Can Steam users stay competitive?

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    If 'competitive' means top 1 then it hardly matters whether it's mobile or not because you need such a concentrated period of time to play to pull that off.

If by 'competitive' you mean that you could've got a top 25 and dropped to top 50 because you can't play on the go, that's certainly possible, though I don't see how dropping from top 25 to top 50 makes you uncompetitive. Less competitive, sure, but not uncompetitive.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If 'competitive' means top 1 then it hardly matters whether it's mobile or not because you need such a concentrated period of time to play to pull that off.

If by 'competitive' you mean that you could've got a top 25 and dropped to top 50 because you can't play on the go, that's certainly possible, though I don't see how dropping from top 25 to top 50 makes you uncompetitive. Less competitive, sure, but not uncompetitive.

For me it generally means getting top 50, which is what I mentioned in my other post. And yes, I often end up falling out of that top 50 because I cant play on the go. I leave for work at around position 40, cant play all day, then come home to find out I placed in the top 75. If I could just play the extra few matches I could keep my to 50. In order to do that, I need that extra hour at the end of the event. Again, not sure why you are arguing a requested change that would help quite a few people that have spoken up on this thread, especially if it doesnt end up effecting you at all if you dont want to link.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm a Steam user and while I do feel disadvantaged, I manage. I can do OK at midnight finishes, but can't do noon finishes on weekdays. Last PvE, I believe all the subs were midnight finishes (poor Europeans). The PvE before that I missed half the weekday subs, but I still managed Top 10. Shrug.

The second advantage I would have if I were to play on the go would be that I can use up all my health packs during the day, instead of just not playing at all. This gives me one extra sitting of playtime.

PvP, I feel like if I play well enough I can manage Top 10 no matter what. The midnight finishes are OK for me, as mentioned above, but the Wednesday Noon finishes are expensive and I gotta throw up a 24 hour shield. However, I do feel it's possible and it's not some unclimbable wall. I just can't break shield to push that extra few points, but I tend not to do that anyway
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a steam user on my 150th day. (HOly **** - this thread made me check and I didn't realise that it had been 5 solid months. Although that hourly counter is a grim reminder of my youth that I will never get back icon_e_surprised.gif)

For me having a mobile link wouldn't make me any more competitive. I have been doing quite a bit of business travel the last few months and some times work will get in the way of MPQ - that's just a fact of life. I play on my laptop - it's one of those ultrabook thingies with a touch screen. Where wifi is not available I have mobile tethering. I have played in hotel rooms, in airports, in taxis, in bed and and in the office when I was supposed to be working.

I have been placing in the top 2 in many of my pvp and pve events, currently in the top 5 in my season bracket and I have a fully covered IW and X-force. In fact the main issues effecting my competitiveness are:

1. Real life
    2. Awkward finishing times.

pve is tougher to manage but for pvp if you're know you're going to be away from your device - take an 8 hour shield or even a day long shield - it's worth it and you can lock in your points. For PVE, if you cannot play in the last hours it's possible to do well in events by grinding your nodes early in the last refresh so that the rubberbanders cannot play enough games to catch you at the last minute.

In short - time management will help you be competitive.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am a steam user that has spent a good bit on this game. I wish there was an easy way that I could even just link my PCs. Playing Mobile or PC would rock, but just being able to play laptop, windows tablet, windows phone, etc would be really nice. You can do it all while keeping it on a windows platform.
  • Unknown
    Options
    kidicarus wrote:
    Hi, I'm a steam user on my 150th day. (HOly **** - this thread made me check and I didn't realise that it had been 5 solid months. Although that hourly counter is a grim reminder of my youth that I will never get back icon_e_surprised.gif)

For me having a mobile link wouldn't make me any more competitive. I have been doing quite a bit of business travel the last few months and some times work will get in the way of MPQ - that's just a fact of life. I play on my laptop - it's one of those ultrabook thingies with a touch screen. Where wifi is not available I have mobile tethering. I have played in hotel rooms, in airports, in taxis, in bed and and in the office when I was supposed to be working.

I have been placing in the top 2 in many of my pvp and pve events, currently in the top 5 in my season bracket and I have a fully covered IW and X-force. In fact the main issues effecting my competitiveness are:

1. Real life
    2. Awkward finishing times.

pve is tougher to manage but for pvp if you're know you're going to be away from your device - take an 8 hour shield or even a day long shield - it's worth it and you can lock in your points. For PVE, if you cannot play in the last hours it's possible to do well in events by grinding your nodes early in the last refresh so that the rubberbanders cannot play enough games to catch you at the last minute.

In short - time management will help you be competitive.

I don't think it's really that much a matter of competitiveness but more of convenience and being able to play on the go. Smartphones were invented and became popular because of the convenience they bring. The convenience of being able to play on the go and the portability of the mobile phone is what caused mobile gaming to bloom. People will always have some pockets of time here and there where they have spare time to get in a match or 2 but not convenient enough to whip out a laptop or have no quick access to a PC/Mac. Phone tethering was mentioned in the above post but wouldn't it be a lot easier to just play straight from the phone instead?

Besides, one of the reasons for facebook/google+ linking is to be able to have a synced game across multiple different devices, so why should it be able to link to your PC/Mac should you have started from mobile but not the other way round? Why is Steam constantly the one platform to be cut off from this manner of portability and convenience?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jorgon wrote:
    I am a steam user that has spent a good bit on this game. I wish there was an easy way that I could even just link my PCs. Playing Mobile or PC would rock, but just being able to play laptop, windows tablet, windows phone, etc would be really nice. You can do it all while keeping it on a windows platform.

You can sync your PCs pretty easily, you just need to copy your save files over.

You can find them in Program Files(x86)\Steam\userdata\(steam ID number)\234330\remote\mpq_save.dat and mpq_auxiliary_save.dat
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Sure but unless your commute coincides with when an event is about to end, being to play in those two hours isn't going to put you on some kind of insurmountable disadvantage. For US based citizens, the only way I see that happening is on the west coast for the 9am finishes, unless your train leaves really late.

What about the people in the UK (like me) who can't install Steam on their work computers, and don't take their laptops to work as well? In the UK, a lot of the PvP (and some PvE) events finish at 5pm, which is when most people are just finishing work. How are they meant to play in the last few hours if they play on Steam? The simple answer is that they can't. However, by being mobile, they can break shields during their lunch break, try for an extra 150-200 points quickly, then re-shield for the last 4 hours or so. That time could make the difference between a top 20 finish for both character covers, and a top 50 finish for only one. Also, if they're like me, they might be able to just play it randomly through the day, having the odd match here or there, and retaliating when needed. I don't understand how you fail to see this as something that needs to be resolved.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't have a laptop and it's pretty inconvenient for me to carry a desktop around with me when I go outside.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Jorgon wrote:

You can sync your PCs pretty easily, you just need to copy your save files over.

You can find them in Program Files(x86)\Steam\userdata\(steam ID number)\234330\remote\mpq_save.dat and mpq_auxiliary_save.dat

There's also Steam Cloud sync, MPQ uses that. Decided to play on my laptop a couple times and didn't have to do anything to get my save there.
  • fedlex20
    fedlex20 Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I cant play at work. I befriended an IT guy and the best next thing i got was getting access to the forum icon_razz.gif
    So being able to play on my phone and then on my pc would be great. Specially when events ends in the middle of work day.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm a mobile only user but would love to be able to play on PC as well. I realize that's opposite most others in this thread, and I definitely understand and agree with the argument you're making. I think all players ought to have access to both platforms.

I was actually a part of the PC closed beta but for some reason was not given the account link when I requested it like some other players were icon_e_sad.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Plain and simple shouldn't a game, any game, on any platform be the same for all players?

Unless all steam players and mobile players are separated I see this as a major flaw, and a damn lazy one at that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Even with seasons encouraging everyone to place well in every event, as a steam user my advice is this. Tinykitty seasons. Do not try to place in every event. Do not stress out about an event that ends while you are at work. Still dig in and fight in some tournaments, just not all of them. Zen and relaxed may shower you with less rewards, but I am willing to bet your enjoyment of the game will increase greatly, maybe your quality of sleep, work and life in general will as well...

Zen-rant over
  • Unknown
    Options
    But your MPQ state of mind and playing style shouldn't be dictated by whichever platform you arbitrarily started on.

If the Steam version would have come with a warning label, I may have reconsidered my options. I figured synchronization across devices in 2014 was a given.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm a Steam user and play on a desktop PC at home only.
    I guess it could be nice to link PC and mobile...
    ... and it would be a nice opportunity for me to buy a mobile phone! icon_lol.gif

However, even if I was (I am) often upset by terrible ending times, and even if playing on a mobile phone will be convenient for me sometimes, I must confess that as I already play a few hours each evenings, I fear that having the opportunity for playing more would have a disastrous impact on my sanity and real life icon_twisted.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    ... and it would be a nice opportunity for me to buy a mobile phone! icon_lol.gif

However, even if I was (I am) often upset by terrible ending times, and even if playing on a mobile phone will be convenient for me sometimes, I must confess that as I already play a few hours each evenings, I fear that having the opportunity for playing more would have a disastrous impact on my sanity and real life icon_twisted.gif

You make a completely legit and very sane point however that option is still in our hands. Regardless of steam and mobile being linked you can still make the choice to play as often as you so desire. As far as I'm concerned all players regardless of platform should be on a level playing field and I don't care to hear from any devs or their hired propaganda officers on here about how small the differences are.
  • Unknown
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:

I started out as a mobile player...it did prove too addictive for me to handle responsibly so I
    -Deleted it from my phone
    -Re-installed it on my phone
    -deleted it again
    -started a steam account at home
    -still to date have to check myself to not let it have too much of an impact on sleep, sanity, and life
  • Unknown
    Options
    I started out playing on steam. I initially installed on the phone because I thought it'd be a timekiller while out and about, but it ended up being my main account because it was much easier to compete and my mobile team quickly surpassed my steam one. You can certainly play on steam just fine and I prefer the steam interface, but it's definitely disadvantaged.
  • Unknown
    Options
    adamLmpq wrote:
    I'm a mobile only user but would love to be able to play on PC as well. I realize that's opposite most others in this thread, and I definitely understand and agree with the argument you're making. I think all players ought to have access to both platforms.

I was actually a part of the PC closed beta but for some reason was not given the account link when I requested it like some other players were icon_e_sad.gif

I feel the same way. One thing that's a disadvantage for mobile players is that your battery runs low and sometimes I have to play attached to the charger and if that's the case, I'd rather be on my laptop.