is quake the worst?

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
she seems to get a pass in the discussions about worst 4* characters. maybe because she's so incredibly useless no one thinks to include her? at any rate, a niche passive, an ability that does no damage, doesn't accumulate or destroy ap, and a mediocre aoe ability.  

time for a buff...

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have an alliance mate who likes her, but I tend to agree with you. The aoe defense thing is a good idea in theory. Hasn't really helped in execution.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    She definitely needs a buff. Her passive is one of the more useful niche passives. At the time she was released every team in PvP was using Jean Grey — Quake was a solution to that, and possibly the first character released with an ability in direct response to another character. She's outdated now, like many of the older 4* characters. Hulkbuster was also on every team. Now, I can't remember the last time I saw a Hulkbuster in PvP.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    She’s got a unique to her only skill which you can take for what that’s worth.  Board shake with her 2 actives which is always useful.  She’s definitely underpowered though comparatively.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    She’s far from the worst. She’s kinda middle of the road with niche powers that make her very useful in certain matches. 
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    She definitely needs a buff. Her passive is one of the more useful niche passives. At the time she was released every team in PvP was using Jean Grey — Quake was a solution to that, and possibly the first character released with an ability in direct response to another character. She's outdated now, like many of the older 4* characters. Hulkbuster was also on every team. Now, I can't remember the last time I saw a Hulkbuster in PvP.
    Wasn't Jean Grey released as a direct response to ProfX?
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Her blue is pretty cool.  Especially when the AI keeps giving Invisible Woman yellow matches and puts her invis tile at the bottom corners.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Quake is quite good as a boardshake/support character.  She was back-end of the top tier when released, but power creep and 5* play has pushed her down into mid tier.  Nowhere near trash tier though.  Better than some recent releases, imo.

She does have a tough crash though, since her passive is useless and aoe sucks in 1v1, which might be why tc feels she is underwhelming.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    You need to have characters that are perceived to be weak in order to perceive other characters as strong. If we buff X character, then another Y character will be perceived as weak. Then, we'll get players asking to buff Y character. This is a cycle and a never-ending cycle.

Quake's abilities are basically:
    1) team damage + board shake
    2) reduce team damage by a sizeable amount
    3) destroys between 5 to 8 tiles of a colour of your choice

Quake is "niche" and behaves more like a support/strategic character. I guess your tactics are somewhere along doing high damages and ending the game quickly.

Some players like to enjoy playing the game tactically. So, MPQ has a variety of strategies that you can use to win the game. Obviously, Quake's abilities doesn't resonate with the strategies that you use.

Why not suggest how Quake's abilities can be improved so that you can perceive her to be strong? I could think of:

1) increased team damage + board shake + destroy all enemies' special tiles and neutralize all effects from enemies' special tiles that are destroyed

2) reduce team damage and enemy's team take up to 30% of original team damage dealt to you.

3) destroy x number of tiles of a chosen colour. You gain ap and reduce enemies's colour pool of the chosen colour by x.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,104 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just won her Crash yesterday, was fun zapping Invisible Woman's invisible tile! She is no worst than say Thing who is also a bit on the average side with a niche defensive power.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    I just won her Crash yesterday, was fun zapping Invisible Woman's invisible tile! She is no worst than say Thing who is also a bit on the average side with a niche defensive power.
    Thing is awful. Back to Quake. She's mediocre.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Quake is nowhere near the worst. High mid-tier and her blue is suprisingly good. Nice board shake and destroys countdowns too. She’s just outdated like so many characters desperate for a buff or rework 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quake was the very first 4* that I ever rostered. I got like a top 50 finish with her in my first ever pve event. Up to 27 champed 4s now and Quake sits at like 11 covers because friggin RNGesus pretty much will only give me her green lately. Aaaanyway, I love her board shake. Would love to see her get a buff.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sits at 13 covers and 120 on my roster, where all four stars go to die. I tried hard to get her covered pre-Luke cage but t wasn’t to be. Cage for me does the job of stopping goons far better so I stopped caring about quake.

Crash took 5 tries at 120 but managed so no need to feed in iso until I have no one else to care about.
  • hunky_funky
    hunky_funky Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    With her you literally can forget about Caltrops, Muscles and Spys and you call that useless?! Talk to Sandman, he knows what useless is...
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    Classic case of "it doesn't instakill everything, so it sucks" syndrome.

She's niche. Really great for the handful of situations suited to her, kinda "eh" otherwise. Green stands on its own, though, and her blue is really good for getting rid of color-specific special tiles (goon countdowns, Patch green, etc).
    Been saying words to the effect of the bold bit for a long time. Most character releases get viewed through the prism of PVP, where speed and nukability matter to the shield-hopping set; anybody who can't, as you put it, 'instakill everything' is irrelevant to that goal, and thus sucks.

That doesn't mean that every character is perfectly balanced, because that isn't true either, but support/niche characters don't get a lot of love unless they're accelerants. IM40 gets love because he's an amazing battery for 3* and 4* teams. America gets love because she does terrible, beautiful things when paired with 5* match damage.

Thing and Quake? Support characters, primarily about damage mitigation, but without the nuke that 4* Cage pairs with his own damage mitigation. That means they aren't PVP-useful, so they must suck.