emanon2000 Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think they are betting too heavily on 'treasures' to make up for the costing...  its the 'new' crew/madness thats been used sooooo much (cough)... and it can be stolen...
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they are betting too heavily on 'treasures' to make up for the costing...  its the 'new' crew/madness thats been used sooooo much (cough)... and it can be stolen...
    Madness was good if you had all the pieces to make it work, but it was generally more efficient to go another route. Looter Scooter was always a good way to trigger it. But also many sets have had something like that. I remember trying to make void gems works at one point, but never was able to get the right cards to really make it a thing (basically just Ulamog)
  • Emanon2000
    Emanon2000 Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You made my point... if you had the cards to make them work... there are more efficient routes... im sure i am going to be forced to use treasures for too many events... its one thing to lose a gem ... its another when your gem rewards the other player...
  • Kardynal
    Kardynal Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Volrak said:
    Kardynal said:
    The problem is that cards like this are going too far.

This card is not weak by the standards of a broken card like Omniscience; it's not weak by the standards of a card that used to be broken like Drowner of Hope; it's not weak by the standards of an overpowered card like Gisela; it's not weak by the standards of a powerful/playable card like Abbot of Kher Keep. It's on a level with the kind of trash that never makes it into a deck, like Mindmelter, or Scrounger of Souls, or Duskwatch Recruiter.
    I think this judgement is premature.  There's no theoretical upper limit to how many explores can be activated per turn.  If you can easily and reliably explore 5 times a turn, or even 3, then this card will see play.  We won't know if that's the case until all cards are published.
    Maybe not a great card to kick off the spoilers with then, huh?

I've played paper through to RIX, and there's aren't any cards that are capable of exploring reliably 3 times a turn; Exploring is almost always a single triggered effect. This would be the card that comes closest:

But he's going to run you out of cards quick if all you do is explore. You have less lands than non-lands in your deck, after all.
  • Kardynal
    Options
    From what I've read, it sounds to me like treasures will most likely be created during your turn so your opponent will have the first chance to use them. I hope that isn't the case.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, I've also been thinking about it, and it seems like a huge downside that they get first pick!

As for explore, there is a merfolk that explores twice, and enchantments that cause you to explore whenever a creature enters the battlefield.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Yeah, I've also been thinking about it, and it seems like a huge downside that they get first pick!

As for explore, there is a merfolk that explores twice, and enchantments that cause you to explore whenever a creature enters the battlefield.

And the first spoilt black pirate seemed to be able to trigger himself, so with very lucky gem matches he could explore 3 times in a turn by himself.

• ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Thuran said:

And the first spoilt black pirate seemed to be able to trigger himself, so with very lucky gem matches he could explore 3 times in a turn by himself.

Upon second look, the first Vampire looks interesting too.  Although I think you have to reinforce him to get any tokens?

• Kardynal
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Thuran said:

Upon second look, the first Vampire looks interesting too.  Although I think you have to reinforce him to get any tokens?

[Marvin Fine]
    I imagine they mean if a single, unreinforced copy is in play, you get 1 1/1 token, and then an extra one for each reinforcement.

I don't particularly like the limiting factor that you can only have 1 other vampire in play. Not many opportunities for vampire tribal deck building there. Still, the tokens have lifelink, which is always a great ability.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, 4 slots would have been nice, but I like that they made "reinforcement matters", so your 2nd copy of those first 2 vampire generate more tokens, as though they were effectively single copies.

If you cast 4 vampires, you (theoretically) get 4 tokens and deal 4 times the damage on attack, just as though you had 4 separate creatures out...with banding...
  • Kardynal
    Options
    Thuran said:
    Yeah, 4 slots would have been nice, but I like that they made "reinforcement matters", so your 2nd copy of those first 2 vampire generate more tokens, as though they were effectively single copies.

If you cast 4 vampires, you (theoretically) get 4 tokens and deal 4 times the damage on attack, just as though you had 4 separate creatures out...with banding...
    'Reinforcement matters' is not new, we had it before in Origins with cards such as Faerie Miscreant and Cleric of the Forward Order. If they put it on some cards that don't suck, tho, that'll be nice.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kardynal said:
    Kinesia said:
    Thuran said:

[Marvin Fine]
    I imagine they mean if a single, unreinforced copy is in play, you get 1 1/1 token, and then an extra one for each reinforcement.

I don't particularly like the limiting factor that you can only have 1 other vampire in play. Not many opportunities for vampire tribal deck building there. Still, the tokens have lifelink, which is always a great ability.
    no you het a 1/1/ for the second copy and onwards, if i read it right. 
  • Kardynal
    Options
    Kardynal said:
    Kinesia said:
    Thuran said:

[Marvin Fine]

no you het a 1/1/ for the second copy and onwards, if i read it right. 
    I agree that's what the card said, but I doubt they've written it correctly for their intention.

Does reinforce still mean different things in different contexts (like Evolutionary Leap) like it used to under Hibernum's watch?