Can Steam users stay competitive?

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Steam Cloud sync works with MPQ? How do you get that to work?
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jorgon wrote:
    Out of the box?
    (Seriously; it's the default setting...)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Considering steam players are able to reset their tokens when they don't get the covers they want from them, and that since the launch of the steam version, I'd say they are pretty advantaged over the other players.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Microtom wrote:
    Considering steam players are able to reset their tokens when they don't get the covers they want from them, and that since the launch of the steam version, I'd say they are pretty advantaged over the other players.

I'm not sure what this is referring to, but I guess it could be some exploit I'm not aware of. However, it's definitely a stretch to say that steam users have an advantage over others just because it's possible to cheat. I'd like to think that the majority of players on all platforms don't cheat, even though it certainly is possible.

Back to the discussion; I play with steam on my desktop, and I'm typically able to stay competitive. Still, cross platform compatibility tops my MPQ wishlist by a wide margin.
    I started an account with my ipad, but it broke. So I started playing on steam. Now, I have a new tablet, but all my progress is on my PC.
    Even if I could play on the tablet, I wouldn't play at work or school. But I have a family with two kids (one of which is only 4 days old), and I'd like to be able to play every once in a while without secluding myself at a desk away from them.
    It would be far more convenient if I could play on whatever device I felt like playing on at the time.

Also, I don't know what it would take to make this happen, but it's hard for me to believe that it would really be that big of an issue for them to implement.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Microtom wrote:

I'm not sure what this is referring to, but I guess it could be some exploit I'm not aware of. However, it's definitely a stretch to say that steam users have an advantage over others just because it's possible to cheat. I'd like to think that the majority of players on all platforms don't cheat, even though it certainly is possible.

It's not really a cheat, it's more like a unintended shortcut similar to how people used to lower their MMR to be more competitive in pvp events. Before knowing about this bug, I was playing frequently on two computers, and I was often resetting my tokens by mistake. It's that simple, you can just do it without any intention of cheating.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Microtom wrote:
    Microtom wrote:

It's not really a cheat, it's more like a unintended shortcut similar to how people used to lower their MMR to be more competitive in pvp events. Before knowing about this bug, I was playing frequently on two computers, and I was often resetting my tokens by mistake. It's that simple, you can just do it without any intention of cheating.
    ...And on Your previous account You wasn't cheating at all?

How come You tend to show up occasionally and keep talking about how to cheat in this game?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Microtom wrote:
    Also, I don't know what it would take to make this happen, but it's hard for me to believe that it would really be that big of an issue for them to implement.
    I also don't have a clue why the didn't do it already. Would make the game more popular and more fair too.

I agree that the differences between steam and mobile can be just a little, but the fact is that is you put players from differents plataforms in the same bracket, the game isn't totally fair with both sides.

This is a fact that can't be ignored, and for the long term sucess of the game, developers have to solve this problem.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Gravoid wrote:
    Microtom wrote:
    I also don't have a clue why the didn't do it already. Would make the game more popular and more fair too.

I agree that the differences between steam and mobile can be just a little, but the fact is that is you put players from differents plataforms in the same bracket, the game isn't totally fair with both sides.

This is a fact that can't be ignored, and for the long term sucess of the game, developers have to solve this problem.

I get the feeling every decision is made with short term gain in mind rather then long term success.
  • Unknown
    Options
    That's sad, because if developers doesn't give attetion to long term players, the hardcore gamers base will shrink and the game will eventually die, like many others similar cases
  • Unknown
    Options
    The iso thing is a huge issue, and actually has become more of one now that pve nodes grant no first time bonus. My friend who started after me is getting 1K iso everyday through social media, im on my 152 daily reward, i can only imagine how much more powerful my roster would be with the 140K+ iso 8 that he got for free.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lets hope that devs at least say something about this matter
  • Unknown
    Options
    Still no answer of Devs about this matter?
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gravoid wrote:
    Still no answer of Devs about this matter?
    IceIX wrote:
    We actually just had a decently long discussion about that again today. It's not completely deprioritized, just not finalized in any way, shape or form for either the positive or the negative. Only thing you're really missing out on as a pure Steam user is the Facebook rewards sharing which isn't much if you A) Don't have tons of friends playing or B) Don't game the system with 3 highly active FB friends on a pseudo account.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Jorgon wrote:
    Out of the box?
    (Seriously; it's the default setting...)
    If it's not on by default:
    • Go to your Steam library
    • Right-click on MPQ
    • Go to Properties - Updates tab
    • Down the bottom you should see "Steam Cloud" - just make sure the box marked "Enable Steam Cloud synchronisation" is ticked and you should be golden
  • Unknown
    Options
    Give us the cross platform compatibility freedom Devs.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sorry to blow up the devs' spot if this was some sort of one-off favor, but after a few PMs to Ice I got my account manually transferred from Steam to Android. Life is so much easier when you can play on a mobile device. I'm not really sure why a Steam version exists for this type of game.

For those interested, the catch is that this is a transfer, not a link, so I can only play on Android now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    A huge advantage pc (steam) users have in speed that no one mentions is that you can see all the damn color pools without having to swipe across the screen. Big pain in the **** on mobile version and it doesn't seem like it would be that big of a fix
  • kaepamerica7
    Options
    I'm a stem user day 230 + days. i stay competitive but it does take alot of playing and i feel i have a good roster but if i could link steam on to my android that would be amazing!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm an Android player that wants it to sync to Steam so I can sneak a few games in on my PC at night.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am a steam player. I was able to play a lot though due to the fact I'm looking for work. I've slowed down my playtime a lot at the moment, but back when I use to play a lot. I would miss out on a lot of play time if I went to a mates or just wasn't home especially if there was an event finishing soon. Also at one point while I was doing an 8 week course, I was unable to play for most parts of the day so I missed out a lot. So all in all it is a lot harder for steam users to stay competitive, the only ones who can really stay competitive are the ones who don't have other commitments.