How do you recycle/reroster your max champed characters?

Options

Comments

• Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Having one of every character makes my roster unwieldy enough, I don't want to deal with dupes of everyone. Also, don;t have a surplus of HP to spend on slots.

1* - I have Iron Man, Juggs and Storm max leveled (overkill, I know) and 1 each of the rest at level 1, but fully covered, just to say I have them all. I sell all 1*s as soon as I get them; not enough patience to milk them for XP.

2* - I keep a Mags, Storm, and Hawkeye max champed. All others I get to 144, and wait until I have a few extra covers in queue, then sell the champ, and re-roster with whatever covers I have. 

3* - I've had a few hit 266. I mostly treat these the same as the 2*s. I keep the max champ and set it to my BH until I have a few covers in the queue, then sell and re-roster. If it is a highly useful character, or the covers are coming slowly, I will temporarily roster a dupe, but I usually end up selling the max champ to roster the next new release. I'm not serious enough in PvP to need max champs for every event, and my 4*s are strong enough to carry a weak 3* on essential nodes.

4* - Down to only 7 non-champs (the 5 most recent, Howard, and Iceman), but my highest champ is only level 295. I doubt I'll be playing long enough to worry about dupes here.

5* - Ha! While I have at least one cover for all of them, none are fully covered and all are at level 255.
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vold said:
    So far I only recycle 2x *

i try to collect as many covers as possible until my oldest one is about to expire then I sell the max champ and recruit a new one with all the covers I’ve gathered.
    :)

i’m Curious why I keep reading people trying to conserve ISOs...

personally i I got too much to even know what to do with them and everyone is maxed where possible.

There seem to be 2 main phases of the game where you have more ISO than you can spend: during the early 2*->3* transition, and the early 3*->4* transition. (There's probably another for true end-game max-champed 5* players who have "won" MPQ) 

In both cases, you need to acquire a significant number of covers before you can champ your first character of the next tier (3* or 4*, respectively). During this time, you steadily accumulate ISO and can build up a significant surplus.

And it's not much of a drain on that stockpile when you make your first champ. But once you champ your 2nd or 3rd character, you start to hit 13 and 14 covers on other characters much more frequently, and you burn through your ISO reserves amazingly quickly.

When I transitioned 2*->3*, I had over 600k and thought people complaining about not having enough ISO were crazy. Once I started champing 3*, I was down to zero ISO within 4 days.

For my 4* transition, I had 1.2 million ISO saved up. That was gone within a week, even with the slower accumulation rate of 4* covers.

YMMV

(edited for clarity and to fix typos) 
    Interesting,

Sold all my maxed * except Jugs & Yelena (limited) for roster space quite a while ago.

Got all ** except Bagman champed and recycling them

40x *** champed 7x more still gathering covers.

Got 45x **** but none champ, max cover reached a character have reached 9 pieces

Only have 4x *****, each one cover

I keep ISO upgrading everyone to the max, not a single character is below their cap level.
    Total remaining now: 1,351,480

Unless people are buying large numbers of high class covers, I don't think there should be a ISO problem, gradually upgrading them bit by bit.

Zero ISO within 4x days or a week... Just how many covers are you getting within that time and how?
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I’ve only recycled two maxed 3*s so far (Cap and Black Widow). So far I’ve just waited until I get an extra cover then sell the maxed one and immediately re-roster. The iso is being fed into champing all my 4*s (31 so far). 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vold said:
    Vold said:

i try to collect as many covers as possible until my oldest one is about to expire then I sell the max champ and recruit a new one with all the covers I’ve gathered.

personally i I got too much to even know what to do with them and everyone is maxed where possible.

There seem to be 2 main phases of the game where you have more ISO than you can spend: during the early 2*->3* transition, and the early 3*->4* transition. (There's probably another for true end-game max-champed 5* players who have "won" MPQ) 

In both cases, you need to acquire a significant number of covers before you can champ your first character of the next tier (3* or 4*, respectively). During this time, you steadily accumulate ISO and can build up a significant surplus.

And it's not much of a drain on that stockpile when you make your first champ. But once you champ your 2nd or 3rd character, you start to hit 13 and 14 covers on other characters much more frequently, and you burn through your ISO reserves amazingly quickly.

When I transitioned 2*->3*, I had over 600k and thought people complaining about not having enough ISO were crazy. Once I started champing 3*, I was down to zero ISO within 4 days.

For my 4* transition, I had 1.2 million ISO saved up. That was gone within a week, even with the slower accumulation rate of 4* covers.

YMMV

Interesting,

Sold all my maxed * except Jugs & Yelena (limited) for roster space quite a while ago.

Got 45x **** but none champ, max cover reached a character have reached 9 pieces

I keep ISO upgrading everyone to the max, not a single character is below their cap level.

Unless people are buying large numbers of high class covers, I don't think there should be a ISO problem, gradually upgrading them bit by bit.

Zero ISO within 4x days or a week... Just how many covers are you getting within that time and how?
    The bolded is where the big problem lies. Champing a fourstar costs Three times what it costs to champ a Threestar (360K ISO vs 120K ISO). The ISO you currently have stockpiled is enough to champ 4 fourstars... then you need to find the ISO for the other 41, not to mention the 15 that you haven't rostered yet. The last levels are the most expensive too, so you are only at the very start of the problem.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Main reason why I haven't sold some 266 3*s is that I don't really need the iso. I have all but 6 (Dino and Howard included) 4*s champed. I don't level cap everyone, but by the time I am ready to champ someone new I will easily have enough iso before any covers expire. I could start leveling 5*s, but without covers there's no real reason.

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2*s - when a character hits 144, I sell him as soon as I get another cover to replace him.  A 1-cover 2* or a 144 2* doesn't matter for essentials.

3* - when a character hits 266, I use the next cover to start a dupe and keep the 266.  If I start to have trouble with uneven covers, then I'll make him a bonus hero.  That gives me plenty of covers to champ him again with no waste.

4* - haven't got that far yet, but I'll do the same as I do with the 3*s.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Vold said:
    Vold said:

YMMV

Interesting,

The bolded is where the big problem lies. Champing a fourstar costs Three times what it costs to champ a Threestar (360K ISO vs 120K ISO). The ISO you currently have stockpiled is enough to champ 4 fourstars... then you need to find the ISO for the other 41, not to mention the 15 that you haven't rostered yet. The last levels are the most expensive too, so you are only at the very start of the problem.
    Exactly this. Let’s assume I gifted you every single 4* in the game max-covered and at level 209. To take them to 270 you’d need over 14 million iso. As you’re collecting that, realize new characters are being released at a rapid rate. Now people are farming and also trying to champ 5s and the iso drought becomes very real. I had 3 million at your stage of the game by the way. Once I had multiple 4s hit max at once it was gone quick but I had a nice jump to the 4 tier. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,858 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Vold said:
    Vold said:

YMMV

Interesting,

Exactly this. And things can throw further spanners in the work. At the beginning of the week I got a Gwenpool cover on the vine and so decided to finally champ her - about 130k needed as she was parked in low 200's. No problem, solid plan would also net me an LT. Then yesterday after having a yellow R4G sitting on the vine for a few days, HFH decides to throw me the green cover I need to champ him. Now all of a sudden I need 300,000+ iso and I have around 110,000 if I want to champ them both and I only have a day or so to decide what to do before the HFH offer expires. Gonna be hard to have to waste one of those covers if I can't get the iso in time... :(
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Vold said:
    Vold said:

YMMV

Interesting,

Again, YMMV, but let's move forward in time a few weeks, to a point where, for your three or four best-covered 4*s you have 2 characters at 13 covers (let's call them nightcrawler and Vulture) and and one or two at 12 (say, invisible woman and maybe Rogue, because it makes my example easy to follow). 

Deadpool vs MPQ finishes tomorrow. If you finish top 10 in (SCL 8) and you reached progression (no late bracket sniping), then you earned a nightcrawler cover (progression) and two IW covers (placement) plus a bunch of cp. Cash in those cp (2 pulls?) on classics and throw a Bonus Hero cover in there for good measure, and you may very well have 3-4 new 4* characters that have 14+ covers, all earned over a 3 day period. 

Will that always happen? No. But it becomes more likely as you proceed further into 4* land.

Also keep in mind that the highest levels cost the most. I believe 9 covers (your current max covered 4*) is right near the point at which cover prices get particularly expensive. EDIT - yeah, it looks like for 4*s, level costs start spiking around 175.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Since I am in the 4*-5* tier I sell my max champed 2* as soon as I get one cover for them to replace in roster.  I just need the two stars to get into nodes for pve ddq etc.  I always have at least three 2* champed at some level so DDQ is no problem and in PVE they are just along for the ride with my 4* and 5*s. 

3*s I do the same thing with except for  Dr Strange and IM40 for the same reason above.  all other 3* are usually just along for the ride.  I'm not close to max champing any 4 or 5* yet.  
  • Straycat
    Options
    Exactly this. Let’s assume I gifted you every single 4* in the game max-covered and at level 209. To take them to 270 you’d need over 14 million iso. As you’re collecting that, realize new characters are being released at a rapid rate. Now people are farming and also trying to champ 5s and the iso drought becomes very real. I had 3 million at your stage of the game by the way. Once I had multiple 4s hit max at once it was gone quick but I had a nice jump to the 4 tier. 
    That would be a cruel gift.

Lets assume I gave you the latest 12 at level 209, and tokens only gave you latest 12 characters. Then you only need 3 million iso. Vaulting doesn't look so bad now does it?
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vold said:
    Vold said:

YMMV

Interesting,

Again, YMMV, but let's move forward in time a few weeks, to a point where, for your three or four best-covered 4*s you have 2 characters at 13 covers (let's call them nightcrawler and Vulture) and and one or two at 12 (say, invisible woman and maybe Rogue, because it makes my example easy to follow). 

Deadpool vs MPQ finishes tomorrow. If you finish top 10 in (SCL 8) and you reached progression (no late bracket sniping), then you earned a nightcrawler cover (progression) and two IW covers (placement) plus a bunch of cp. Cash in those cp (2 pulls?) on classics and throw a Bonus Hero cover in there for good measure, and you may very well have 3-4 new 4* characters that have 14+ covers, all earned over a 3 day period. 

Will that always happen? No. But it becomes more likely as you proceed further into 4* land.

Also keep in mind that the highest levels cost the most. I believe 9 covers (your current max covered 4*) is right near the point at which cover prices get particularly expensive. EDIT - yeah, it looks like for 4*s, level costs start spiking around 175.
    Well then it's a good thing I'm not topping the events. :)
    As that's the only way as I mentioned, I can think of to suddenly get into such situation. Multiple covers through purchases or top score winnings. Which I'm not doing either way.

Seems like I manage to avoid bankruptcy when transitioning to champing * * *

Let's see how it goes with the next. :)
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Actually, the t10 finish only gives you the IW covers.

Progression plus cp pulls plus a bonus hero cover could still easily give you three 4* champs in only a few days.

EDIT - if I may give you some unsolicited advice: you might want to stop investing iso leveling your 4*s until they reach 13 covers. There are 2 main reasons:
    - 4* cover rarity means that you don't want to waste them if at all possible, and champing is how you avoid that waste
    - 4* power is often very dependent on cover configuration (eg Peggy is usually best run at 5/3/5 - having her blue at 3 covers (5/5/3) makes her much less effective). Champing lets you reconfigure a character for maximum effectiveness.

Not having enough ISO on hand to do either of the above is frustrating, and at this point you can take action to avoid it. The return on investment from spending ISO leveling mid-covered 4*s is also pretty minimal (aside from Crash fights, perhaps).

EDIT 2 - just to be clear, I am usually a t50 PvE player, not t10. I have had some rare t10 finishes if there is a particular reward I really want and it lines up with my RL commitments. Pvp is 575 for the cp, when I have time. 

Also, I have run into this 4* iso shortage using the strategy of keeping all 4* characters at lvl 70 until I champ then. The only exception is if I have one sufficiently covered to have a chance at winning their crash if I level them to 150ish.

Again, YMMV, but that's been my experience. (note: roster in sig is out of date. All 2*s rostered, all but two 3*s champed, all 4*s rostered, with 12 champs currently). 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Straycat said:

Lets assume I gave you the latest 12 at level 209, and tokens only gave you latest 12 characters. Then you only need 3 million iso. Vaulting doesn't look so bad now does it?
    Seeing as how in my scenario, all characters were cover-maxed, what you pull from tokens doesn’t matter. Which is the scenario I’m in currently. I’m not opening any tokens other than standards or the three event tokens from PVP. Everything else is getting hoarded because vaulting, no vaulting, half-vaulting, whatever... the real problem for me is iso. Covers are not an issue. I have such a backlog of tokens and CP I could probably get any any non-classic 5 in the game cover maxed with ease. But it does not matter if I don’t have the Iso to champ them. If your goal is to champ everyone then all vaulting does in this scenario is makes your cover acquisition uneven. You still need the iso, which is the point we are discussing. 
  • Straycat
    Options
    Straycat said:

Seeing as how in my scenario, all characters were cover-maxed, what you pull from tokens doesn’t matter. Which is the scenario I’m in currently. I’m not opening any tokens other than standards or the three event tokens from PVP. Everything else is getting hoarded because vaulting, no vaulting, half-vaulting, whatever... the real problem for me is iso. Covers are not an issue. I have such a backlog of tokens and CP I could probably get any any non-classic 5 in the game cover maxed with ease. But it does not matter if I don’t have the Iso to champ them. If your goal is to champ everyone then all vaulting does in this scenario is makes your cover acquisition uneven. You still need the iso, which is the point we are discussing. 
    I know you're talking about iso, I was saying your scenario would be manageable during vaulting since you would only need 3 million for 12 characters instead of 14 mil for 56.
    What you pull definitely matters when you need iso. Champ rewards not only give iso and xp, but it is also not giving you a hungry mouth to feed. When I was iso starved I would almost rather pull an unusable dupe than a 14th cover. 
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wait, how do you make a dupe while champing a character?  It seems like the cover is intended to go to the champed character.  The only time I could make a dupe was when the character was champed max or I made another dupe before I champed a character.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Wait, how do you make a dupe while champing a character?  It seems like the cover is intended to go to the champed character.  The only time I could make a dupe was when the character was champed max or I made another dupe before I champed a character.
    Say you have a given character champed (we'll use IM40 as an example) and he's at Level 257 and you want to start a dupe. When the next cover comes in, open your queue. In the top right corner, there's a little star. If you tap on that, a box pops up saying you already have IM40 on your roster, then asks if you want to recruit a new IM40, or use the cover to add a level to the champ. 

So long as you have enough HP to open a slot (or any empty one to begin with), you'll roster a dupe IM40 if you select recruit. 

Now, any new covers that come in for IM40 will by default add levels to the champ until it's maxed if you apply covers from your queue. If you want to add covers to the dupe, you need to go to the dupe IM40 on your roster and apply the covers manually there.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Keep max champs to use.  Sell the first dupe when it hits 266/370 and then start over.  I don't have time to waste managing my roster to the detail required to start dupes early.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thank you DarthDeVo.  I've been wondering about that, when people talk about duping characters before they get max champed.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you DarthDeVo.  I've been wondering about that, when people talk about duping characters before they get max champed.
    Well, Aes technically beat me to it. Although I did think it important to mention the bit about other covers that come in will be applied to the champ if you just hit "Add Level" from your queue. 

It becomes such a force of habit to hit that button, that you have to retrain your brain a bit to not automatically do it if you're intending to apply the cover to your dupe instead.